Search for content in message boards

Sarah Mitchell

Sarah Mitchell

Posted: 20 Jul 2013 1:15AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Mitchell. Orford
I am looking for information on Sarah Mitchell who was born on July 9, 1872 in Kilmeague, Kildare, Ireland. Her Father was Patrick Mitchell and Mother was Elizabeth or Eliza Orford. She has several brother and sisters. One of her brother John was to America and settled in NYC. Also Mary came to the USA along with Michele, Delia, James and Patrick. I believe she stayed in Ireland along with her sister Anne. So far I have not been able to find anything about her. They lived in Kildare, Kildare Ireland. Any help would be great.

Re: Sarah Mitchell

Posted: 20 Jul 2013 4:06PM GMT
On the 1901 census, there is an Elizia (sic) Mitchell + daughter Sarah Nolan aged 27 + son in law Michael Nolan + daughter Maggie aged 24 living at Kingsbog/Common, Co. Kildare. I wonder if this could be your Sarah? (age is almost right, and mother correct) although area is not Kilmeage.

Here is Sarah's Civil marriage info (same for Michael Nolan, so a match):

Ireland, Civil Registration Marriages Index, 1845-1958
Name: Sarah Mitchell
Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1899
Registration District: Naas
Volume: 2
Page Number: 747
FHL Film Number: 101259

You would have to purchase the record from groireland, or view the film at your local FH centre to see if her father was Patrick.

I can't find the family in 1911, which may mean that they emigrated, or just weren't enumerated.

Good luck!

Posted: 20 Jul 2013 4:09PM GMT
Surnames: MITCHELL, BREEN, NOWLAN, ORFORD
A Sarah Mitchell married in 1899 and this marriage is registered at Naas, so a good chance that this might be your Sarah. The only way to find out more would be to order a copy of the registration (similar info to that on an official cert). On that you would have her father's name.
If correct, then you could go on to find out more about her, using her married name.
I am taking a note that you have ORFORDs in your family. I have one as a Sponsor at a Baptism of a JOHN BREEN in 1841 and wonder if there was a family connection. JOHN BREEN's mother was formerly ANNE NOWLAN (from Castledermot). I am just mentioning these names in case you should ever find a connection.
Joy

Posted: 20 Jul 2013 4:25PM GMT
Dancer,
You and I posted replies at the same time. I am very interested in yours and in particular your fine in the 1901 Census. The NOLANs and NOWLANs could be one and the same - all from more or less the same area. Lots more research required by me too.

Posted: 21 Jul 2013 4:16PM GMT
Surnames: Orford, Michell
Thanks for the information. Sarah is a hard on eot find out about. From what different relatives have said I beleive she stayed in Irealnd along with her sister Anne. Most of the other immigrated to America.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions