Search for content in message boards

Kraemer/Milwaukee

Kraemer/Milwaukee

Kevina Munnich (View posts)
Posted: 15 Jul 2003 2:47AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Kraemer
I am looking for relatives of Fr. Fintan (Henry) Kraemer, BD 18 Apr1868 Leitstadt, Rheinpflaz, Bayern, Germany. Parents: Wilhelm Kraemer/Maria Cleophae Gunther (Guennther). At least 2 siblings: Fried.W. Kraemer who was living in Milwaukee; Margaret Elsken who was in Subiaco, MO

Any information on this family would be appreciated.

kevina@munnich.com

Re: Kraemer/Milwaukee

Posted: 5 Jan 2007 9:31PM GMT
Hi Kevina!
I found a photo of Mrs. F.W. Kraemer and on the back it says "Milwaukee, Oregon" So perhaps you are looking in the wrong Milwaukee. There are some other unidentified people in a photo with this same woman, but I don't know if they are Kraemers. I have been told that Gretchen Kraemer Elsken went to Oregon in 1946 to visit relatives there so that is probably when the photo was taken.

Posted: 5 Jan 2007 9:31PM GMT
Hi Kevina!
I found a photo of Mrs. F.W. Kraemer and on the back it says "Milwaukee, Oregon" So perhaps you are looking in the wrong Milwaukee. There are some other unidentified people in a photo with this same woman, but I don't know if they are Kraemers. I have been told that Gretchen Kraemer Elsken went to Oregon in 1946 to visit relatives there so that is probably when the photo was taken.

Posted: 5 Jan 2007 11:05PM GMT
Surnames: Kraemer/Frey
Katrina?

You may be right. The info was from the Provincial House. Have you followed the Oregon trail?

Actually I haven't done more on this genealogy and, while I have done some with photos, I haven't found more for you.

I did recontact the descendant of the boy in the "Arkansas Traveler" photo :)

I will keep your contact info - please let me know if it changes...and where are you located??

Kevina
kevina@munnich.com

Re: Kraemer & Krämer in Milwaukee's German Newspapers Index

Posted: 31 Dec 2012 2:15PM GMT
Edited: 31 Dec 2012 2:15PM GMT
Surnames: Kraemer Krämer
"I am looking for relatives of Fr. Fintan (Henry) Kraemer, BD 18 Apr 1868 Leitstadt, Rheinpflaz, Bayern, Germany ... Fried. W. Kraemer who was living in Milwaukee ..."

I've indexed possible matches to your Friedrich W. Kraemer from local German newspapers. There are over 300 occurrences of Kraemer & Krämer listed in "Milwaukee's German Newspapers; an index of death notices and related items" (1844-1950).

It's important to consider both spellings of the name, as well as the entries for the nickname Fritz.

Gary Rebholz, compiler/editor
Milwaukee Wis.
gary.rebholz@gmail.com
Indexing Milwaukee's German newspapers continuously since 2007

Posted: 31 Dec 2012 3:14PM GMT
Thank you for checking. Is there anywhere I can get these online? I'm in Minneapolis.

I'm specifically looking for a relationship with the Frey family of NYC. Jacob Frey's wife Magdalena traveled to Germany with Fr. Fintan and her eldest granddaughter. He was apparently born in Leipzig area. Her maiden name was Spohrer.

The obituaries might have mentioned relatives.

Posted: 7 Jan 2013 3:02AM GMT
Edited: 10 Jan 2013 3:15PM GMT
Like many valuable historic resources, the German newspapers are not online. My indexing is ongoing, and I've accessed about 750 rolls of microfilm and over 30 titles (some inter-related). An outdated copy is printed and cataloged at one local library. I removed a public terminal with the updated index from another library in November 2012 due to repeated attempts to steal the data file. But the information may help you at some time in the future.

Gary Rebholz
Milwaukee, Wis.

Re: Milwaukee, Wisconsin versus Milwaukie, Oregon

Posted: 29 Apr 2013 10:59PM GMT
Edited: 1 May 2013 12:23PM GMT
"I found a photo of Mrs. F.W. Kraemer and on the back it says "Milwaukee, Oregon" So perhaps you are looking in the wrong Milwaukee ..."

Isn't that wild? Milwaukie, Oregon is a real place and most Milwaukee, Wisconsinites don't know it exists.
A very early title of one of Milwaukee, Wis.'s German papers included the "Milwaukie" spelling.

"Milwaukee's German Newspapers; an index of death notices and related items" (1844-1950).
Gary Rebholz, compiler/editor
Milwaukee Wis.
gary.rebholz@gmail.com
Indexing Milwaukee's German newspapers continuously since 2007... helping family researchers find their ancestors among Milwaukee's 99%.

Posted: 30 Apr 2013 2:02AM GMT
Could you send a copy of the picture? Where did you find it?

I had heard there was a Milwaukee in Oregon but haven't followed up very well on that information.

Posted: 1 May 2013 12:18PM GMT
Contact the poster kmelsken for a copy of the photo. (I'm not a Kraemer researcher)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions