Search for content in message boards

Peter Chase (Brother of Bela)

Peter Chase (Brother of Bela)

Bonnie (View posts)
Posted: 11 Jan 2003 3:37AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 13 Jan 2013 1:21PM GMT
Surnames: Chase, Aldrich, Chambers, Allen Durfee, Barnes, Cramer, Crainer, Crainmer
Is anyone aware of a marriage PRIOR to 1827 for Peter Chase (son of Abel And Lydia Aldrich Chase and brother to Bela Chase)? Bela and Peter Chase were in Novi prior to moving to Livingston County and then (Bela at least) to Kent County.

A Civil War era newspaper clipping in the Bible of my g-g-grandmother Lydia O. CHASE Chambers (wife of Elihu T. Chambers, Alpine Township) is my only clue to her parentage. On the clipping Lydia had written “My brother.” The clipping 'had report' of the death of a Thomas C. Chase who served in the Michigan 26th Infantry Company B as reported by a cousin, Allen Durfee of Iosco. (The demise part proved false – he was mustered out alive). A response from an earlier posting gave me the information that the cousin of Thomas mentioned in the clipping, Allen Durfee, was the son of Pamelia CHASE Durfee, daughter of Abel Chase & Lydia Aldrich (in 7 Generations of Descendants of Aquila and Thomas Chase). I learned that the wife of this Thomas C. Chase was Louise Barnes (collected his Civil War pension and appears with him in Michigan census) and found that they are both buried in Elsie Village Cemetery. This gave me his death date. "MY" Thomas C. Chase (of Co. B., 26th Michigan Infantry) has the same birth year and the EXACT death day, month and year as Thomas Chockley Chase, son of Peter Chase (brother of Pamelia & Bela) and Elizabeth Cramer Crainer, married in 1827. However, for Thomas Chockley Chase, son of Peter, to be Lydia’s brother, he could only be a STEP-brother as Lydia was born in 1820 and Peter Chase and Elizabeth Crainmer Cramer (parents of Thomas) were married 7 years AFTER Lydia's birth. Bela Chase is buried in the same old cemetery in Alpine Township as my Chambers g-g-grandparents. The Chambers farm was in Section 16 of Alpine Township kitty corner from Abel Chase (son of Bela). Earlier the Chambers lived in Livingston County at the same time as Peter Chase and Ichabod Chase (another bros.).

Re: Peter Chase (Brother of Bela)

Betty (View posts)
Posted: 14 Feb 2003 12:34AM GMT
Surnames: Chase
My brother inlaw is looking for Catharine Chase, b1820 in New York State: m. in Oalkand Co., 2 Aug 1835. Believed to be daughter of Bela Chase.

Bonnie (View posts)
Posted: 14 Feb 2003 4:37AM GMT
Edited: 13 Jan 2013 1:27PM GMT
Surnames: Chase, Chambers, Cramer, Whipple
I don't know how to delete my previous message so I am posting this by way of correction/addition. Just this week I received my g-g-grandmother's (Lydia O. CHASE Chambers) death certificate that I had sent away for and it listed her father as BELA Chase. This blew apart my whole theory but I went back and dug out that Bible and found out my memory had been rather faulty when I posted what I did. Instead of it being Lydia writing "my brother" on that clipping, it said "Mr Chase - my grandma's brother" in my grandmothers's writing. My grandmother was 59 years younger than Lydia so it is possible she was mixed up.

I also went and checked the census' in Oakland County.

A. Bela Chase had one female in his household of age "10 & under 15" in 1830. Lydia would have been ten in 1830.

B. Peter Chase has one female in the 1830 Census under 5 years of age (May Jane? born 1828), and one female 20 and under 30 (Elizabeth Cramer, born 1802). Peter did not have a female 10 & under 15.

Given the evidence of the death certificate, and the circumstance that the 1830 census seems to bear that out, it would appear that Lydia's father was indeed Bela and not his brother Peter. If this is the case then my grandmother, Ethel Chambers, was indeed mistaken about Thomas C. Chase (son of Peter) being Lydia's brother.

Other items of interest: The Chambers (Elihu & Lydia) land was in the upper corner of Section 16, Alpine Township. The Abel Chase (son of Bela) land was in the lower part of Section 16, Alpine Township. The Rachel Chase land (last wife of Bela) was in Section 16, Alpine Township.

Bela Chase is buried in the old Alpine Center Cemetery. Elihu & Lydia are buried in the old Alpine Center Cemetery.

One census shows William Chase and Albert Chase (other sons of Bela) as young men LIVING with Lydia & Elihu.

All of this points to the likelihood of Bela, not Peter, being Lydia's father.

New Hypothesis: If the given name of Bela's first wife, Orilla Whipple, was spelled Orilla and not Aurilla, would it not be a short leap of faith to surmise that the O in Lydia O. Chambers might stand for Orilla, her mother?

Posted: 13 Jan 2013 3:22AM GMT
Edited: 13 Jan 2013 1:27PM GMT
Surnames: Chase, Whipple
Bela and Orilla Whipple Chase had 12 children, the oldes was Lydia Orilla born in 1820. Hope that helps.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions