Search for content in message boards

Adding a sibling without the parents

Adding a sibling without the parents

Posted: 30 Oct 2013 11:18PM GMT
Classification: Query
Could you please allow people to add a sibling without knowing who their parents are.

I have quite a lot of Irish family - for instance, in my family, 2 brothers came over together from Ireland, lodged in the same places here in England, both married in the same church within a year of each other and lived next door to each other with their respective families. Yet I can't add the brother because I haven't YET found the birth records in Ireland with their parents names!
I know they were brothers because my Great Grandmother told me the story of her Grandfather and his brother before she died when I was 15, the census' and records just backed up her story.
I don't want to make a whole new tree just for this one story!

PLEEEEEASE!

Re: Adding a sibling without the parents

Posted: 30 Oct 2013 11:21PM GMT
You know they are brothers, so you know the family surname. What I do - create a person with that surname, no forename/given name. That way the brothers are connected. Eventually you will find the name of their father - he's already in your tree and all you have to do is give him a forename.

Posted: 30 Oct 2013 11:26PM GMT
Oh, you clever little Sausage :-)

I shall do that. Thanks x

Posted: 31 Oct 2013 12:14AM GMT
About when were the brothers born and what County? We may be able to find their birth records.

If you don't yet have their English marriage records, I suggest you get those, which should have the names of parents of both parties. It's not expensive.

Posted: 28 Apr 2014 3:18AM GMT
I just use 'unknown Smith' or whatever the last name is for the father. That's all it takes.

Posted: 28 Apr 2014 7:45PM GMT
Please don't enter "unknown" as the given name (or surname for that matter) or GNU or FNU or Unk. as there are far too many people out there who find those entries and actually think this is a NAME and spend years searching for Unk SMITH or whatever. Given names can be left blank.

Joan

Posted: 28 Apr 2014 9:50PM GMT
The problem is that there seems to be no way to enter the name of a sibling without entering a parent's name under something. Just yesterday I had a case of entering siblings-both wives of known men in my husband's family. I wanted to link these two ladies as sisters without entering their parents but unless someone has an idea how to do that, I could not do that. I tried entering parents surnames and then linking the sisters as siblings but when I deleted the parents names, the sister link went with it. Both sisters were still recorded as wives of their husbands but the sibling link was gone. Ancestry should definitely fix this so that siblings can be linked even without parents. Since I did know the names of the parents-although not knowing their vitals, I finally entered the names without any vitals with exception of unknown for birth & death dates. There are so many many things that Ancestry programmers are doing but fixing simple things like that seem to go by the wayside.

Posted: 29 Apr 2014 2:22AM GMT
You only need one parent to link the siblings. So do as suggested above, just create a parent with the surname only and leave it in your tree.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic