Search for content in message boards

Feedback on the new Ancestry Header

Feedback on the new Ancestry Header

Posted: 5 Nov 2013 5:44PM GMT
Classification: Query
We'd like to give you a sneak peak and ask for your feedback on updates to the Ancestry header navigation we're working on.

INSTALLATION
You can preview the first version using Google Chrome by installing a chrome extension here: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ancestry-prototype.... Click "Free" and then "Add" in the popup, and then visit any page on Ancestry.com to see the new header.

UNINSTALLING
If you want to go back to the current header, click the menu icon in the top right of chrome, then "Tools", then "Extensions". Look for the "Ancestry Prototypes" extension and either uncheck "Enable" or click the trashcan to remove it.

GOALS
- Facilitate keyboard-only navigation
- Accessibility improvements
- Create a header that will allow pages to use more screen width without looking funny (like the tree viewer and image viewer)
- Performance improvements
- Improved code stability
- Simplification of the header
- Easier access to the header links you use most

FEEDBACK
Please give us your feedback and ideas using this survey: http://ancestry.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_bsc4bVHXRiTCvVr. If you're having any technical problems installing the extension, please post here so others can benefit from the conversation.

This is a very early stage prototype, and we're sharing it with a whole bunch of caveats:
- This will only work for US site in English
- This is a non-tested prototype. This means it will have bugs. We're testing the concept not every piece of functionality. If it causes you major issues, simply uninstall the plugin and let us know what you experienced.
- If a header like this "graduates" to become the experience on the website, it will be loaded by default, not after the page loads. For the current best experience, wait till the page is done loading before tabbing or interacting with the menu.

Thank you so much for your feedback!

Re: Feedback on the new Ancestry Header

Posted: 5 Nov 2013 6:39PM GMT
Edited: 5 Nov 2013 6:45PM GMT
Gentry,
A quick visual overview shows the following:

1). *VERY BAD*=Lack of a link to my Ancestry Home Page! It used to be the first tab in the menu bar...just how do I access it now?

2).Good=Publish, Shop, Hire an Expert, and Gift Memberships have been removed (leaving more room for more important things)
3). Bad= More clicks for Mousers to get to Learning Center and Collaborate.

I'll send a more detailed feedback later.

Andy

Posted: 5 Nov 2013 6:58PM GMT
Edited: 5 Nov 2013 6:59PM GMT
Thanks for the quick feedback Andy. The Home page can be accessed by clicking the logo. Our stats have shown that a very low percentage actually click the Home link (compared to the Search/Trees/DNA links).

When/if we roll this for real, we'll probably have a quick "here's the new header" tutorial thing to prevent confusion like you just experienced.

When you do the detailed feedback, can you send it in via that survey that Gentry linked? That'll make it easier to gather.

Thanks again!
- Jason

Posted: 5 Nov 2013 7:16PM GMT
Jason,

Clicking on the ancestry.com logo does NOT take me to my home page reliably. More than 75% of the time, in about a dozen tries, it has redirected me to the "Start your tree" page.

And, yes, I'm logged in.

Posted: 5 Nov 2013 7:18PM GMT
Edited: 5 Nov 2013 7:44PM GMT
Whoops. Fixing that now. May take about 30-60 minutes to propagate out.

In about 15 minutes, you should be able to go to the extensions page: chrome://extensions/
Removing the plugin, then reinstalling is actually giving people the best quick-fix.

Version 1.15 is the latest.

Posted: 5 Nov 2013 7:23PM GMT
Jason, I'll be sure and use the link when I do the 'REAL' feedback.
:)

Posted: 5 Nov 2013 7:25PM GMT
Burgess- I get the same thing.

Posted: 5 Nov 2013 7:26PM GMT
Jason,
Thanks for the quick action on the fix!

Posted: 5 Nov 2013 7:27PM GMT
Thanks for the quick fix.

Posted: 5 Nov 2013 7:50PM GMT
"Our stats have shown that a very low percentage actually click the Home link..."

That's odd...I use it incessantly. I must be weird.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic