Classification: Query
Surnames: nocho
chester county

The Nocho family

Deborah "Nocho" Gonzalez (View posts)
Posted: 19 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Nocho
My father's family was born in Chester County and Lancaster County any one who has knowledge about the Nocho's please reply.

Re: The Nocho family

Posted: 15 Jun 2002 7:04AM GMT
Surnames: Martin, Green, Page, Nocho
Hello,
I was born and raised in Chester County, and my Great-Great Grandmother was Tamson Page. Tamson was Native American and had relatives named Nocho. I believe Nocho may have been her original name. I found an 1870 census with Tamson, her husband Uriah and a Leon and William Nocho, listed as her nephews.

Could you please share information with me about Tamsons' family, she is the only ancestor whose family I cannot find. My mother stated that when she was little the Nochos would come and visit them, and that they were Native American.

Posted: 13 Jun 2003 11:44AM GMT
I am tring to find out where my last comes from can you please send me some more information.

Posted: 22 Sep 2004 6:17PM GMT
Surnames: nocho
looking fo the name of nocho and where it came from , iam fron chester county pa

Posted: 11 Jun 2005 5:27AM GMT
I am also interested in the Nocho name. My great-grandmother was Margaret Jacobs,Her sister Hannah
married Edward nocho.They lived in York but later moved
to chester Pa.They are in the 1880 Census.If you have
any info please contact me.wholeman00@comcast.net
Wendy

Posted: 11 Oct 2008 8:39AM GMT
Surnames: Nocho
The name came for Indians that is all I heard. Did find some Nocho's that came on a boat here to Ellis Island from Ireland and Brazil, but have to check on that.

Posted: 11 Oct 2008 8:44AM GMT
That was Hannah Tempin, she was my geat grandfather mother. Edwin Nocho.

Posted: 14 Oct 2008 2:26PM GMT
I have entered some Nocho surname burials to findagrave at Chestnut Grove Annex in West Chester, Pa (probably related, but contemporary) and St. John's Episcopal Church Compass (on the Chester/Lancaster County borders.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=cr&GRid=30...;

Two Nocho burials at Chestnut Grove Annex

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=cr&GRid=30...;

A couple of Nocho and Clara Nocho Hillery

From what I have read in the thread, I don't think anyone has mentioned African descent.

Fred Kelso just did a wonderful presentation on African American residents of West Caln Township, Chester county, Pa.

I have his power point presentation if you send me an email danoh19344@hotmail.com. This presentation details the Nocho family and you may pick up some information there.

Because there are many responses in this thread, I hope everyone interested in the Nocho name will respond.

A sample of one slide:

In 1850, there were five NOKER men in Salisbury Twp., Lancaster Co., PA. Jacob, John and Hiram were all living in Edward’s household in 1850 as young single men; Edward was married with a family; Samuel was married with a family and also living in the township; all five were listed as laborers and as “mulatto”. I’m assuming all five were brothers; in the 1860’s Hiram and Samuel owned property in close proximity near Limeville in Salisbury Twp. , where John was a quarryman, and Hiram was a farm laborer with $400 worth of real estate.

Their surname has been spelled various ways in the official records—the earliest census record I have found for them (1820) lists the name as NOKA, but the various records eventually settled on NOCHO. I am guessing, because many of the variants have a hard “k” sound in the middle, that the family pronounced their name “Noe-koe”, rather than “Noe-choe”.

The parents appear to have been John and Mary. In the 1820 U.S. census for Caernarvon Township, Lancaster County, PA, John NOKA is listed as a Free Colored Person (FCP) engaged in manufacturing, age 27-45. The rest of his household were also listed as FCPs:

1 adult female: age 27-45
4 males under 14
1 male 14-26
2 females under 14

It is my limited understanding that native american and free Blacks lived relatively uninhibited in the Welsh Mountains.

Dan Lindley danoh19344@hotmail.com

Posted: 14 Oct 2008 6:26PM GMT
Surnames: NOCHO, MARTIN, PAGE, GREEN, JOHNSON, PARKER, DAVIS, BELL, JACKSON, AND RUTH
The Nochos, Martin's, and Greens were at least partially, if not fully Delaware Natives. They were living in what was called the Great Valley (Pequea Valley), of Chester County Pennsylvania, when the Europeans arrived. By 1765, a part of Chester County became Lancaster County. There was a massacre of the Indians in Lancaster County in that year. After that period, Europeans declared that there were no more Indians in Lancaster County. So I would guess that is why people say that the Nochos, or any other remnants were not native. I don't look for the census to identify my ancestors as natives. Once they signed as Indian, they were whisked away to Oklahoma and other points west. Many identified themselves as Mulatto, and others claimed to be white or black. Some intermarried with Blacks and/or Europeans and were then reclassified. My ancestors went into the Welsh Mountains, or to Delaware, New Jersey, or Maryland. They stayed on the move in order to retain their freedom.

As a genealogy researchers I realize that the record does not always spell out answers. It is by the preponderance of the information before me. I believe the history that was passed down to me. I believe my mother and grandmother, and grandfather, knew who they were. When my mother told me that the Nochos were Indian, I was a child. She never strayed from that, nor from the fact of who the Martins were, nor the Greens. Now when I am looking at the records they reflect what I was told.

I know this is a long response, but I wanted to make a point regarding trusting the record. The people who wrote the records wrote it from their point of view. They were not interested in making sure the Natives story was told. It is our story to tell, and we are the voices of our ancestors.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic