Search for content in message boards

Rigby Star newspaper - Rigby, ID

Rigby Star newspaper - Rigby, ID

Posted: 16 Oct 2007 12:02AM GMT
Classification: Query
Does anyone know when the "Rigby Star" (now "Jefferson Star") newspaper began?

The oldest microfilmed issues that I've been able to find date back to 1906. Meanwhile, I'm trying to find an article that would have been published in October 1904...that is, if the newspaper was even around then.

From what I've found, it seems the newspaper has gone through several name changes: Rigby Star, The Star, Jefferson County Star, Jefferson Star.

And if the Rigby newspaper wasn't around in 1904, does anyone know what would have been the "go to" paper for Jefferson County happenings?

Re: Rigby Star newspaper - Rigby, ID

Posted: 30 Jan 2008 4:13PM GMT
i'm not sure when the rigby star first began but the other paper would have been the post register out of idaho falls

Posted: 14 Aug 2009 1:58AM GMT
Here is a link to the info on "Rigby Star" and when it started

http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn86099901/

Posted: 24 Feb 2010 4:17AM GMT
Greetings,
My name is John Nebeker. Although I don't live there anymore I grew up in Rigby, Idaho.
In regards to your question about the 'Rigby Star' Newspaper.
In the book, (The Hub of Eastern Idaho, A History of Rigby, Idaho, 1885-1976) on page 60 it reads, "J.W. Harry was persuaded to establish a newspaper by a group of concerned citizens. The newspaper was named 'The Rigby Star', with its first issue being dated March 5, 1903."

Posted: 28 Mar 2010 7:34PM GMT
As far as I have read the Jefferson Star began in 1906. For older articles check out Idaho Falls Times or the Idaho Register.

Posted: 28 Mar 2010 9:10PM GMT
Will do. Thanks for the tip.

Posted: 10 Jan 2011 10:37PM GMT
The Rigby Star was founded by by great grandfather J.W. (John William) Jones in 1906. The best source for the Rigby Star can be found through the Harold B Lee Library at BYU Idaho. It can be found http://www.lib.byu.edu/dlib/rigby/

All the best,

-Bill

Posted: 16 Jan 2011 3:10AM GMT
Bill, thank you for the information and resource link. Much appreciated.

Posted: 8 Aug 2012 6:45PM GMT
The Rigby Star was started in 1903, but there are no surviving issues until 1906. It has been digitized and is on-line. The Idaho Falls newspapers are the best source (Idaho Falls Times, Idaho Falls Register, and even the Deseret News.

Early history of The Rigby Star - est. by J.W. Harry 1903

Posted: 6 Jul 2014 9:28PM GMT
Edited: 6 Jul 2014 9:35PM GMT
Source:
"The Hub of Eastern Idaho"
A history of Rigby, Idaho, 1885-1976
Author: Patricia Lyn Scott
Copywrite: 1976 by
The City of Rigby, Idaho

THE RIGBY STAR (est. 1903)
Information taken from
Chapter IV - Incorporation - 1903
Pages 60-61

Names associated with The Rigby Star newspaper
1903-04
J.W. Harry
G.E. Hill
A.T. Johnson
M.T. Peck
C.W. Poole

L.E. Hicks
J.W. Jones
E.A. Strong

Page 60:
J. W. HARRY was asked to establish a newspaper by a group of concerned citizens. The first issue was dated March 5, 1903.
Mr. Harry disposed of the newspaper to the Rigby Publishing Co., on March 11, 1904 with George E. HILL as editor and A. T. JOHNSON as manager. But, after just two issues, the management changed to C.W. POOLE as manager and M.T PECK as editor.
Mr. Peck dropped as editor March 24, 1904 with Mr. Poole continuing until December 23, 1904.

Page 61:
L.E. HiCKS took charge of The Rigby Star from December 23, 1904 to January 5, 1905. Mr. Hicks professed to be a newspaper man, but the local businessmen were not giving the paper the advertising he wanted.
Due to lack of advertising, Hicks lambasted the businessmen for not advertising in the newspaper and a short time later Hicks was asked to leave town, which he did.
J. W. JONES read an advertisement placed in the Salt Lake Tribune by the businessmen, for an a position opening as EDITOR of The Rigby Star and came to Rigby.
January 5, 1905, E.A. STRONG became proprietor with J.W. Jones as editor of the newspaper.
J.W. JONES purchased the newspaper 4 months later (1905).
The Rigby Star remained with the Jones Family for the next 69 years.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic