Search for content in message boards

Zachariah N. Alderman

Zachariah N. Alderman

Posted: 15 Apr 2010 2:10AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Alderman
I am looking for information about a Zachariah N. Alderman who was tried for murder in Brown County, Nebraska in 1883-1884.

Re: Zachariah N. Alderman

Posted: 17 Apr 2010 3:36AM GMT
Do you have more information? I have never heard of a murder trial then, and my family has has been here since 1880. The only Aldermans that I know of in Brown Co. are burried in Grand Prairie cemetery, and lived in the Johnstown area. If you have more information, we have a genealogy meeting next week and will see if anyone else has heard of it. Newspaper micro film does not start until about 1886. The other newspaper that may have any information would have been in O'Neill, Holt Co., east of Brown Co. Not sure if any court records are available for that time period. Will check on that.
Kathy Burchell

Posted: 20 Apr 2010 2:07AM GMT
That would be great if you could ask around. I have two court documents (Indictment and Verdict) and two mentions in the Ainsworth Journal on 11 and 25 September 1884.

Edgar Crandall is mentioned in a couple of history sources such as Days of Yore (p. 51) as one of the first deaths in the county. I believe the trial was the first murder trial in the county.

Zachariah Alderman shot Edgar Crandall in May 1883; Crandall died a couple of days later. Alderman was indicted in November 1883 for first degree murder and found guilty of manslaughter in September 1884. I believe Edgar Crandall lived in Johnstown. My ancestor is Sarah Jane (Crandall) Hagerman, Edgar's sister.

I am very excited to hear from you. I just saw that NSHS has reopened and have an ILL request in for the Long Pine Journal for 1883 and 1884 but their holdings are not complete. You can contact me directly. nancy@mbstevens.com

Posted: 9 Mar 2011 1:13AM GMT
Surnames: Smith, Hagerman, Crandall
Nancy, I saw your post today. Sarah Jane Crandall was my husbands greatgrandmother. His grandmother was Hattie Ardine Hagerman. His father was Warren Smith. Could you contact me? We may have emailed before, I am going over the places I have already looked to see if I have missed something. We hoped to go to the Brown County courthouse last year but I broke my leg in the Grand Prairie Cemetery on Aug 1st. So I came home to Arkansas and had surgery. I have some pictures of Hagermans and some Smith pictures. Mabel Church in California has sent me several but we don't know who everyone in the pictures are.

Posted: 1 May 2011 11:41PM GMT
Surnames: Crandall, Hagerman
I would like to talk to you about our common Crandalls and Hagermans. You can contact me directly at NancyStevens4000@gmail.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions