Search for content in message boards

Powell

Posted: 25 Apr 2002 12:51AM GMT
Classification: Query
Searching for information on parents of Edley Powell and brother Tilman Powell who came to Georgia late 1700's and settled in Rabun County, Georgia. They are reported to be nephews of the Elizabeth Blair that married a Powell in North Carolina. I believe them to be connected to Elias Powell. Any information is greatly appreciated. Many Thanks! D. Latimer

Re: Powell

Posted: 25 Apr 2002 2:16PM GMT
Edited: 14 Jun 2003 2:51AM GMT
Diane: hang on a few days, I just ordered that huge book on the Powell Families of the south. I do have Elizabeth Blair in my file, but I don't have these two as descendants....however, there's some real conflicts with the Powells in old Burke Co, NC versus what some other authors have written--and this might be because these long-ago authors did not bother to research Wilkes County--there were Powells there, too....so I want to be sure I have the data right before I start passing it off to others.

Regards, Melissa
Posted: 25 Apr 2002 6:32PM GMT
Edited: 16 Nov 2002 10:10PM GMT
Malissa, thanks for answering my query. Hope to hear from you soon. May I ask the name of the Powell book you mentioned and where can it be purchased. Thanks again. Diana

Posted: 26 Apr 2002 3:22AM GMT
Hi: Lordy! I misplaced my Southern Historical Press catalog...it's just a thin, newsprint type...so, unless you can fined them on the 'net, I'm going to post the full name as soon as the item arrives. It's something like: The Powell Families of Virginia (?) and the South. Sorry...I have genealogy stuff stacked up to the ceiling, and I just can't imagine where I place this. I think they are in SC....or else perhaps Raleigh or Charlotte NC?

Re: Powell: I found it!

Posted: 26 Apr 2002 3:59AM GMT
The Powell Families of Virginia and the south, by Rev. Silas Emmett Lucas, Pub. 1969, 3rd reprinting 2000, 724 pages, Index, Hard Cover, ISBN #0-89308-027-6. Sold by Southern Historica Press, Greenville, SC, and this is the order # FH-9, $48.50; phone: for visa/mc order: 1-800-233-0152

Posted: 18 May 2002 2:58PM GMT
Surnames: Powell Stonecypher Lyons Burrell Blalock King Justus Welborn Parks Blair Philyaw Derrick
Elizabeth Powell (Blair) m. James Blair. The book Melissa orders "The Powells of Virginia and The South" by Lucas is a good book, but it will really confuse you. Myself and several others I have been in contact with in the last few years have come to believe that our branch of the Powells gets skipped. The information that we have states that Edley and Tillman's, also brother Thomas Jefferson Powell's, father was named Robert Powell m. unknown. In the book under Elias, their are two Robert's one born in 1750 and the other in 1752 in Culpepper, Va. Both fought in the Revolutionary War, the information we have states the our Robert born 1750 fought for the Loyalists. One Robert went to Adair Co., Kentucky and married Ann West. The book will make you think that this Robert is the father of Edley and Tillman. But from all information we have gathered our Robert hid out in SC after the war and eventually received a pardon, hence his son's name "Thomas Jefferson". I believe that the two Roberts were cousins, which makes it even more confusing. Their is a Robert Powell on the tax lists for 1830 in Rabun county, Ga. And then no other information. Elizabeth Powell Blair was Robert's sister, therefore aunt to Edley and Tillman. Edley, Tillman, Thomas Jefferson all settled in Rabun County, GA., at some point Tillman gave power of attorney to Edley and moved to Alabama, and at some point Elizabeth and James Blair also moved to the same area. Myself and several others have been trying to find out who Edley and Tillmans parents were for several years. Edley, Tillman, and Thomas Jefferson Powell, had brothers Ambrose, and James B. (possibly Blair) (after his aunt's husband? makes sense). If there is anyone out there who could shed some light on this, would be most grateful. Jennifer Powell Lyons
Posted: 19 May 2002 10:27PM GMT
Edited: 16 Nov 2002 10:10PM GMT
Jennifer, thanks for the information. I appreciate you taking the time to answer my query. Diana

Posted: 19 May 2002 11:50PM GMT
Hi: I'm very interested in your prior post. Do you have any idea who that Elizabeth POWELL belonged to that you have married to a James BLAIR? Is this James Blair possibly the brother of Colbert Blair who also was a Loyalist? Is Elizabeth the sister of Elias Powell, Sr, and James, Jr? (They would all be the children of John Powell and Mary O'Neal.)

We have several intermarriages with Powells and Blairs, and one thing you got right: The big Powell book I bought is confusing, and it does seem as if some Blairs and Powells were overlooked.

Regards, Melissa

Jennifer Powell Lyons (View posts)
Posted: 20 May 2002 9:55PM GMT
As far as I know or rather have been able to figure out Robert Powell and Elizabeth Powell Blair were brother and sister. Which as you state would make them the children of John Powell and Mary O'Neal, and I am assuming they would be brother/sister to Elias, Sr. But if you look at Robert in the Lucas book it mentions the one born in 1750 (I believe this to be my Robert) nothing else is mentioned about him. Also in looking at the children of John and Mary, the Robert born in 1752 who marries Ann West is said to also be a son of John and Mary. So it leads you to the question were the two Roberts cousins? was one of them orphaned and raised by John and Mary? I'm kind of at the point where I take much of the Lucas book on my branch of the Powell's with a huge grain of salt!!!! And so do several others I have been in contact with. Who do you descend from down the line? Hope to hear from you soon. Also anyone else that might shed some light on these two very confusing Robert's. Im not sure if James Blair and Colbert Blair were brothers or not. I think I have that information somewhere, will look for it and get back with you. All my "stuff" is not organized in any way, need to do that.

Jennifer Powell Lyons

June Powell Orton (View posts)
Posted: 3 Nov 2002 4:49AM GMT
Robert Powell,bn 1753 in Culpeper Co VA, md Ann West & went to Adair Co KY where he d 14 May 1815. He was a Major in Rev. War. He was son of Ambrose Powell & Mary Bledsoe. That Ambrose was son of Robert Powell & Sarah Taylor. The other Robert Powell was a Loyalist who seemed to disappear after the Rev. War; he was probably a son of John Powell & Mary O'Neil. My James Powell was bn 1787 in Burke Co NC, went to Adair Co KY & md Frances Sanders in 1818.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions