Search for content in message boards

BLAIR's of Pike Co.

BLAIR's of Pike Co.

Posted: 17 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 12 Jul 2006 7:37AM GMT
Surnames: BLAIR, COMPTON, DAMRON, ADKINS, NELSON, LANEY, COLEMAN, COX, ROBINSON, BRANHAM, PHILLIPS, HOPKINS, BLEVINS, SANDERS
Jacob Blair and his wife Margaret "Peg" Walker came to Russell Co. VA in 1811 from Willkes Co. NC. They had been there apprx 5 years before coming from Rowan Co. NC. This family stayed in Russell County till the 1850's and then spread out in to Pike Co. KY, and to the part of Wise and Buchanan that later became Dickenson Co. VA. The children of Jacob Blair II and Margaret "Peg" Walker included Jacob Blair III who married Jane McClanahan, Elizabeth Blair md John Chaney, William Blair md Frances Compton, Benjamen Blair md Amelia Wallace, Sarah Blair md.Andrew Ball, Nancy Blair md. William McClanahan, and Margaret Blair md. John Yates. Many many surnames down the lines, and many of these families stayed in the SW VA and Pike Co. KY areas. There are now over 80 of us researching these lines, and have compiled an incredible amount of photos and information. Book is in progress!, with over 400 pages of information and especially concerning SW VA and Pike Co. KY. Also the JACOB BLAIR REUNION 2000 is at the Breaks Park on June 24th of this year! Anyone researching these lines or families, please contact me! John Blair

janey blair

Posted: 12 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 30 Jul 2001 9:49PM GMT
Surnames: damron
I have a Janey Blair who married a damron, does this fit into your line?

Pike Co. Compton

Posted: 15 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 25 Jul 2001 8:23PM GMT
Surnames: Compton, Blair
Hi:
I noted your message re Blair's of Pike Co., One of my ancestors Frances "Frankie" Compton married William "Billy" Blair. I have been researching the Compton line. Will be happy to exchange info.

Martha Compton Collins

Compton

Brenda Wilmoth (View posts)
Posted: 29 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: DOOLEY, COMPTON
Dear John,

I am looking for any reference to Jasper COMPTON and Mary PIGG. They show up on the 1850 Census of Lawrence Co., KY, in two different homes, but have a child in 1851. The family seems to be in Lawrence Co., but, for people without cars, they do seem to move around a lot. I would not discount Pike County as a place of residence.

Looking for information about Jasper COMPTON that was listed in the 1850 Lawrence Co., KY census. Jasper was born about 1829 and lists himself as being born in Virginia. Jasper is believed to have served in the Civil War, but I haven't been able to track down his papers. He is assumed dead by 1870 census as Mary (his wife) is keeping house in her sons home in the 1870 census.

Jasper married Mary PIGG. Mary was the daughter (fourth child) of James Pigg and Sarah Goble. Mary born in Patrick Co., Virginia.

Jasper and Mary had the following children:

Napolian (Pole), born March, 1851 in Lawrence Co. He was listed in the 1900 census as a blacksmith in Lawrence Co. with no wife but the following children.

Dellie – born Feb 1886; Evirah – born May 1887; Freding F – born Jan. 1891; and Myrtie – born Jan 1896.

Martha Jane, born 1 May 1853, in Lawrence Co. She married Bufford Columbus Dooley on 26 July 1881. She died 11 April 1928, Georges Creek, Lawrence Co. There children were:

Harrison – born 14 Dec 1882, married 27 Feb 1908 to Bertha Martha Edwards, died 24 April 1960. James – born 1884. Levi – born Sept 1885, married 17 Aug 1904 to Nancy Wallace, died North Lewisburg, OH. William Jasper – born Jan 1888, died after 1960. Drusilla Ivie – born Now 1889, married 1906 to Wiley J. Williams, moved to Missouri. Arnold – born 26 Feb 1892, married Mabel Gray. Grant – born 15 Jan 1894, married 1916 to Ella Davis, died April 1964, Catawba OH

Carolyn, born 12 Jan. 1856 in Lawrence Co.; died 1 Sept. 1857.

James Horn, born 4 Oct. 1857, Georges Creek, Lawrence Co. He married Rosa VanHoose, born 1863. He died 18 January 1932 in Lawrence Co. There children are listed in the Lawrence Co. 1870 census as:

Leonard – born Dec 1888; Ross – born April 1891; Dennie (listed as a servent – son of Theodore (Dore) Pigg; Susa – listed as adopted (daughter of Theodore); William H; George W.; Hiram J.; Thomas S.; John R.,; Emma B.,; Albert.

By the 1870 census Mary Compton is listed as living in the home of her son, James H. Compton.

Do you know anything about this family, especially who JasperÂ’s parents, siblings were? Thanks for any help, and happy hunting.

Brenda

Levi Dooley & Nancy E. Wallace

Posted: 5 Mar 2007 7:47PM GMT
Surnames: Dooley, Wallace
Brenda,
Would you have anything further on Levi and Nancy Wallace Dooley? I'm trying to fill in a few blanks on this family. I am related to Nancy. Her grandfather Solomon Wallace was my 3rd-G-Grandfather.

Descendants of Levi Dooley

First Generation

1. Levi Dooley, son of Buford Columbus Dooley and Martha Ann Compton, was born on 27 Sep 1885 in Lawrence Co KY and died on 11 Jul 1938 in Champaign Co OH (North Lewisburg) 1 at age 52.
Levi married Nancy E. Wallace, daughter of Andrew Wallace and Samantha Jane Swan, on 17 Aug 1904 in Lawrence Co KY ( Vol. 16, Pg. 403). Nancy was born in May 1888 in Lawrence Co KY, died on 5 Apr 1983 in Champaign Co OH (North Lewisburg) 2 at age 94, and was buried in Maple Grove Cemetery.

Children from this marriage were:
2 M i. Jay B. Dooley was born about 1906 in KY and died on 26 Dec 1976 in Madison Co OH (London) 3 about age 70.
Jay married Ilo D. Apple, daughter of Unknown Male Apple and Unknown Female Stevens. Ilo was born on 8 Mar 1903 in Franklin Co OH (Westerville) and died on 26 Mar 1994 in
3 M ii. Worley W. Dooley was born on 10 Feb 1908 in OH and died on 25 Oct 1993 in Pima Co AZ (Tucson) at age 85.
Worley married Marjorie (Unknown Maiden Name) Jordan on 24 Oct 1971 in Union Co OH (Marysville).
+ 4 M iii. Edgel Dooley was born about 1913 in OH and died on 28 Jul 1981 in Franklin Co OH (Columbus) 5 about age 68.
5 M iv. Omer Gene Dooley was born about 1929 in OH and died about 1951 about age 22.

Second Generation (Children)

4. Edgel Dooley (Levi 1) was born about 1913 in OH and died on 28 Jul 1981 in Franklin Co OH (Columbus) 5 about age 68.
Edgel married Crystal J. Organ, daughter of Henry Organ and Amanda Spain. Crystal was born on 15 Oct 1913 in Union Co OH, died on 19 Mar 2002 in Champaign Co OH 6 at age 88, and was buried in Champaign Co OH (Maple Grove Cemetery).

+ 6 M i. Joseph E. Dooley .
7 M ii. Jerry Dooley .
Jerry married Cindy (Unknown Maiden Name) Dooley.
+ 8 F iii. Janie Dooley .
9 F iv. Mary Louise Dooley .
Mary married Unknown Male Lugar.

Third Generation (Grandchildren)

6. Joseph E. Dooley (Edgel 2, Levi 1).
Joseph married Melinda Loudon, daughter of Ivan Loudon and Unknown Female (Unknown Maiden Name) Loudon.

10 F i. Pamela M. Dooley was born (private).
11 F ii. Unknown Female Dooley was born (private).
12 M iii. Thomas Michael Dooley was born on (private) in OH.

8. Janie Dooley (Edgel 2, Levi 1).
Janie married Sam Sowers.

13 M i. Kevin Sowers .
14 F ii. Karla Sowers .

Re: BLAIR's of Pike Co.

Posted: 3 Jan 2010 4:13PM GMT
Surnames: Blair, Howell , Nelson
My great grandmother was Fanny Marie Blair, she married Oliver Howell. Her Daughters, Goldie and Emmagrace were my grandmother and my great aunt. I am not sure if there are any more of her children tht lived to adulthood. I know there are some buried in pike county cematary called Potter field by the family not sure where its at. Any information I can help you with I would be glad to share.

Ronda Nelson
per page

Find a board about a specific topic