Search for content in message boards

James Jennings -- father of Garrett Jennings ???

James Jennings -- father of Garrett Jennings ???

Posted: 3 Jul 2005 10:03PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 8 Jul 2010 2:18PM GMT
I am seeking information connecting Garrett Jennings, born in the late 1700s to his father whom I believe is the James Jennings we see in the Union District of South Carolina in the 1790 and 1800 censes. In the 1850 census, Garrett (who died in 1851) says he was born in South Carolina. His son, Balous, was born in Kentucky in 1817. Land records state Garrett purchased land in Christian/Caldwell county in the early 1800s. James is with him and the 1820 and later censes show James in Christian County. Earlier posts I have read here have put Garrett Jennings as the son of a James Jennings who was born in Kentucky. I do not get a corrdination of years when I follow the line that connect my Garrett Samuel Jennings to a James that is descended from an Edward Salley Jennings.

I think my James may be the son of a John Jennings who left England in 1754. His wife was pregnant at the time and I believe it was with James as his birth was 1754/55.

Does anyone have any new discoveries about the connection between James and Garrett?

Thank you

Re: James Jennings

Posted: 7 Sep 2008 9:05PM GMT
Surnames: Jennings, Griffith
I am researching the family of David Jennings, who is the father of James, Garrett, Sarah and Rebecca. They lived in SC and later KY. James was born 3 Dec 1777 in SC. He married Phoebe Griffith 14 July 1804 in Christian Co. KY. I have a copy of his will and names of all of his children. My family comes through Garrett and his son Balious, Balous, Baylos, Jennings. I am having great difficulty finding them in South Carolina. I also have the family group of Garrett and his children. His first five children were born in KY.Garrett is buried in the Big Hurricane Baptist Chruch Cemetery or at Mt. Zion Baptist Church in Tuscaloosa, AL. James and his father, brother and sisters migrated to Tuscaloosa Co. before July 1817. Any new information you may have, and be willing to share, would be most welcome.

Posted: 7 Jul 2010 10:25PM GMT
According to pension application for James Jennings, he died in Kentucky in 1834. Garrett had a brother James and also a son James whom I believed moved with him to Tuscaloosa. But Father James remained in Kentucky. At the time of his application for a pension, only two daughters and one son--Alexander--were living with him and Polly. This James joined the Revolution as a continental near the Pacolet River which is today the boundary between Union and Cherokee Counties. I am figuring he is the James Jennings in the 1790 census and the James Jinnings in the 1800 census, in Union county, SC. Another possibility is James Jennings from Spartanburg. Garrett is his eldest son, I believe. This family is very difficult to track as they could not read or write, according to later censes. James only makes his mark on his application.
How did you make a connection between a David Jennings and Garret?

Re: Garrett Jennings

Posted: 7 Jul 2010 11:12PM GMT
Edited: 8 Jul 2010 2:19PM GMT
Surnames: Jennings
My Garret Jennings is the son of David Jennings. I am still searching for more information re David. Garret was born in South Carolina, town and county unknown, in 1778. He had an older brother, James, born 3 Dec 1777 who married Phoebe Griffith 16 July 1803 at Christian Co.KY and they later moved to Tuscaloosa Co., AL. Garret also had two sisters, Sarh b abt 1779 and died 7 Feb 1846 in Tuscaloosa and Rebecca Jennings who married Samuel Woodward 24 Oct 1812 in Christian Co. KY. Did your John happen to have a son David???? I found a Garret Jennings on a KY tax list having 2 horses! Our Garret married a Letty. Could we have the same Garret? I found an article in Heritage of Tuscaloosa County, AL which reads: "Born about 1778 in South Carolina, Garrett and wife Letia had nine children. The first five children were born in KY, where Garrett migrated with his father, David and brother, James and two sister, Rebecca and Sarah. Their children were as follows: Caleb b 1805 (m Sarah McElroy); Joshua b 1811 (m Elizabeth McElroy); Balious b 18167 (m. Sarah Leavell); Reuben born 1818 (m Mary Bruner); Wyatt E. born 1823 (m Miranda J Woodward); Elizabeth, John J. (m Mary Madison; Mary (m Jolly Nabors), and James (m Pernecia Mitchell). Accordin to records of the Gilgal Baptist Church, Garrett moved his membership there from Sardis Baptist Church on 12 August 1831. There is a record in Deed Book "E" in the Tuscaloosa Court Houst that states Garrett and Henry W. Collier made a land deed in 1827. On January 7 1825 Garrett and Letta bought a tract of land from the government." I also found Garrett in the 1850 Census of Tuscaloosa he was age 72 and Letta was 69. Garett's son Balious was a Baptist preacher in Tuscaloosa. Seems as though we have the same Garrett, but the question is James. This same book states that by the 1820's this Jennings family is in Alabama.

Posted: 7 Jul 2010 11:47PM GMT
Edited: 8 Jul 2010 2:20PM GMT
Sounds like we DO have the same Garrat! We could be mistaken as far as James being his father. On James Jennings application for a pension for the Revolution, it says he moved to Kentucky. He is in Caldwell County when he applied for the pension. Though the records say he died in Caldwell in 1834, I cannot find him in the census. I think we may have connected the two through the South Carolina link and land record. (Christian county, I think, might have become Caldwell county.) A letter from 1934 requesting information from the archives states that James had a very large family. Very circumstantial.
My husband is the Jennings. He descends through Bailous-via George Washington Jennings. How about you?

Posted: 8 Jul 2010 12:49AM GMT
I knew that the son of Balous Jennings, George W. Jennings was our early ancestor. I began looking for Balous Jennings. I found a book, AT LIBERTY ON BEAR CREEK where Balous was listed as a Baptist preacher. I then found PIONEERS OF TUSCALOOSA COUNTY that had family group sheets for Balous, Garrett and James Jennings. I then went to the census records. After the census records I began looking in the Alabama records, Volume 81 Tuscaloosa County compiled by Pauline Jones Gandrud, and found a request from james S. Smith and Thomas W. Smith, excutors for William J. Smith, deceased. It seems as though there could have been a problem with the Judge of Probate, Moses McGuire. In this document there is a lineage given. "Moses McGuire, the judge, married Caroline M. Jennings who was the daughter of William Jennings, who was a son of James Jennings, who was a son of David Jennings. Thomas W. Smith married Sarah C. Woodward who was a daughter of Rebecca Jennings, who was a daughter of David Jennings." I also found in HERITAGE OF TUSCALOOSA COUNTY ALABAMA on page 247 a short history of Balious Jennings, Garrett J. Jennings, George Jennings and G. W. Jennings, and James which all tie into our Jennings family. I still cannot find anything on David Jennings other than his children all said (on census records) they were born in SC. The history of the James Jennings Family states they migrated to Tuscaloosa before July 1817. I don't know if there were more than four children or not. Garrett also had a son named James who married Pernecia Mitchell 14 Dec 1835.

I also found a will of Jame Jennings dated 5 July 1845 and probated 30 Aug 1856. Wife Phebe Jennings, daughter Miriam, son G. W. Jennings; dau Rebecca (wife of Fieling P. Pool) son John H. Jennings. "I have already given to my other children each one slave, except my son William Jennings, now deceased, who I exclude from any part of my estate as I have done more for him than I am able to do for my other children; All my children, dau Hulda, son G.W. Jennings executor. Witnesses George Calhoun, David A. Calhoun Codicil states that "in case more is coming to daughter Rebecca and son J. Harrison, same to be managed by trustee." In PIONEERS OF CALDWELL COUNTY KENTUCKY I found the will of Wells Griffeth: Wife Elizabeth, life interest in 1/3 of real and personal estate. At her decease her portion to be divided among our children. Mentions: sons william and John Griffith, daughter Phebe Jennings having perviously received their portions of estate. Daughter Sally Burrus, a negro, son Hiram Griffeth 2 Negro girls etc. I also saw the will of James Jennings wife Polly and sons Ned, Garrat Samuel, John Sally, Nancy Lewis and Isaac daughters Elizabeth, Damey, Mahaly. At first I thought this was our Garret, but when I found this other information I decided he was not the one on our line. In Caldwell CO I found the marriage of Samuel Woodward and Rebecca Jennings 24 Oct 1812. Thus my conclusion of James, Garrett, Sarah and Rebecca, children of David, and I agree some could not read or write. Our James and Garrett were not old enough to serve in the Revolution if they were born in 177 and 1778. I am open to another arguement however.

Posted: 8 Jul 2010 12:58AM GMT
My Father-in-law was Pender L. Jennings, son of Pender LeRoy Jennings, son of George W. Jennings and Susan Mary Jordan. Our G.W. left Alabama at age 19 and drove a team for Jackson Ray and arrived in Texas early in 1868. They had quite a large family. I have also corresponded with another relative of G.W. who comes from Lewis Claude and brother of P. L. snr.

Posted: 8 Jul 2010 10:39AM GMT
I noticed in the census that there are James Jennings in both Caldwell and Breckenridge. The ones in Breckenridge are slave owners, the one in Caldwell are not. There is a Garret in Caldwell in the 1810 census but he is the only Garret I see. But maybe he isn't our Garret. Do you think our Garret may have lived with his father or have evaded the census takers?

Posted: 8 Jul 2010 1:27PM GMT
Hey, Marlys!
Found this blurb on the Internet
Notes for John Norris:
John Norris was born in Charleston, S.C. according to Bama Norris, now deceased, dau of James Thomas
Norris, a grandson of John. Bama owned the family bible of John's son, William Siras Norris. She said that John
moved to Laurens Co, S.C. and was in the census for that Co. She thought that his mother was named Rachel
Potts, daughter of Jonothan Potts (died in 1821), and his father was also named John.
According to information gathered by Lester L. Norris, GGGrandson of John Norris, John's father, also
named John, and his two brothers came from England or Wales with wives in the 1700s, probably in the l760's
or1770's. He is probably buried in Laurens Co, S.C. They later moved to Caldwell Co, Ky (originally Livingston
Co) and are listed in the 1810 census there as follows:
William Norris...................00100/0400
Jacob Norris......................12101/0101
Thomas Norris..................1000/0001
John Norris.......................00010/2001
Garrett Jennings*.............10010/2010
*probably was Elizabeth Harrell's maternal grandfather.

Dates later in the blurb don't match up, but maybe we should check out Laurens Co, SC for our Jennings.

I did find a David Jennings in Charleston, SC in 1750. Maybe after Garret was born, the family moved to Virginia--which back then included land that later became other states
as Garrett's wife was born in Virginia. Ah, these elusive Jennings!

Posted: 8 Jul 2010 2:27PM GMT
I think he could be our Garrett. I have a bit more info, but not enough time right now. Will get back to you!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions