Search for content in message boards

Sharp of Sharpsburg, Bath County, KY

Sharp of Sharpsburg, Bath County, KY

Posted: 1 Oct 2006 1:07AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Sharp, Walker, McGinnis, Witcher, Richart, Caldwell, Ratliff, Robertson
Hi:

I would love to exchange information on the Sharp line of Moses (born 1757 died 1820) and Elizabeth (Walker) Sharp (born 1762 died 1855). They were married on 17 JUL 1783 in Cumberland County, VA. Theiir children were:
Mary "Polly" Sharp married her cousin Stephen Sharp
John Walker Sharp died young
Elizabeth Sharp married Dr. James McGinnis
Dr. Richard Sharp married Emily Witcher
Martha Sharp married Duncan Olephant Richart
Dr. William Sharp married Mariah "Maria" Caldwell
Dr. Joseph Sharp married Catherine Ratliff
Thomas Sharp married Laurenda Robertson

I look forward to echanging information.

Kathleen
email KGiusti639@aol.com

Re: Sharp of Sharpsburg, Bath County, KY

Posted: 4 Oct 2006 11:12PM GMT
Here is a web site that has a lot of Moses Sharp's family data. Maybe you have already seen it but, if not, it's worth a look.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~hoosier/Sharp/

Posted: 5 Oct 2006 12:35AM GMT
Thank you I have seen the site. But they have my great grandmother married to her brother in law. I have emailed her and not received a reply and the information has not been corrected, so I am weary to trust the entries.

Posted: 5 Oct 2006 1:09PM GMT
I have found another web site for Linda Werking Bates. The link to that web site is http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Pointe/1608/lkbates.html
On this web site, Linda has a line that states that she has a new email address as of January 2006. The new email address is lwbhoosier@cfl.rr.com

I too, am of the opinion that she has some inaccurate information in her data. I have been guilty of that myself at one time or another.

To explain my interest in the Bath County, Kentucky Sharps, several years ago I did some research on Moses Sharp and his family because my Sharp ancester came from Bath County, Kentucky. So when I first started searching for my Bath County ancesters, Moses and his family seemed to be the logical place to start. I soon determined that my ancester was not a descendent of Moses. Moses may have been an uncle.

Kathleen Giusti (View posts)
Posted: 7 Oct 2006 10:34PM GMT
Hi Ava:

Who is your Sharp ancestor from Bath County? I have been very lucky in tracing this line. Unfortunately, I would like to prove who his parents were, but I have not found any definite information so far.

Kathleen

Posted: 8 Oct 2006 4:57PM GMT
My Bath county Sharp family members were Alvin Sharp and his twin brother Alfred born 1832, their sisters were Malinda born 1834 and Jane born 1836. Two half sisters were Narcissa and Bernetta Crutchfield. All were born in Bath county. Their mother's name was Judith (maiden name unknown). Marriage records in Bath county has Judith Sharp married Zopher Crutchfield Dec. 25 1838. Zopher Crutchfield is head of household on the 1840 census. On the 1850 census Zopher is gone and Judith is head of household. Living with Judith in 1850, besides her six children, is a 70 year old female Frances Sharp. I believe Frances was Judith's mother inlaw from her first marriage.
I researched the Bath county taxation records for Sharps for the 1820 to 1840 time period. Beginning in 1823 there were two Richards and two Josephs. Moses' son Richard died in 1825, the other Richard disappeared from tax records in 1829 and then on the 1830 census Frances Sharpe shows up as head of household. So I think Richard and Frances were husband and wife. As for the two Josephs, Moses' son Joseph lived well into the 1880's. The other Joseph disappeared from tax records by 1837. So since Judith Sharp remarried in 1838, I believe this Joseph was Judith's first husband. I have not been able to find a marriage record for Joseph Sharp and Judith but there is a marriage record in Cumberland County Virginia for a Richard Sharp and Frances Allen.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions