Search for content in message boards

Searching for ancestors of Great Grandfather George Thompson. Born 1850 in N. Gwillimbury Ont.

Searching for ancestors of Great Grandfather George Thompson. Born 1850 in N. Gwillimbury Ont.

Kenneth Thompson (View posts)
Posted: 23 Mar 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Crittenden, Holmes
My great grandfather, George Thompson, married Rena Crittenden, daughter of James Crittenden and Rena Crittenden. I am hoping to find any record of George Thompson's origin, including the possibility that he, or his father changed the family surname upon arriving in Canada, 1780 - 1800

George Thompson

Posted: 25 Mar 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 25 Jul 2002 4:55PM GMT
Surnames: Thompson, Eaves, Terry, Crittenden, Wiser, Draper
Kenneth, I'm also looked for George & Rena who are my ggg's. I am descended from their son James who married Lydia Mary Eves, and James & Lydia's daughter Grace who married Hiram Wiser. I don't have the info you want but am heading to Keswick on a research trip mid April specifically looking for records on these and will let you know if I find anything. Friends who know the area well are taking me on a tour of cemeteries that have not been transcribed or posted anywhere. Keep your fingers crossed. Rena was still in the area after George died (d sometime before 1850) so he should be buried there somewhere.
Sharleen

RENA RE-MARRIED!!!

Posted: 28 Mar 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 22 Jun 2001 1:46PM GMT
Surnames: Thompson, Crittenden, Chapman
Greetings: HOLD OFF ON YOUR TRIP TO KESWICK... When I mentioned to my associate Bill Britnell that I was interested in responding to your querry and I asked him to check for the burial of George and Rena ... his first and immediate response was Oh, Aunt Rennie ... you won't find a tombstone for here there and proceed to tell me the story. Following the death of George Thompson (date and place unknonw)Rhena Thompson married Samuel Chapman on 3 September 1854, at which time they both stated they resided in North Gwillimbury. Samuel Chapman was a brother of Bill's ancestor, Ira Chapman.

Apparently Samuel and Rena moved to Oro township, and he died there in either 1870, or early 1871 as he is listed in the 1871 census death schedule, and she is listed as a stray, obviously living with some of her Thompson children. So, to find her death record you will now be searching for a Rena (Rennie, Rhena, etc.) CHAPMAN perhaps in Simcoe County - after 1871!!

Bill has quite a bit more on this family, so if you e-mail me privately I will supply you with his mailing address. He is not automated in any way.

Hope that this helps! Cheers J. Brian Gilchrist

Hope that this helps

Rena's burial you could easily miss!

Posted: 31 Mar 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 22 Jun 2001 1:46PM GMT
Surnames: Crittenden, Thompson, Chapman
As Mrs. Draper indicated in her unconnected posting on this site, Rena is buried in the Vasey United Church cemetery in Tay township, Simcoe County, Ontario - but not under her legal married name, but rather the surname of her deceased first husband!!

Arena Thompson died June 13, 1893, aged 86 years

is memorialized on a tombstone with a Charles Haselton (d. 1879) and his wife Phoebe (died 2 months to the day after Arena, who might be her mother???)

Hope this adds to the total picture!

Cheers! J. Brian Gilchrist, gilchrists@idirect.com
Posted: 2 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 25 Jul 2002 4:55PM GMT
Surnames: Crittenden, Davis, Draper, Eaves, Terry, Thompson, Wiser
The "Arena Thompson" Mr. Gilchrist & Ms. Draper state as buried in Vasey Cemetery is definitely the one I am descended from. Many thanks for the information and your help.

Re: Rena's burial you could easily miss!

Posted: 21 Sep 2011 1:21PM GMT
Yes Pheobe was "rena's" daughter.

Re: Searching for ancestors of Great Grandfather George Thompson. Born 1850 in N. Gwillimbury Ont.

Posted: 21 Sep 2011 1:44PM GMT
No they did not change the last name. Orginally family was from albany new york....

Re: Searching for ancestors of Great Grandfather George Thompson. Born 1850 in N. Gwillimbury Ont.

Posted: 9 Nov 2011 4:34PM GMT
my grandparents were james wesley thompson he married jane cowell. gr. grand james thompson and lydia eves.

Posted: 21 Dec 2012 9:24PM GMT
Classification: Death
Surnames: Thompson
Kenneth Thompson, my uncle, died January 11, 2011 in Brampron, Ontario.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic