Search for content in message boards

William (Blanket Bill) Jarman

William (Blanket Bill) Jarman

Suzanne (Jarman) Wilson (View posts)
Posted: 25 Apr 2004 7:26AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Jarman
I'm looking for any info on William Robert Jarman...he was the first englishman to settle in Washington state in 1850....he owned the acreage called Jarman's Prairie. His wife's name was Alice of the Nootkas Tribe. Thank you!!!

Re: William (Blanket Bill) Jarman

Patrick Jarman (View posts)
Posted: 11 May 2004 10:14AM GMT
I believe he was born in the Gravesend area of Kent (England). There was a family of Jarmans (who I have partially researched) living there in the early 19th century many of whom were Thames Watermen. My ancestors were in Gravesend slightly earlier and may be connected, but I've not been able to establish it. If you put his name into a search engine you should find a number of sites that tell his bizarre story.

Posted: 23 Nov 2008 4:13AM GMT
Surnames: William, Blanket Bill, Jarman
My wife and I would ,like to find more about the family of William' Blanket Bill' Jarman of Jarman's Valley, Washington Territory, 1818?-1912, as far as I know his wife was Callam rather than Nooka

Posted: 25 Nov 2008 12:08AM GMT
Have you checked out this website?

http://www.skagitriverjournal.com/

They have an extensive collection on Blanket Bill Jarman.

Wilma Jarman Fields

Posted: 9 Jan 2009 12:22PM GMT
Hi Susan

I am a blood descendent - Blanket Bill was my great great grandmother's brother. He was born in Gravesend Kent England c 1826 (yet to be confirmed) His father, William Robert Jarman (exactly same name) was born in 1806 and married in 1826 to Elizabeth Muckell at St Nicholas Church in Rochester Kent. His grandfather was also William Robert Jarman. Blanket Bill and his wife Alice settled on Samish Island, Washington State in 1852 having paddled their canoe from Port Townsend. The bay at the north end of the island was so beautiful he named it Alice Bay which it is still called today. Any information you can give us on the Jarman family would be appreciated. Regards Arthur

Posted: 9 Jan 2009 12:28PM GMT
Hi Patrick
Blanket Bill - William Robert Jarman, was born in Gravesend Kent c 1826/27 yet to be confirmed. His father also William Robert Jarman married Elizabeth Muckell at St Nicholas Church, Rochester, Kent in 1826 - his father was born in 1806 - his grandfather was also named Willia, Robert Jarman. Blanket Bill settled with his indian wife, Alice, in Samish Island, Washington State in 1852 having paddled their canoe from Port Townsend. The bay at the north of the island was so beautiful he called it Alice Bay after his wife, which is still called today. His sister was my great great grandmother and I am currently researching the family history. Any information you can give me and/or any photos would be gratefully received.
Regards
Arthur Blakemore

Posted: 9 Jan 2009 12:38PM GMT
My great great grandmother was Blanket Bill's sister and i am currently researching the family history. Bill Jarman was born in Gravesend Kent c 1826/7 yet to be confirmed and died in 1912. His wife Alice was of the S'Klallam tribe and they settled on Samish Island in 1852 having paddled their canoe from Port Townsend to Samish. They arrived at the north of the island which he named after his wife and today is still called Alice Bay. His father, also William Robert Jarman, as was his grandfather, married Elizabeth Muckell at St Nicholas Church, Rochester, Kent in 1826. His father was born in 1806 and his grandfather also married a lady called Elizabeth but we do not know her surname. If you have any information/photos relating to the Jarmans I would be very grateful.

Regards Arthur Blakemore

Posted: 9 Jan 2009 12:45PM GMT
Hi Wilma
Blanket Bill Jarman was my great great grandmother's brother and I am currently researching the family tree. I have been on the skagitriver website and it is very informative and interesting. I am currently trying the find out the name of the ship on which he sailed from Tilbury to Australia, and any other information there may be in this country. We know his father and mother married in Rochester Kent in 1826 and he was born c 1826/7 but this is yet to be confirmed. His father was also named William Robert Jarman and was born in 1806, his grandfather was also named William Robert Jarman and also married a lady called Elizabeth but we do not know her surname. Any additonal information about the Jarman family and/or photos would be greatly appreciated.
Regards Arthur Blakemore

Posted: 9 Jan 2009 7:47PM GMT
My wife is the granddaughter of Minnie Vine, niece of William, who was brought over from England and lived with William and his wife before becoming the wife of William Manning. Their daughter, Doris Caroline Manning married Fred Lloyd Oliver and had a daughter Harriet Matilda Louise Oliver. who is my wife, and mother of, a daughter by a former marriage, Mychalene Elizabeth Giampaoli, and grandmother of Lucia Lillamat Hill of
Washington, DC. Are you familiar with the book "Blanket Bill Jarman" by P.R. Jeffcot ?? Do you know if the sister you mentioned is the mother of Minnie Vine ?

Posted: 10 Jan 2009 7:32AM GMT
Thanks so much for your reply so promptly. Yes, Frances Amelia Jarman, Minnie Vine's mother, was the sister of Blanket Bill Jarman. This is such exciting news. Are you in Washington DC - we are in England. If you would like to exchange e-mail addresses we would be happy to do so and continue the information at greater length. We have a family tree published on the web via My Heritage but we would need your e-mail address and name to give you permission to gain access to it - it is a safe site .

looking forward to hearing from you. By the way, we know there are a number of books on the subject of Blanket Bill and Samish Island but unfortunately we do not have the ISBN numbers. Can you help?

MAny thanks
Arthur Blakemore
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions