Posted: 22 Sep 2000 3:43PM GMT
Edited: 7 May 2002 8:23PM GMT
I am searching diligently for records of my ancestor
William J. JEFFERSON. What an enigma! The 1870
census in Montana and his death certificate list
his birthplace as Iowa around 1850 but I still
have no clue as to his parents' names or where
specifically he was born. The names Ralph and
William show up frequently in his descendants.
He was in Marysville, Lewis Clark Co., Montana
as a quartz miner by 1870. Further complicating
things he died in Utah during a blizzard while
passing through on his way to Ely, NV.

Help! Anyone with any ideas I would really
appreciate your input.

Regards.

William Jefferson

Posted: 9 Feb 2001 2:33PM GMT
Edited: 20 Apr 2004 9:47PM GMT
I have information on a William Josiah Jefferson b 1871 in Des Moines Co Iowa. He was my grandfather. His father was William Jefferson b 1834 Marshall co WV and moved to IA after the civil war. There were other Jeffersons in Des Moines Co IA that moved to IA before the civil war. I have found a Briant Jefferson that must be related but I can't find the connection. My William Joshia Jefferson moved to Custer Co MT between 1884-1891 and worked with mules at Ft. Keough. His mother died when he was 2 and he was given to one neighbor, then another finally living with Mrs. Elizabeth Newsom as an 'adopted son' in page co Iowa in 1880. He said he ran away at 13 and went to MT. I have done lots of research on this line and I am not related to Pres. Jefferson.
None of this may help but thought I'd give you some new places to look. Mary Ellen melong@plix.com

William J. Jefferson

Posted: 13 Feb 2001 1:57PM GMT
Edited: 7 May 2002 8:23PM GMT
Hi,

I got really excited for a second until I realized
your grandfather was born too late. My gggrandfather
was born around 1850, married Alice Luella HOLMES
in Montana and had four children--a baby who died young,
my ggrandfather William Leslie, Ralph Henry, and Ida J.
He was on his way to visit Ida in Los Angeles, CA when he
died in Farmington, UT in Jan. 1907 of a coronary during a
blizzard. His body was found about a month later, but
because he was not a resident of the area his death
certificate doesn't offer much information. Thanks so much
for your response.

Regards,
Alicia Cowger

Re: William J. Jefferson

Posted: 20 Jan 2014 4:51PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Jefferson
Alicia, you no doubt already know this, but in case you don't that mark that looks like Iowa on the census records is actually "do" small case "d", it looks like an "I". and it stand for "ditto", not Iowa. In that case, it shows him born in Ireland. Good luck, I've started afresh this week. I'm checking out what someone else put with a Ralph Jefferson and Jane McKenzie or Mawhinney. I'll let you know if I find anything concrete. There's a marriage in 1848 in Lisburn, Antrim,Ireland for them and there's a Jane on the ship
Wm.Tapscott, with a child, William, age 7 in 1858, who could possibly link up. I still can't figure out why in the other census it lists his father born in Scotland, his mother born in Wisconsin, and him born in Ireland. That just doesn't make sense. I think the census taker got distracted with all the Wisconsin births on the lines above and made a mistake.
Cousin, Terri
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions