Search for content in message boards

Adam Payne of Belmont Co. Ohio

Adam Payne of Belmont Co. Ohio

Posted: 20 Jul 2001 12:18PM GMT
Edited: 13 Oct 2004 2:18AM GMT
Surnames: Payne, Bonham
Looking for any information on Adam Payne/Paine that married Elender Madden on March 25, 1806 Belmont Co. Ohio. Their daughter Martha b. 1817 Virginia married Aaron Bonham on June 23, 1834. Also looking for any Paine, Bonham connections these families seemed to marry each other quite often. Thank you.

Re: Adam Payne of Belmont Co. Ohio

Posted: 27 Sep 2001 1:51PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 7 Mar 2002 8:40AM GMT
Surnames: payne
I believe that Adam is the brother of Christopher and Aaron Payne. Do you have more info on Adam, such as the names of his other children? I have lots of info on Christopher and Aaron that I can share, but know very little re Adam.

Linda (View posts)
Posted: 27 Sep 2001 4:37PM GMT
Surnames: Payne, Bonham, Madden
I only have Adam's name because of his daughter, Martha J. b. 1817 in VA . She married Aaron Bonham, June 23, 1834. Did your Adam married an Elender Madden in Belmont Co. Ohio on March 25, 1806??? I would like to hear more if you have it on Adam. Thank you.

CiCi Morse (View posts)
Posted: 27 Sep 2001 5:50PM GMT
I only have Adam m Elender as I know that he was in OH as early as 1799, and there aren't that many Adams. I have heard that he traveled a lot, but don't have much of the documentation. He was a Quaker preacher, and was killed at the beginning of the Black Hawk War in IL, 1832. He was probably b VA, but could have been PA. His brother, Christopher, is my ancestor. The family seems to have gradually drifted west with Christopher in WI and Aaron in OR. Apparently their parents were Adam Payne and Rachel Dawson. I have some info posted at the Rootsweb World Connect project. What do do you that shows him to be Martha's father? I'm curious to know about his travels, but have had trouble finding info.

Linda (View posts)
Posted: 1 Oct 2001 2:50AM GMT
Surnames: Payne
There is a web site for things of the Black Hawk War in IL ,1832. In it is a listing for Aaron Payne 1789-1833. He was born in Somerset Co. PA . I think he was a brother to Adam Payne 1781-1832, and Christopher Payne 1786-1871. If you would like more information about the web site contact me at lsmcgee2000@yahoo.com . I dont think this Adam Payne was my ancestor but will keep checking. Thank you.

Posted: 8 Nov 2001 5:41PM GMT
Edited: 24 Sep 2002 4:08PM GMT
Surnames: PAINE/PAYNE
My wifes line is Margaret Paine/Payne dau. of William Paine/Payne - wife Catherine, who married Benjamin Huff/Hough in Loudon Co., Va. in 1806. She came to Belmont County, Ohio around 1816/1817 with her family, plus brother Jonathan Paine, and parents William and Catherine. According to a statement made by William Paine, he is Rev. Soldier, born in 1740 was claimed to be 80 years old in the 1820 affadavit. Mentioned that he was poor and had eleven children. However, he forgot to mention them. He is buried with others in the Paine cemetery in Belmont County, Ohio. Would be glad to share information.

Jim Stonecipher
18638 W. Geier Rd.
Gurnee, Il. 60031

CiCi Morse (View posts)
Posted: 8 Nov 2001 10:32PM GMT
I'm willing to share info, but I'm not sure how these families connect. Are you saying that you know something about Adam Payne in OH, 1799?

Posted: 9 Nov 2001 2:30PM GMT
Surnames: PAINE
My wife's William Paine and Catherine had 11 children. Some of the children were Moses, Jonathan, Margaret, and some people say Adam. Most of these children were born in the 1770-1790s. They lived in Belmont County, Ohio. In the 1820 statement about William's Rev. War Record, he states he has eleven children. I have not found a will for all of the names. One of the other Paines said that Adam was a son of William and Catherine. I don't know if this is your Adam or not.

CiCi Morse (View posts)
Posted: 9 Nov 2001 3:15PM GMT
Adam, b abt 1780 in PA(?), was the son of Adam, b abt 1750 in VA. It's possible that the two families are connected. Perhaps the older Adam was a brother of William? Do you know if William was in PA before going on to OH?

Posted: 10 Nov 2001 8:28PM GMT
Surnames: PAYNE
I know that William Payne and Catherine his wife, along with Jonathan Payne and his wife (bonham) and Margaret Payne and her husband Benjamin Hough came from Loudon County, Virginia to Belmont County, Ohio in 1816/1817. William's statement in 1820 says he was born in 1740.

Yesterday, I was at Valparaiso Public Library, Valparaiso, Indiana and they had material on Loudon County, Virginia. In the book "Index to Loudon County Wills 1757-1850" I found the following entry that possibly gives me Catherine Paynes maiden name.

Palmer, Jonathan, F:443, 1802
Orendort, Martha, Dau.
Nichols, James, Exor.
Palmer, Jonathan, Gr-Son
Payne, Catharina, Dau.
Palmer, John, Son
Pain, Jonathan, Gr-Son
Palmer, Cornelius, Son
Bonhem, Jonathan, Gr-Son
Bonam, Sarah, Dau.
Williams, Jude(y), Dau.
Brown, George, Wit.
Nickols, george, Wit.
Nickols, Nathan, Wit.

I believe that this is a good clue for our William Payne in Belmont County, Ohio instead of the William Payne and Catherine Arnold. A lot of people in Belmont County, seem to be in Pennsylvania, then to Virginia, back to Pennsylvania and then into Ohio. They probably didn't use the toll road.

If I find any more on an Adam Payne, I'll let you know.

Jim
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions