Search for content in message boards

Dame Agatha Mary Clarissa Miller Christie Mallowan

Dame Agatha Mary Clarissa Miller Christie Mallowan

Posted: 23 Feb 2002 5:06PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Christie, Miller, Pritchard, Mallowan
I am just starting to research my CHRISTIE surname. The few names that I have are listed below. If any of them sound familiar, please contact me with any information which you may have, however trivial it may seem.

All these people have had the surname of CHRISTIE, by birth or marriage:

in England:
Col. Archibald Christie m. Agatha Miller (the famous mystery writer Agatha Christie), Dec.24/1914, divorced 1928. Daughter Rosalind Christie born Aug.1919; Grandson Mathew Pritchard born 1943; Archibald Christie later married Nancy Neele, England.

Agatha Miller became Dame Agatha Mary Clarissa Miller Christie Mallowan.

In Africa:
Generation 1: Malcolm(?)Jack, Lindsay Gerald, William, Doris/Dora, Herculine
Generation 2: Doreen, Dawn, Margaret, Heather, Geraldine, Diane, Lindsay (Jr.)

Malcolm(?) Jack Christie, (M.J.Christie), was Speaker of the House, S. Rhodesia during Ian Smith's term. He lived in Harare (prev.Salisbury), until approx.1990, when he died, aged 81.

Thanking you in advance
Yvonne Janette Christie

Re: Dame Agatha Mary Clarissa Miller Christie Mallowan

Virginia Reifenberger (View posts)
Posted: 15 Feb 2006 5:07PM GMT
hello Yvonne,
Your Christie ancestry is pretty distinguished! Have you read the autobiography that Agatha wrote? In it, she details her parents her early childhood, marriage to Archie and subsequent divorce, although she only obliquely refers to the episode of her famous disappearance. There is another book called the Mystery of Agatha Christie which specifically deals with that topic.
Archibald Christie served in the English Air Corps during WW1. Agatha's book has a pic of her with Archie in it. Also her with Rosalind and other family photos. The Bodley Head in England published many of her books, and they may be able to help also.
good luck with your research. I have read and enjoyed all of Agatha's books and seen most of the films made from her books also. She was a great writer. And Archibald Christie went on to have a very successful career in finance also. He was happily married to his second wife for a long time also.

Re: Dame Agatha Mary Clarissa Miller Christie Mallowan

Virginia Reifenberger (View posts)
Posted: 15 Feb 2006 5:31PM GMT
I remember from Dame Agatha's autobiography she talked about Archie Christie's father having died and his mother Peg who was from Ireland,. re-married. I think his stepfather's name was William I will have to check the book, which I was reading not long ago. Agatha said in her book Archies' mother did not much care for her. Archie apparently fell in love wtih her at first sight, and her version of their courtship is detailed in her book. She was engaged to someone else at the time, and she broke their engagment. They were married on Christmas Day.
You have to read it. You will get a lot of info from it.
Archie had a brother, whom Agatha liked very much.
Agatha herself was born Agatha Miller. Her father was Fred Miller and her mother's name was Clara. They were actually cousins. Agatha had a brother named Monty (Montgomery) and a sister named Madge. Her sister was a very imaginative woman herself. Monty served in the Boer War in Africa and had mental problems, according to Agatha. He never had children that she knew of, accroding to her book.
Agatha's only child was Rosalind, as you probably know. Rosalind's first husband (Pritchard)was killed in action during WW2 and she eventually remarried. Matthew is her son by her first husband. I do not know if she had any children by her second husband.
Rosalind may perhaps be still living. She would be in her late 80s by now. Agatha was in her eighties when she herself died.
Agatha also talks about meeting her second husband Max Mallowan, and the problems she had marrying someone 15 years younger than she was. Sir Max eventually had works of his own published, and I'm sure some of these are still available.
How do you fit in to the puzzle? Archie had a brother named Campbell-do you descend through him?

per page

Find a board about a specific topic