Search for content in message boards

transferring files to Mac

transferring files to Mac

Posted: 6 Jan 2013 9:49PM GMT
Classification: Query
I have been using Family Historian for many years o n my PC. However it has now given up the ghost and I have a new iMac. Since there is no specific version of family Historian for Macs I am considering changing to Family Tree Maker which has. I know that I can use certain programmes on the Mac to cope with windows based applications but would prefer not to do so . So was wondering if anyone had experience of transferring Family Historian to Family Tree maker. Any pitfalls- any advice? Would be most grateful before I take the plunge. Thank you

Re: transferring files to Mac

Posted: 7 Jan 2013 4:59AM GMT
I'm going guess the only way you can transfer a file from the FH program is to by creating a GED and uploading it to a new gene program of your choice.

There are several Mac native genealogy applications. What are your goals? Only you know what your needs are.

Most programs, including FTMM have a 30 day money-back trial. Kick the tires of a few, (Reunion, FTMM, MacFamily Tree, to name a few. Read more about these programs on the respective boards) and see which one works best for you.

It helps to have a small file to test and work on before taking the grand plunge.

Posted: 7 Jan 2013 10:59AM GMT
Based on my own experience and what I've read here, I wouldn't go near FamilyTreeMaker for Mac at this point in time.

I use Reunion just fine. It has a very nice iPad version as well. Unfortunately, it's one if the most expensive programs.

Posted: 7 Jan 2013 11:55AM GMT
Thank you both for replies. The 30 day trail option is a good thought though whichever way I go. I will continue with my research for a while I think. I knew it was wise to ask! Don't want it to be a case of out of the frying pan into the fire! many thanks

Posted: 7 Jan 2013 11:55AM GMT
Thank you both for replies. The 30 day trail option is a good thought though whichever way I go. I will continue with my research for a while I think. I knew it was wise to ask! Don't want it to be a case of out of the frying pan into the fire! many thanks
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions