Search for content in message boards

Gowell/Gower in Wales

Gowell/Gower in Wales

Linden Young (View posts)
Posted: 21 Apr 2000 7:14PM GMT
Looking for any info on the family of Gower or Gowell (changed in US) in Wales.Last known relative was found in Kittery Maine, Richard Gowell born 1636. A Gower Peninsula exists in Wales, might this be a connection?
Contact by email. My Gowell relatives resided in Northern California in Ukiah. Last known relative is Juanita Alberta Gowell died in 1993. (my grandmother)

Gowells

Posted: 14 Feb 2001 9:53AM GMT
Edited: 20 Aug 2001 6:10PM GMT
Hi. My Gowells are from Auburn, Maine -- having relocated there from Kittery in 1799. For the most part, they are all still there (my generation excluded).

I'm very interested in the connection to Wales -- particularly in the name change. I had been aware of a possible change from "Gorell", but not "Gower".

Gowell's in Maine

Posted: 8 Mar 2001 4:21PM GMT
Edited: 16 Jul 2001 10:39PM GMT
Am currently researching the Gowell's from Maine, MY greatgreatgrandfather Alphonso Clark Gowell was born in Litchfield, Me, I've been able to trace his family back to Richard Gowell of Kittery,York Me. We could be cousins....Have information that I will share.

Maine Gowells

Posted: 9 Mar 2001 7:18AM GMT
Edited: 20 Aug 2001 6:10PM GMT
Thanks for replying. My e-mail is drane@aya.yale.edu

My Gowells arrived in Auburn in 1799 and have (more or less) stayed there ever since.

I'm particularly interested in any connection back to Wales/UK.

Re: Gowell's in Maine

Posted: 28 Aug 2001 5:40AM GMT
Classification: Query
Sharon;
Please email back perhaps we are cousins-mine too are from Maine- looks very close. My Gowells ended up here in California in the Potter Valley area (mendocino county-northern California-the house is still there))
While searching I came upon a Gowell Farm in Oxfordshire County west of London????

Linden

Posted: 28 Aug 2001 5:40AM GMT
Sharon;
Please email back perhaps we are cousins-mine too are from Maine- looks very close. My Gowells ended up here in California in the Potter Valley area (mendocino county-northern California-the house is still there))
While searching I came upon a Gowell Farm in Oxfordshire County west of London????

Linden

sharon gowell flanigan (View posts)
Posted: 28 Aug 2001 9:37PM GMT
Linden...Alway good to get a reply to questions on the message boards.
How are you related to the Richard Gowell line from Kittery Maine,he was my 9th great grandather on my father's side.My greatgreatgreat grandfather Asa Lewis Gowell died in Northern California durning the Gold Rush 1850. Looks like we could be cousins then. Looking forward to hearing from you in the future. Have information that I will share....Sharon

Re: Gowell/Gower in Wales

Posted: 5 Sep 2001 9:10PM GMT
Linden....When did your Gowell line move to Northern California from Maine. After the Civil War my great grandfather Alphonso Clark Gowell settled here in Michigan, and raised a famly of 19 children, not all lived to adulthood. Looking forward to exchanging information with you. Good luck in your search...Sharon Gowell Flanigan

Posted: 21 Dec 2001 3:01AM GMT
Edited: 3 Mar 2002 5:12PM GMT
Surnames: Gowell, Manley, Perrott
Hi Sharon, Richard Gowell was my 6th Great Grandfather. According to the kinship report, Asa Lewis Gowell was a 1st cousin, 4 times removed. My grandmother was Cleora Gowell Manley, daughter of Edwin Morrill Gowell.

LeRoy Manley

Sharon Gowell Flanigan (View posts)
Posted: 3 Mar 2002 1:57PM GMT
Surnames: Gowell,Cole, Mitchell, Berry,Southard
LeRoy...It looks like we are cousins, can you go back farther than Richard Gowell in your research of the Gowell line. I live in Michigan, would love to travel to Maine and visit with family from that area one of the days. Would love to hear from you.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions