Search for content in message boards

Nordmændene i Amerika by Martin Ulvestad

Nordmændene i Amerika by Martin Ulvestad

Lisa Butler (View posts)
Posted: 12 Jan 2003 3:06AM GMT
Classification: Query
I recently was lent the Nordmændene i Amerika by Martin Ulvestad, both volumes, after unsuccessfully bidding for them on Ebay. (Volume 2 was going for $300-400! Too rich for my blood.) I have made a xerox of Volume 2 all 508 pages, but before I copy all 800 pages of Volume 1 for nothing, I need to know what is in it. The text at the front will do me no good, being unable to speak Norwegian, but I can translate simple entries like at the back with my dictionary. Can anyone tell me how Vol 1 is organized and what the list in the last half of the book are? I know that Volume 2 is simply an alphabetical list of thousands of Norwegians, where they came from in Norway and where they ended up in the US (about 50% of Norwegians who immigrated to the US). What are the lists of names at the back of Volume 1? Are they duplicated in the alphabetical listings in Volume 2, or is Volume 2 (which was published 7 years later) all new additional names?
Lastly, I would love to save the whole book to CD using some kind of OCR software. This would allow me to share it easily with others (who like me don't want to spend $300 for a book they can't even find) rather than having to copy all those pages on a copier. Does anyone know of any OCR software that can read Old Norwegian text? I can save it all as jpegs on CD but it would be nicer to have it as a document.

Re: Nordmændene i Amerika by Martin Ulvestad

Posted: 15 May 2010 8:37AM GMT
I have the books. What would you like to know.....? It is all norske, yet the surnames are alike and somewhat easy to read. Let me know who you are trying to find and I will try to help as much as possible!

JJ (Njos) Roberts
samandjj@srt.com
www.neorelic.com/FamilyHistory

Posted: 16 May 2010 10:39AM GMT

There is also a webversion at Digitalarkivet:

http://da2.uib.no/cgi-win/WebBok.exe?slag=lesbok&bokid=u...

Posted: 27 Jul 2010 1:38AM GMT
You can now also buy a translated version from http://www.astrimyastri.com/ at a price not to be missed. It is bi-lingual and this Volume 1 represents pages 1-250 from the 1907 book.

Posted: 6 Aug 2013 9:12PM GMT
Surnames: NILSON-NELSON, DALEMOE
Lisa- If I understand it, you are saying that you have copied the majority of pages from this book? Would you mind sending me the following pages via my e-mail?Joytroutt@gmail.com
I need copies of pg. 136 & 137, Vol 1, pg 67, Vol 2.
I'm looking for info on Jonas Nelson (B) in the Meraker community of Trondheim, Norway. His father was Nels Iverson NILSON-NELSON. The father was the leader of large group of families that came to America in 1854, laterJonas settled in Arlington, Minnehaha, SD with his family during 1866.
I have the book "Norwegian Pioneers History of Minnehaha County, SD, from 1866 to 1896--Published by Minnehaha county's Norwegian Pioneer Organization. Published in 1928, translated and reprinted in 1976. I would be glad to reciprocate needed info. from this book if needed or I can do lookups in Pueblo, CO.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic