Search for content in message boards

John Hall CHAPMAN b.1815, Lycoming PA

John Hall CHAPMAN b.1815, Lycoming PA

Posted: 2 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 26 Dec 2001 4:29AM GMT
Surnames: CHAPMAN
John Hall Chapman was born in Lycoming County, Pennsylvania on May 25, 1815. Does anyone know of any Chapmans that lived in that area around that time? He married Mary Hawley in 1839 in Ohio, Columbiana Co. She was raised a Quaker. In 1847-48, they moved to Mercer County Ohio where he lived until he died in 1869. I have not been able to find any previous info on John. Please contact me if anyone has any suggestions to help locate his parents, siblings, etc. Thanks!

PA Chapman's

Posted: 18 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Tom,
Will also keep my eye out for your Chapmans. Possibly my Chapman and yours could be related. I have also seen a marriage date in Bucks County for a John Chapman and Anna Scout in 1771. I found this on the LDS site, the records are from the Newtown Presbyterian Church. I have not seen them though. Do you have access to these? If so and you see them, let me know. Have you subscribed to the Chapman List?

Chapman - PA

Posted: 18 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 8 Jul 2001 12:33AM GMT
Surnames: Chapman, Stewart, McKune
I am also searching for info on a Chapman family from PA. I have a record of a John Chapman marrying Isabella Turner in Lancaster Co., PA on 30 July 1757. I am looking for info on Mercy Chapman, born about 1775, who married Josiah Stewart. They lived near Great Bend, Susquehanna Co., PA in the early 1800s.

Elizabeth CHAPMAN b. 1817

Posted: 19 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: CHAPMAN, NELSON
David,
Just did some looking on FamilySearch and found your Lucina Jerusha listed on the IGI. There is a birthdate listed of May 27, 1853, which looks to be consistent with your listed age for the 1870 census. It shows she married a man by the name of Huge Bourne Lane in 1886 in Driftwood, Camron County, PA. Maybe the Huge should be Hugo, I don't know. Just wanted to let you know I saw this. Maybe it will help in some way to find Elizabeth's parents.

CHAPMANs of PA

Surnames: CHAPMAN, HAWLEY
It is possible that this could be a connection. John Hall CHAPMAN and his wife, Mary HAWLEY, had 9 children that I have been able to account for. While living in Columbiana County, Ohio they had the following:

Elizabeth Mary (called Lib) b. July 10, 1840
Nancy Anne b. July 31, 1842
Adnah Dallas b. May 15, 1844
Louisa Victoria b. May 14, 1845/46

After the move to Mercer County, Ohio, they then had the following children there:

John Lloyd Burleigh b. January 30, 1851
Windle Emanuel b. September 8, 1853
Helen Jane Josephine b. February 29, 1856
Richard Hawley b. April 1, 1859
Jessie Elnora Adarine b. July 25, 1862

I believe that Windle was named after Mary's brother Edward Emanuel D HAWLEY and after her sister's husband, Caleb WINDLE. I had also thought that maybe Richard was possibly named after John's father, as I have found some records for a Richard Chapman in both PA and Ohio, but have not tied them in yet. Adarine is also a name that was then passed on to the next generation, so there is also a possibility there. I will keep looking to see if there may be a connection somewhere too. Did you happen to see an obituary on Elizabeth from the local paper? I am looking for one for John in Mercer County hoping this may give me some clues. Keep in touch!!

Chapmans of Pa

David (View posts)
Surnames: Chapman, Nelson
I am looking for the parents & sibs of Elizabeth Chapman
b:6,Sept.,1817 at Dunnstown Pa near Lock Haven, Pa. This is near the Lycoming Co area of Pa. Maybe we have a connection.
Elizabeth Married William Nelson in 1850.She died in 1905. Elizabeth & William are buried in Huntley Cemetery,Huntley Pa. I'll keep a look out for your Chapman while I search for Elizabeth's family. David Nelson

Mercy CHAPMAN

Tom,

There is a listing on FamilySearch on Mercy Chapman. It is in the Ancestral Files, with a birthdate abt 1760. There is actually less info than what you have, however, the submitter's name and address are there and they may have more information at this time than they had when it was listed. You might try contacting them. I'm still looking for a tie-in to my lines!!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions