Search for content in message boards

Palatine Families in Rathkeale, Co. Limerick and Elsewhere - circa 1720

Palatine Families in Rathkeale, Co. Limerick and Elsewhere - circa 1720

Posted: 23 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Edited: 22 Jun 2001 5:38PM GMT
Surnames: Altimes, Alton, Baker, Barkman, Bartman, Barraban, Benner, Bickerin, Bonus, Bovenizer, Bowen, Bower, Bredhour, Brough, Cave, Cole, Cooke, Corneille, Cripps, Cronsberry, Delmege, Detlor, Doupe, Embury, Everett, Filme, Fitzelle, Folker, Grouse, Guier, Hartwick, Heavenor, Heck, Hibler, Hifle, Hoffman, Hoopf, Hoost, Laurence, Legear, Lodwick, Ludwig, Lowe, Lower, Lowes, Mick, Miller, Modler, Neazor, Piper, Poff, Richardt, Rodenbecker, Ruttle, Rynard, Ryner, Schmidt, Smyth, Shallas, Sheafer, Shearman, Shimmel, Shire, Shier, Shoemaker, Shoneweiss, Shouldice, Siebert, Singer, Smeltzer, Sparling, St John, Steevell, Steepe, Stork, Stark, Stroud, Switzer, Teskey, Tettler, Ushelbaugh, Young, Zigler, Southwell, Altimus, Ashbagh, Baker, Becker, Barklotine, Beever, Berg, Berge, Berner, Bearney, Bisherne, Boller, Crouse, Crow, Crowe, Fock, Fought, Fugenacht, Glazier, Gleasure, Golliday, Green, Hartwick, Hartrick, Hess, Hoffman, Holbach, Hornick, Horn, Jacobus, Jacob, Jekyll, Jeakle, Johan, Kirkhover, Klein, Kline, Konig, Koning, Kough, Cooke, Lambert, Long, Ludolf, Ludolt, Meyer, Myers, Miller, Nichburne, Paul, Poole, Rapple, Real, Ruhl, Reessnagh, Rufenacht, Reuling, Rhinehart, Richard, Richardt, Rosine, Rosen, Ross, Rose, Ryling, Schmidt, Smyth, Schultz, Sultz, Sheafer, Snitzerling, Staler, Steeble, Stengel, Stingill, Strosser, Swartz, Tyse, Twiss, Walter, Weiss, Wise, Wentz, Wolf, Writer, Rieter, Young
PALATINES: Prior to 1871, what is now Germany consisted of a number of separate states such as Wurttemberg, Prussia, Bavaria, etc., whose boundaries changed frequently as a result of war and other causes. The Palantinate was one of these states, and was located along the Rhine, roughly corresponding to the modern German state of Rhineland-Pfalz.

In 1709 several hundred Palatine families settled in Ireland. A combination of economic hardship causd by war and a severe winter led to the exodus. Queen Anne received them in England and sent some to Ireland to the estates of sympathetic Protestant landlords. They established roots, mainly in the Rathkeale area of County Limerick, Ireland, where about 1,200 of them settled on the estate of Thomas Southwell. Other colonies were set up in Old Ross and Gorey, County Wexford and in Counties Cork and Dublin. Thought the Limerick Palatines spread out to other areas, particularly north Kerry and Tipperary, Rathkeale remained an important focal point.

At Killaheen the site of the old Wesleyan Chapel where the Palatines worshipped may be seen today, also some of the old Palatine houses. A most interesting item is an old Palatine well. It consists of a trench cut into the ground deeper than the water table. The sides and the top are lined with stone and 18 stone steps lead down the clear cold water. Several such wells are to be found in the locality but some have been partly filled in for safety purposes.

At Courtmatrix, the earliest of the original colonies, the present occupiers of a house built in the Palatine style - long and low - which once longed to the Teskey family can be found with the interior which has been kept as close to its original condition as a modern lifestyle will permit. Behind the old Teskey home a carved stone cider press is still in position under an old tree, an interesting validation of the fact that the Palatines brought stone-cutting and winemaking skills with them from Germany.

The third of the parent colonies, Ballingrane, is the place where the most famous Irish Palatines lived. Barbara Heck and Philip Embury were the founders of Methodism in the USA, a denomination which now has a following of several million. Barbara Heck's old home is (1996) occupied by the family of Walter Ruttle, a Palatine descendant and a member of the Irish Palatine Association. Nearby can be found a pear tree under which John Wesley used to preach and a plaque marking the site of Philip Embury's home, long since demolished. A visit to Embury and Heck memorial church contains a horn blown by the burgermeister or Palatine leader to summon general meetings in the early days of the colony.

Castle Matrix is the home of Thomas Southwell, the landlord who brought the Palatines to Limerick. This ancient Fitzgerald castle has been completely restored and is occupied by the O'Driscoll family.

Some of the German-speaking people that came to North America did not come directly. Some Palatines spent time (from a few months to a few generations) in other countries, including Ireland.

Palatine families living in the Rathkeale area circa 1720 included: Altimes/Alton, Baker, Barkman/Bartman, Barraban, Benner, Bickerin, Bonus, Bovenizer, Bowen, Bower, Bredhour, Brough, Cave, Cole, Cooke, Corneille, Cripps, Cronsberry, Delmege, Doupe, Embury, Everett, Filme, Fitzelle, Folker, Grouse, Guier, Hartwick, Heavenor, Heck, Hibler, Hifle, Hoffman, Hoopf, Hoost, Laurence, Legear, Lodwick/Ludwig, Lowe, Lower, Lowes, Mick, Miller, Modler, Neazor, Piper, Poff, Richardt, Rodenbecker, Ruttle, Rynard, Ryner, Schmidt/Smyth, Shallas, Sheafer, Shearman, Shimmel, Shire/Shier, Shoemaker, Shoneweiss, Shouldice, Siebert, Singer, Smeltzer, Sparlng/Sparling, St. John, Steevell, Steepe, Stork/Stark, Stroud, Switzer, Teskey, Tettler/Detlor, Ushelbaugh, Young and Zigler.

Palatine families in the rest of Ireland circa 1720 included: Altimus/Altimes, Ashbagh, Baker/Becker, Barklotine, Beever, Berg/Berge, Berner/Bearney, Bisherne, Boller, Crouse, Crow/Crowe, Fock/Fought, Fugenacht, Glazier/Gleasure, Golliday, Green, Hartwick/ Hartrick, Hess, Hoffman, Holbach, Hornick/Horn, Jacobus/Jacob, Jekyll/Jeakle, Johan, Kirkhover, Klein/Kline, Konig/Koning, Kough/Cooke, Lambert, Long, Ludolf/Ludolt, Meyer/Myers, Miller, Nichburne, Paul, Poole, Rapple, Real/Ruhl, Reessnagh/Rufenacht, Reuling, Rhinehart, Richardt/Richard, Rosine/Rosen, Ross/Rose, Ryling, Schmidt/Smyth, Schultz/Sultz, Sheafer, Snitzerling, Staler, Steeble, Stengel/Stingill, Strosser, Swartz, Tyse/Twiss, Walter/Weiss, Wise, Wentz, Wolf, Writer/Rieter, and Young.

There is an Irish Palatine Heritage Centre in Rathkeale, (near Limerick and Adare),Co. Limerick, with extensive displays of artifacts, photographs, etc. associated with the Palatine families.

TWISS family

Posted: 7 Dec 2001 4:38AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 28 Feb 2002 6:16AM GMT
Surnames: TWISS
Ms. Rice,

You had written a message on "Irish Palatine Families in RATHKEALE, Co. Limerick" and I was wondering, if, you would, please, help me with my request.

I have been told, besides you, that I have TWISS ancestors in Co. Limerick and I was wondering, if you would, please, tell me where I may be able to get the e-mail/website/SNAIL MAIL/contact name/ph/fax numbers for the Irish Palatine Heritage Centre in REATHKEALE (near Limerick, and Adare), Co. Limerick.

If I have already asked you this question in the past, please, forgive me, but, I would appreciate it very much if you would send me, again, the appropriate information required.

I wish to thank you so very much.

Shannah

Re: Palatine Families in Rathkeale, Co. Limerick and Elsewhere - circa 1720

Edward Hornick (View posts)
Posted: 29 Nov 2002 4:31AM GMT
Surnames: Hornick,Reminsky,Dolinski,Barlac
am tring to find my family members,they came from
Slovakia (Sophie (Barlac) Hornick) and
Francis
Reminsky,Barbara(Dolinski)Reminsky.
They are from Austria Hungury (Joseph Julius

Hornick).They came over about 1900s.
there is a possible connection from the town of Watyasfain and Hungury near the Tatra mountains

Posted: 2 Dec 2002 2:04AM GMT
Edited: 17 Mar 2005 3:28AM GMT
Surnames: Kough/Baker
I am researching Koughs/Bakers. Do you have a
Sarah Baker b. wft est 1786-1820 married a William Kough b. 1808 she might of had two brothers Henry and John. Also other names I think might be related to William are two sister Ursula and Susan.
Please let me know if any of these look familiar.
William and Sarah had two sons, Edward and William Jr.

Records available? Rathkeale Parish Church c. 1813-1814

Posted: 21 Jan 2003 3:01AM GMT
Surnames: Railey/Raley, Ruckle, Stark, Hoover, Durst, Merrill, Bailey
I have seen many references to the marriage of Henry Ruckle who married Catharine "Kitty" Stark, supposedly on 29 Apr 1813 in Kilfinane in Co. Limerick. And I descend from their daughter, Mary Ann Ruckle who married William Raley in Allegany County MD. She was born 2 Feb 1814. But I have not seen primary records.

Does anyone know if they exist?
Thanks to all for any help.
Beverly Railey Walter
Oakmont PA
bez4@aol.com

Posted: 28 Dec 2004 7:57PM GMT
Edited: 5 Jul 2005 6:51PM GMT
Surnames: Young, Clemmer, Hoffman, Miller, (Jarnagin, McLain) my wifes side
I am trying to find my #5 G/GF Peter Young, maybe born in Glenosheen, Limerick, IR. abt. 1749. I was talking by mail to Billy Steepe that did live there but has passed on. He was m to Nellie Young but I know nothing about her. They have both passed on in the last 4 months. He was the most knolageable
on the Palitines around there. A great loss!
My Peter was in Rowan Co., NC, USA in 1766 and married there.
Any help !
Roland Young
Clovis, Ca. USA

Posted: 17 May 2005 11:01AM GMT
Surnames: STARK
I ENJOYED READING THIS MY FAMILY OF STARK COME FROM RATHKEALE THEY MOVED TO LIMERICK CITY ABOUT 1880 LIVED THERE EVER SINCE FOUND SOME NAMES IF ANY IS INTERESTED DATING BACK TO ABOUT 1880

Posted: 30 Dec 2006 7:30PM GMT
Surnames: EMBURY
I was interested to read the history of the Palatine families that came to Ireland around 1720 from Germany, particularly as I found the surname EMBURY in the list of families that settled in Rathkeale. Can anyone help with names of this Embury family, or where I could obtain information about them, and whether they ever moved over to the UK and settled in the London area. Any information would be of interest. Thanks.

Posted: 1 Jan 2007 6:39PM GMT
Surnames: Altimes/Allen in Limerick
Yes, I'm researching my ALLEN family from Limerick and I've found a branch of ALTIMES but until now I thought it was a spelling error! Very interesting. Thank you.

Re: TWISS family

Posted: 23 Jan 2007 4:20AM GMT
Surnames: Twiss, Corneille, Thompson, Worrell
William Twiss born 1804 of Co. Limerick married Anne Corneille(1815-1901), daughter of John Corneille and Jane Eaton.

Anne lived with her sister, Mrs. Worrell for a few years. After she married she lived in County Kerry. Anne married William Twiss according to Ehrig. Anne attended Lady Dunravens School in the old manastary at Adare where fine needlework and penmanship were considered a very important part of a girl's education. Anne was widowed early; ran the farm for ten years; then moved to Canada with her son, Robert Twiss of Glencoe and Mrs. William Thomson of Blenheim.

Before she married William Twiss, but following the death of her mother, she went to live with Mrs. Worrell (her sister) in Limerick In 1839, after she and William Twiss were married, she went to live in Co. Kerry. There they lived in a valley on 700 acres deeded by the King to the Twiss family for public service. Times were unsettled. Her son, Robert Twiss remembers the minister, Mr. Herbert, carried two pistols and while preaching layed one on each side of the bible.

Anne Twiss, went as a widow, to Ontario Canada in 1869 and lived in Glencoe and Blenheim where she lived with her children. She had a daughter Elizabeth (Mrs. William Thompson) of Blenheim and Robert Twiss in Glencoe was her son.

Who were the parents of William Twiss? Any documentation out there on this family?

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions