Search for content in message boards

FTM synch to Ancestry

FTM synch to Ancestry

Posted: 13 Jan 2013 3:40AM GMT
Classification: Query
I posted this originally on the wrong board. I synch from FTM and have had ongoing problems with the synch. When it first happened (couldn't synch at all for days) I did the unlink and relink thing. Since then it is has been erratic - taking many attempts sometimes to achieve synch - at present I think I am on about the 15th attempt for the evening. Next morning - still no joy! I understand there is a way to initiate the synch from within Ancestry and I would like to try that to see how that works. I would appreciate some guidance about how to do that if anyone can help please. J

Re: FTM synch to Ancestry

Posted: 13 Jan 2013 9:13PM GMT
You can't initiate a SYNC from the ACOM member tree program.

Do you have auto-sync enabled?

Posted: 13 Jan 2013 10:50PM GMT
Edited: 13 Jan 2013 10:52PM GMT
Yes, it happened automatically when I shut down, or automatically on startup if I had abandoned synch on shutdown, which I had to do lately because of repeated failures to synch. I was also in the habit of regularly manually synching throughout a session.

On FTM startup just then, it tells me that I am not uploaded and linked - aaggghhh!!! I did not unlink it. My right-hand side bar indicates that it IS synched.

Tried compacting again last night - hung up half way through and after several hours of being hung I cancelled it. Other issues too but the synching is the main frustration.

Any advice very welcome!

Jennifer

Posted: 13 Jan 2013 10:57PM GMT
Update: just tried compacting again and this time it worked.

Posted: 13 Jan 2013 10:58PM GMT
Update: just tried compacting again and this time it worked.

Posted: 15 Jan 2013 4:50AM GMT
I'm not a proponent of auto or constant sync. I don't see the need to be constantly syncing, my pace of research doesn't merit syncing more than once a week.

Ancestry, for some reason I've never been able to get a logical answer to, maintains that auto-sync should always be enabled. I beg to differ, I've never used auto-sync and I never have the issues so many post about.

The Ancestry site has always had server issues, there was a long and recent bout over the holidays. Experienced users know to avoid Ancestry on the holidays, they offer free access, they drive hard to increase subscriptions, and people have more time on their hands to be on the site.

It's best to be aware of how the site is functioning before syncing. I'm simply detailing what is working for me. There's vast room for improvement on Ancestry's part, but I get the most out of the service by being aware and learning how to work around the wonky.

Posted: 15 Jan 2013 5:28AM GMT
Thank you - maybe the server problems at Ancestry are to blame. Holidays are the only time I get enough free time to spent on this hobby. During school terms all my research goes on hold. I still have an issue that FTM says that my database is NOT linked to Ancestry, Ancestry says that it is - but it still doesn't synch.

Once I get the present problem sorted, do you think that turning off auto-synch might fix the problem from there on? In the meantime I have not taken any action to try to fix the problem in the grim hope that it might fix itself.

Maybe we need a calendar of peak-time usage of Ancestry? Bearing in mind also that the long summer holidays in the Northern hemisphere are different from those in the South.

Thank you again. J

Posted: 15 Jan 2013 7:12PM GMT
Try this in this sequence.

Every file/tree you have a unique preferences. Do you have more than one tree?

In FTMM2, turn SYNC off in each tree.

Sign-off of Ancestry.com in FTMM2, then quit FTMM2.

From your browser (what browser are you using when you go directly to Ancestry.com?, use Fire Fox, more stable than Safari). Go to Ancestry.com and sign off of your account.

Empty the cache of the browser.

Quit the browser.

At this stage, I would prepare to do a permissions repair on my machine. Do you know how to do this? If not, go to the Apple site and search "disk utility". If you're not familiar with this, now is the time to learn, you'll need to use it on rare occasion. This is not difficult nor time consuming, 1/2 hours tops reading and performing, next time you need to use it, 5 minutes.

You'll be restarting your machine after the permissions repair.

Fire up your browser, go to Ancestry.com and sign-on to your account.

Fire-up FTMM2 and sign-on to Ancestry.com.

Hopefully this will right the wrong.

Choosing to keep sync enabled is your personal choice. If you choose to keep it off, and only manually sync, it won't affect you ability to use the built-in web browser and the Ancestry site from FTMM2, this is something I don't use, too many wonkies, it's clunky and slow. I prefer to search direct from the site, I work with 10 tabs open to different areas of the site at a time. You can't do that on FTMM2.

I highly recommend creating and keeping a small but heavy on the media test tree to play around with. You can learn function without worrying about destroying your data.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions