Search for content in message boards

SHANKS,GOODMAN,LAWSON

SHANKS,GOODMAN,LAWSON

Susan Goodman Taylor (View posts)
Posted: 7 Feb 2003 9:26PM GMT
Classification: Query
I have been trying to find my GG grandparents for sometime now. My great grandmother on my father's side was Minerva Jane Lawson (April 25, 1868- April 18, 1947). She was the daughter of John Lawson and Mary Ann Davis Lawson. My great grandfather was William Thomas Goodman (Sept. 7, 1864- June 4, 1935). He and Minerva Jane were married Feb. 23, 1883 in Hawkins County. In the 1880 Hawkins County census in District 11, I found Amanda Goodman- age 38 and William T. Goodman- age 17 living with John Shanks- age 70 and Eda Shanks- age 68. Does anyone have any information on Amanda and William T. Goodman? Is Amanda related to John and Eda Shanks? Who is William T.'s father? The way I have part of the relationship figured is: Minerva Jane Lawson was the first cousin to Lucinda Lawson Shanks, b. 1851, who married Clinton Shanks ( son of John and Eda Shanks). Also, I have a picture of Gaines Lawson (1840- 1906) taken during the Civil War, wearing his uniform. It is addressed "To Mother". He was Minerva Jane Lawson's uncle. Am I also somehow related to this family through my GG grandmother and Possibly my GG grandfather? If anyone has any ideas about these people, would you please let me know.

Re: SHANKS,GOODMAN,LAWSON

David Jones (View posts)
Posted: 11 Feb 2003 1:20AM GMT
Surnames: Lawson, Willis, Shanks, Goodman
Gaines, James, McClellan, Jane and John Lawson were siblings, and were children of Piney Lawson. There is a lot of information at:

http://jove.prohosting.com/~luvgwife/lawson.htm

The problem will be in figuring out the ancestry of the children of Piney--at least the three born before 1840--the children after 1840--James and Gaines--are often attributed to James Willis. Piney had two boys 10-15 and one girl 5-10 in 1840. This is likely to be John, McClellan and Jane in 1850. Some have speculated that Piney is the widow of an unknown son of Burrell Lawson.

Susan Goodman Taylor (View posts)
Posted: 12 Feb 2003 5:42PM GMT
Surnames: SHANKS,GOODMAN,LAWSON
Do you know who Amanda Goodman and William T. Goodman were? They were living with John and Eda Shanks. Was Amanda a relative of John and Eda?
Susan

David Jones (View posts)
Posted: 12 Feb 2003 8:14PM GMT
Surnames: Lawson, Goodman, Shank
There is something funny going on with the Goodmans. In 1880 Hawkins County there are several Goodman children living with other families in the same District as John and Mary Ann Lawson. My suspicion is that their parents died and they were orphaned. However, there doesn't appear to be any Goodman children in 1870 Hawkins who match the 1880 Goodman children. My first though is that they may be Hancock County Goodmans. There is a Mary Goodman living in Hancock in 1860 at the home of Alsey Gordon with a 1 year old William and a 12 year old Amanda Goodman. I don't know if those children match with the age of the William and Amanda at the Shanks residence.

David Jones (View posts)
Posted: 13 Feb 2003 1:55AM GMT
Surnames: Shanks, Goodman, Lawson
I looked at the 1860-1880 Hawkins County District 11 censuses. The census evidence suggests that Amanda Goodman was the daughter of William and Catharine Shanks. The online census transcription shows a Maude as the 1860 daughter of William Shanks, but the original image clearly reads Manda not Maude--this is the big problem of relying on transcriptions instead of the original census images. William and John Shanks were likely brothers--or so it would have to be for Amanda to be John's niece. William Thomas Goodman would then likely be the son of Amanda given the age difference. I haven't found a compatible Goodman in 1870 Hawkins. Maybe Amanda's husband died in the war since her only child seems to be 17 year old. William T. was born in VA, so it could have been Lee or Scott County, but they are not there in 1870.

Posted: 24 Mar 2004 3:52AM GMT
Edited: 6 Apr 2004 2:44AM GMT
Hello,
I have no idea, but there is a Goodman Lawson listed in the Russell County, VA Census in 1860 married to Mary. This is probably your family and several Lawsons now live in Scott & Russell Co.

denise (View posts)
Posted: 10 Jul 2006 2:53PM GMT
I have a Goodman (Golden) Lawson married to a Mary Vanderpool. They were there abt. the same time could this be the same ones They would be my gggrandparents

susan taylor (View posts)
Posted: 11 Jul 2006 8:16PM GMT
Surnames: SHANKS,GOODMAN,LAWSON
Where did they live? I wonder if they might be related, especially with the given name Goodman and the surname Lawson.

Denise (View posts)
Posted: 13 Jul 2006 9:51PM GMT
They lived in Virginia 1849. They lived in Lawrence co, Ky. in 1870.

Posted: 7 Nov 2007 4:37AM GMT
Is there any way you could post the picture of Gaines Lawson?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions