Search for content in message boards

William RAY (b 1740 Ireland) PA>KY>OH>IN

William RAY (b 1740 Ireland) PA>KY>OH>IN

Posted: 8 Sep 2001 6:29AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 3 Jun 2005 8:06PM GMT
Looking for any information on William RAY (b. 26 Nov 1740 Belfast, Ireland - d. 28 July 1840 Vigo Co., IN) and his wife, Ann BROWN of MD.

Wm. came to America in 1772 moved aft Rev. War to Jefferson Co., KY. In 1810 moved to Butler Co., Ohio and 1818 moved to Vigo Co., IN. where he died.

I am researching all his 12 children:
(1) Mary RAY (b. 1780 KY) md. John MORRIS
(2) Elizabeth RAY (b. ?) md. JENNINGS/SMITH
(3) Jane RAY (b. ?) md. John MANSFIELD
(4) Rosa RAY (b. ?) md. FERRET
(5) William RAY (b, 22 Nov 1787 KY) md. Sarah MILER
(6) John RAY (bc1788 KY) md. Barbara LUTZ
(7) Robert RAY (b. 16 Jul 1789 KY) md. Mildred J. WALLS
(8) Sarah RAY (b. ?) md. McKINNEY
(9) Samuel RAY (b. ?) md. ?
(10) Mary "POLLY" RAY (b. ?) md. ?
(11) James Brown RAY (b. 19 Feb 1794 KY) m1 Mary RIDDLE m2. Esther GAY
(12) Martin M. RAY (b. 29 Aug 1795 KY) md1. Nancy WASSON md2. Rahel CATALIN.

Brent
Bbaughn@aol.com

Re: William RAY (b 1740 Ireland) PA>KY>OH>IN

James Perkins (View posts)
Posted: 15 Oct 2001 1:42PM GMT
Brent
Are you certain William had 12 children? I have a reference to only 11, 6 boys and 5 girls. Could your (1) Mary be the same person as (10) Mary"Polly"??? I' m a decendant of William,Jr your (5).

William (born in Belfast) was born, 23 Nov 1740 and died 28 July 1840
in Riley township of Vigo County, IN at an age of 99 yrs, 8 mos and 2
days. His wife Ann died there in 1825 at the age of 69 years.

William joined the "Steelboys Rebellion" to fight for tenant farmer rights and certain liberties from the land-owning class, He was captured, imprisoned, sentenced to be put to death but escaped prison by being put into a "hogshead"(large cask that would hold 43-140 gallons of liquid) and smuggled on board a ship to the colonies in America.

This and more, was taken from an article, published by the Vigo County Historical Society in VOL,XIX, No.7 SEPTEMBER,1968 of their publication called "Leaves of Thyme".

I'd be interested in what you find on these decendants and I can add a little more on the William, Jr family and decendants of their daughter Elizabeth (grandaughter of William Ray of Belfast).

Good hunting!

James Perkins

Mimi Lathan (View posts)
Posted: 15 Oct 2001 4:22PM GMT
your William sounds very much lie my line of Rays except most of them began in VA and then began to migrate. My William was born 1700-1710, supposedly came to VA with two brothers. Not sure who he married. He and his wife, Elizabeth (U/N) had a child named Elizabeth among others.
They also had a son, Jesse Ray who setteled in Wilkes County, NC, later becomming Ashe Co. He married Nellie Eleanor Baker, and was later appointed Col. of the malitia.
They had about twelve children, one being Elizabeth "Betsy." Could these be the same Rays? The only thing that makes me doubt is the way your William entered the States? If I can help, please e-mail me.

Posted: 15 Oct 2001 4:30PM GMT
Surnames: RAY MILLER LEE
Yes, I think you are correct that William RAY (b. 1740 Ireland) had 11 children, not 12. Some sources I have list 12, some 11. I've not found anything on the second "Mary" and I now think she doesn't exist.

I have some material on Wm. RAY's son William Jr. (b. 22 Nov 1787 Jefferson Co., KY - d. 11 Mar 1858 Vigo Co., IN) bur. Mt. Pleasant cemetery (70y-2m-20d). He marr. 12 Sept 1810 Butler Co., OH to Sarah MILLER.

Their daughter, Elizabeth RAY (b. 2 Mar 1815 Butler Co., OH-d. 7 Mar 1852) marr. 24 Mar 1833 Vigo Co., IN to Jonathan LEE. He is said to be a soldier in the Mexican War. They reported to have had 6 children.

I'll contact you on email to exchange more data.

Thanks for your response,
Brent
Bbaughn@aol.com

Jeannie (View posts)
Posted: 8 Nov 2001 6:54PM GMT
Surnames: RAY
Hi,
I Am looking for the parents of Charles Lovell Ray. He was born Feb 3, 1862 in Jefferson County, Kentucky.
He married Christine Koller in Louisville, Kentucky 1886. They moved to Montana in 1910. I know he had one sister but do not have her name or if there were more in the family. Any help would be appreciated.

Posted: 8 Nov 2001 9:14PM GMT
Surnames: RAY
None of the names I know of William RAY (b. 1740 Ireland) descendants have the name Charles Lovell RAY.

Wm. RAY had 6 sons.
William Jr, John (died 1820 IN), Robert, Samuel, James B., and Martin M. RAY.

After William moved to Ohio in 1810 and in 1818 to Indiana none of his sons, I believe, were then living in Jefferson Co., KY by that time. I know the names of many of their descendants except for William's son, Samuel RAY.

I think Samuel also moved to OH and IN, but I'm not sure. I've never been sure where he went and can't find him in the 1850 census. He is listed in Wm RAYS probate papers of 1840, and was alive then.

By 1862 there are many descendants of William's children and it's possible one could be your Charles, but it is not likely.
Many of the descendants seemed to live in OH, IN, and IL by that time and later moved westward.

Brent
Bbaughn@aol.com

jEANNIE (View posts)
Posted: 8 Nov 2001 9:31PM GMT
Thank you for your answer. I will continue looking.

Posted: 15 Nov 2001 3:50AM GMT
Edited: 25 May 2003 8:36PM GMT
Have you try looking under the spelling of Wray. Some of thWray are now spelling there names Ray.

Am related to the Ray family in or around Terre Haute Vgio County , Indiana .

Also Try Wray / Ray they are the same family some of the children og Larkin Perry Wray names are the same but two wasin srevice when the W was drop off there name.

George G. Wray family is now George G. Ray and Abner Wray family is the same as Georgelast name.

The reason I know this is that George G. Ray is my G- G-Grandfather .

The Wray / Ray was in Blowing Green Owen County , Indiana and George son John E. W. Ray was the father of Agnes Virginia Ray my Grandmother on my mother's side of the Ray in Riley Township Vigo County , Indiana.

I have a list of Wray / Ray family from White plaines Brunswick County , Virginia. That come from Carl C. L. Ray son of John E. W. Ray .

I hope that I was able to help you out in some ways about the Ray in Vgio County , Indiana.

Howie

Posted: 15 Nov 2001 1:52PM GMT
Edited: 27 Dec 2001 6:36PM GMT
Surnames: Ray, Kefauver, Mallory
Hello! I have Ray family out of Boutetout and Roanoke, Virginia. I can go back further but my line is Willam E. RAY married Elizabeth Ann KEFAUVER. Their children, the oldest, Sarah A. RAY, all moved to Daviess County, Missouri. Sarah married Granville H. MALLORY and in 1861 their 1st child, Laban Washington MALLORY was born. I'm doing this from memory right now so the 1861 gives you a time frame. William's father was Luke RAY. I think this family can be found on the gencircles.com forum if you enter Luke Ray. Hope this helps some, Marie

Posted: 16 Nov 2001 7:22PM GMT
Edited: 6 Nov 2006 8:32PM GMT
Surnames: Ray
I am interested in your notes on your GGGrandfather, George Ray. Am wondering if he might be in the same line as my grandfather T. J. Ray from somewhere in Indiana or Illinois. What peeks my interest is the 'George' because T. J. Ray named one of his sons 'George'. Wonder if there might be a link? Thomas James and a brother went in Oklahoma sometime around 1900, give or take ten years. Would be interested to hear from you. I have two E-Mail Addresse:
pekinghowell@netscape.net
and
serenity@syracusenet.net

Tom Howell
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions