Search for content in message boards

Jasper Pillow

Jasper Pillow

Paul Pillow (View posts)
Posted: 8 Sep 2001 6:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am looking for the birth place of Jasper Pellow(Pillow)
I think he might have been born around Devonshire in 1710
I also looking for any info on his parents

Thanks Paul Pillow

Re: Jasper Pillow

John Eichorn (View posts)
Posted: 22 Oct 2001 2:50PM GMT
All I have is that he was born in 1710 in England and died in 1780 in Amelia County

Posted: 7 Feb 2002 12:37AM GMT
Surnames: Pillow
Paul - my maternal ancestry is the Pillow family of VA. Jasper came, I believe, in 1740 from England. Basically, that is what I have I am sure of. In a search at the Mormon's family history centers, I found - possibly - his grandparents.
And parents. Odd names - can't recall exactly and don't have my records here just now. You might try the Family History Center in your area at a Mormon church and look into their international files -- One name was Waterlow, as I recall -
Good luck. If I can help you further, email me at pmmcneely@prodigy net. Also, if you have any information on a Martin Pillow of Va. before 1850-1860, please let me hear from you.

pat (View posts)
Posted: 29 Mar 2002 4:09AM GMT
Surnames: McGehee-Ligon
I am very interrested in your Jasper Pillow. His son Wm had son Wm Jr who was bondsman for my Milton N.Mcgehee in 1834 in Wilson Co TN where Wm died bfore 1840. He had wife Adeline(?) and I need her maiden name. Jasper was in Rev War with my John McGehee in Amelia VA and both recieved clothing issue on same day. I believe Adeline may be John McGehee's daughter. Do you show any McGehee /McGhee/McGee in your info .Or a Ligon surname? I am also wondering about your Martin as we have a Martin McGehee in VA about same time. Any help welcome Thanks Pat

Posted: 29 Mar 2002 10:05PM GMT
Edited: 11 Jun 2002 12:19AM GMT
Surnames: Pillow
Thanks for your quick reply! In answer to your question about a Mcgehee, I don't recall seeing the name among those I have traced - which signifies nothing really - my tracings have been a bit limited. However, if you contact lingen1999@aol.com, she may have more info in that direction. There were so few people here in those early days,
it seems quite likely that the name is on the "tree" somewhere. I am seeking to track back to England/France.
Then I will spread out a bit. Thruout the Pillow line, the popular names seemed to be James, William, John, Gideon -
you stumble on them over and over and it gets really confusing! We know the Pillows were largely in VA and TN -
and in the northern part of NC, which, colonially was a part
of VA at one time. More confusion.... Let me know what you
find and I will explore in the meantime. Nice to hear from you.
pmmcneely

Juanita Frye (View posts)
Posted: 10 Oct 2002 4:45PM GMT
Paul, I have a lot of information on the Pillows. I have the Walker Manscript. If you will tell me your mailing address I will mail you what I have. I mailed a Paul some information once but never heard from him again. I live in Alabama and all my Pillow family moved into Tennessee and they came from Virginia. I have a great grand Mother named Eliza Jane Pillow born 1823 Tn and died 1912 Pulaski Tn she married Williamson Collier. she had Julia Catherine who is my grandmother and Martha Jane. Nancy Angeline. Sarah,Scott and Judd or Jedd.If you happen to know of her parents let me know.It is to much to type into the computer.Much Luck Nita Frye

Pat Morse-McNeely (View posts)
Posted: 11 Oct 2002 2:37PM GMT
Nita - I have received your message about the Pillows of VA. and TN. It may have been misdirected as you address Paul
in your message. However, I am a Pillow descendant of the
Pillows (FFV's of Va) and am interested in what you have.
I should like to correspond with you re this and other such
Pillow connections. Please email me direct and let's compare notes. I am descended from Wm. Barton Pillow, who came to Tx from Va in 1820. Pat Morse-McNeely

PauL Pillow (View posts)
Posted: 7 May 2004 8:53PM GMT
Nita , in looking through the board messages I came across
your message. Please send me the information talked about.

My address is 2316 W 24Th St Greeley, Colorado 80634
Or you can call @ 970-506-9205 Thanks

Paul Pillow

Posted: 6 Jul 2010 9:22PM GMT
Hello Nita Frye,

What is the WALKER manuscript as it relates to Pillow's?

Posted: 2 Oct 2013 7:14PM GMT
Surnames: Morse (McNeely, Dodge), Pillow, Perrett, Grigg
In the rather sketchy files I have, I have one re the origin of the Pillow name --- It is French! There, it spelled Pillot, Pilleaux, Pilleau -- In spasmodic researh, I have learned they wre French Huegonots -- the flight from France and through Europe and England to the new world was caused by the persecution in France in th mid-1700s(I think it was)...Many people scattered all over the then known world to escape the guillotine for their religious group.... I have not had the money or time to race a lot re the scattering ---
I did meet a Huegonot group in Austin several years ago -- Went to a luncheon they held and talked to several Pillows there --- Have not had contact since and am wondering if they are still together, etc.
Jasper Pillow was my grandfather's father's father! My grandfather was James Edwin Pillow (last of Houton TX -d.1940) His father, William Barton Pillow, left VA at 14 years and came to Texas after his father Jasper's death (due to the law or primogeniture practiced--if not official) in VA at that time --- law allowed only oldest son to inherit land etc. William B was killed in a lumber yard accident in 1854 in Lurissa (now gone) Texas -- He married a woman from La (cannot recall her name just now) and they had a couple of land grants in early TX --- William B. fought with Houston at San Jacinto (no records in the militia files --- but many besides those were there to fight (un-enlisted, as it were) an
the right to his grants came through his participation with two fighting buddies affirmation that he was there.... The Pillow family of Wm. Barton Pillow, son of Jasper in VA, has been here in Texas since 1820 ---They farmed in East Texas for many years. My Pillows lived in several places, as my grandfather James Edwin was a tenant farmer much in desire for land holders as he was a master farmer that could make things grow where others could not... Ultimately, he move to Galveston in 1904 or so, was a master carpenter --- separated from my grandmother ca 1905 or so and lived in one of the small towns on the mainland as a shoemaker. James Edwin Pillow died in 1940 in Houton TX
at 89 years --- after never being sick in his life --- The family has since scazttered during and after
WWII, --- family names now: Morse, Perrett, Grigg, Pillow (and various married names).....Most Pillow descendants from Wm.B are scttered all over Texas --- those that are left --- I am 90 years.

Patricia Morse McNeely -- Poet/Writer ///LIVE, LOVE, LAUGH, LISTEN, LEARN
per page

Find a board about a specific topic