Search for content in message boards

Cemetary found on our land

Cemetary found on our land

Barb Henson (View posts)
Posted: 1 Dec 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Phillips, Lowe
We recently found a cemetary on our land in Grahn, Carter County, Kentucky. Grahn is outside of Olive Hill and Grayson. The marked stone reads" Wesley Phillips, son of S.S. and Rose???(Rosemary I think) Phillips. 1862 to 1894.
We would like to find relatives as we want to restore the cemetary. There are several unmarked stones there also, which I have not been able yet to clean to see if marked. Anyone related please contact me at barbhenson@webtv.net

Cemetary on our land

Barb Henson (View posts)
Posted: 2 Dec 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Phillips, Lowe, Williams
Behind the first cordwood house on Aden Road, right across from Dry Fork is a cemetary.That house is on one end of our property(we gave them 10 acres to build on) That cemetary is actually over a little and I don't think it's on us. If you keep going on Aden Rd. toward Grahn you will see the cordwood house we are building.It is on the same side but opposite end of our property.This house is just before Bailey Branch.If you walk straight up the hill behind our new house and back just a little ways is where we found the stones.The stone marked with Wesley's name is white and about 36" tall. There are more grave stones all unmarked and chiseled out of natural stone. I am sure you are right about his mother's name. It was hard to read her name on the stone although it is in good shape.We want to clean up the area and fence it to protect it. Would like to try to figure out who else is buried there so maybe we could put a sign or marker of names. I have never been to the one behind the GFCC Cordwood Community House although I know it is there.What house was King's Church?Is it toward Abe Lowes homestead, or as far as Coleman Binion's?

Cemetery

Earl Williams (View posts)
Posted: 2 Dec 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Phillips, Williams
Is the cemetery you are asking about on Dry Branch Road behind the Habitat log house in Carter County. According to a cousin my Great Grandfather and Great Grandmother are buried there also. The Wesley Phillips buried there was a great uncle by marriage. His wife was Viola Williams daughter of Silas & Sinderilla Wilburn Williams. Viola was my fathers aunt.. We have a picture of the stone for Wesley and it shows his mothers name was Sarah. Wesley was shot coming out of a church called Kings Chapel. This building is now a house approximately a half mile from the site of the cemetery. Ironically he was shot by a Abe Lowe by mistake.

Cemetery

Earl Williams (View posts)
Posted: 3 Dec 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Lowe, Phillips, Williams

I'm sure we are referring to the same cemetery. This is across the road from the Barber residence where the King cemetery is located behind. Abe Lowe is buried at this location. My cousin Clyde Williams, son of Edward Williams, son of Silas Williams said that his father told him that our GGfather and GGmother were buried there. This would be the Silas Williams and Sinderilla Wilburn Williams. Also there is some speculation that our GGGfather and GGGmother are one of the others buried there. This would be James and Sarah Ruggles Williams. Wesley Phillips wife was Viola Williams sister to my Gfather John Breckenridge Williams,son of Silas. At this time we do know who the other graves may belong to. The house that was Kings Church is back toward Rt 64 and I believe it is the first house on the left going from the cemetery. It has been a year since we were there and trying to remember the layout is a little difficult.

cemetary

Barb Henson (View posts)
Posted: 5 Dec 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Williams, Phillips, Lowe
I'm going to try to explain and see if we aren't talking about different
graves.
Abe Lowes House is the big white farmhouse on the open land, it now belongs to Juanita Barber and her son lives there. Behind that house and up a big hill is a cemetary. Abe Lowe and my husbands grandfather Edgar Lowe and others are buried there. When we went up there with Red Jimmy Lowe he told us that up around the ridge is another cemetary but we didn't go on to it.
Our property is across Aden Road from Abe Lowe's house. It was just all wooded with no home, roads etc. We started building there 2 years ago. We had walked most of the land and never saw the cemetary until last week. Almost directly behind our new house and up a hill is the cemetary we found.It is not near as high up as the one behind Abe's (Barbers) house. There is one white tall tombstone with Wesleys name on it and then several natural rocks that are sort on broken into similar shapes marking other graves. None of the others have names on them, at least that I saw.The only evidense I see of a road is a real old remnant of a logging road.
But it is a whole different place than where Abe is. By the way the old road behind Barber's has been replaced by a brand new road by the County. I may be reading your letter wrong, butthought you were referring to the one behind the od Lowe homeplace. Let me know.I trid to email this to you a couple of days ago and got it bck but will try again.

PHILLIPS IN YOUR CEMETERY

Posted: 20 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 24 Jun 2001 2:15AM GMT
Surnames: PHILLIPS
I HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT THEODORE PHILLIPS AND HIS WIFE (A KING SISTER) ARE BURIED IN THE CEMETERY THAT USED TO BE BEHIND KINGS CHAPEL. IS THIS THE CEMETERY YOU ARE REFERRING TO? I HOPE SO. MY FAMILY IS FROM CARTER COUNTY, GRAHN TO BE EXACT. I KNOW WHERE ADEN ROAD IS, BUT I AM NOT FAMILIAR WITH WHERE KINGS CHAPEL WAS. MY MOTHER STILL LIVES IN GRAHN. THEODORE WOULD HAVE BEEN HER GRANDFATHER. HER MOTHER WAS PEARL PHILLIPS AND MY MOTHER'S NAME WAS BERTHA VANLANDINGHAM. CAN YOU GIVE ME ANY HELP? ARE THERE ANY RECORDS AT ALL? ANYTHING YOU CAN TELL ME WILL HELP. I HAVE ALSO BEEN TOLD THAT WESLEY WAS ONE OF THEODORE'S SONS, BUT HAVE NO PROOF. THANKS, JEANNE

Re: PHILLIPS IN YOUR CEMETERY

Posted: 24 Jan 2013 2:33AM GMT
I know this is a really old thread, but I'll give this a shot anyway. My Third Great Grandfather (William Dixon King) came to King's Chapel in the Grahn area 150 years ago and many of my ancestors are buried there. Just last summer we discovered and visited two unmarked cemeteries there. Theodore Phillips was the Husband of of Elisa King and in Wm D. King's final will and testament it states that he also married one of Elisas's sisters after she died during child birth as well, although I'm not sure which one. I would really like to visit the cemetery mentioned as well as I believe that other family members rest there. Thanks

Posted: 25 Jan 2013 12:41AM GMT
The cemetery is located in back of the two cordwood houses that was built by volunteers. I wotked on the houses for several years. Hope this helps you some. barb

Posted: 26 Jan 2014 3:47AM GMT
Barb can you please contact me?

Donna H.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions