Search for content in message boards

The Birches of Northern Va, Arlington, Alexandria, Falls Church

The Birches of Northern Va, Arlington, Alexandria, Falls Church

Posted: 29 Oct 2001 5:41PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am researching the Birch family, perhaps two different branches.

One that owned the farm where marymount University now sits in Arlington, owned by Caleb Birch, sold to Mary Hall.
Caleb had a sister Columbia Birch that married Robert Harrison, their daughter Frances Harrison married Basil Hall.
Basil's sister Mary Hall, bought Calebs farm to add to her own next door, and is buried with the Birches on the university grounds.

Annother is the family of Jacob Birch. He married a daughter, Frances "FANNIE" of Basil Hall and Frances Harrison. As cousins often married, this may be tha case.

Any Connections? This is all 1800s.

Re: The Birches of Northern Va, Arlington, Alexandria, Falls Church

Rex Thomas (View posts)
Posted: 29 Oct 2001 9:52PM GMT
Hi, John Birch (1680-1729) is my 7th Greatgrandfather and is the Greatgrandfather of Caleb. My Line is through Samuel Birch who would be Caleb's brother. I was born and raised in Arlington.

Posted: 30 Oct 2001 1:07AM GMT
I thought that Caleb's father's name was Samuel am I wrong ?
Have you ever been to their graves at Marymount?

Do you know of any connections with the Donaldsons of Cherrydale /Arlington?

Columbia Birch Harrison was my ancestor.

I grew up in Mclean, grandparents in Falls Church, went to Marymount grade school.

Did you know any of the Paynes ? Or Lees in Falls Church ?

Posted: 30 Oct 2001 1:11AM GMT
Surnames: Birch Payne Hall Febrey Putnam Twichell Prosise Chanel Harrison
E mail me at tiburonst.com I would like you to look at what I have on a chart on myfamily.com

Rex Thomas (View posts)
Posted: 30 Oct 2001 2:01AM GMT
Stephanie, Calebs father was Joseph Birch married to Janet Bowmaker Robertson. Caleb was married to Mary Bowling. He named his home "Birchwood". That home was built around 1836 on land inherited from his Grandfather James Robertson who owned vast amounts of land in the Alexandria/Arlington area. Do you have a copy of the book, "Arlington Heritage" by Eleanor Lee Templeman ? If not, you should try to get yourself a copy. It has a great deal of information on the Birch Family in it. I have one copy handed down to me from my Grandmother, but recently picked up an additional copy on ebay for $20.00. Stay in touch. Rex

Rex Thomas (View posts)
Posted: 30 Oct 2001 2:07AM GMT
OK, What is your email address?

Posted: 30 Oct 2001 2:48AM GMT

Posted: 30 Oct 2001 2:53AM GMT
I do have the book put away somewhere, and even spoke to Eleanor Templesman, once. That is annother story.

I just found out about the Bicrh farm next to Mary Hall's farm.

As a child I did see their gravestones, as I went to Marymount elementary and played in the wooded hill , next to the playgrond where they are buried. The stone were small and thin then in the 60s.

Steffy

Posted: 6 Jan 2002 7:05PM GMT
Edited: 10 Aug 2002 11:57AM GMT
Hi Stephanie... don't know if you remember me....we wrote back and forth early in my research about the Birch family. I just read your posting and subsequent postings between you and Rex Thomas. I was thrilled to see you mention Columbia Birch! I have been writing to a woman searching for Columbia Birch....married to a Harrison. She has an enormous amount of info on my Birch family not knowing if she was related....your posting has made that connection. Email me directly at rsites55@aol.com so I can share my info on Caleb and Samuel.
Roseann

Posted: 7 Jan 2002 10:52PM GMT
It is tiburonst@aol.com.

Steffy
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions