Search for content in message boards

West Derby Cemetery, Orleans County, VT

West Derby Cemetery, Orleans County, VT

Posted: 8 Aug 2011 6:45PM GMT
Classification: Cemetery
Edited: 9 Nov 2012 12:07PM GMT
Surnames: Church
A Civil War veteran, 15th Regiment, Company H, VV, Joshua Church died 1863 in Derby,VT. Vermont Stone manufactured the stone in 1897 and they list the location of grave marker as West Derby Cemetery. I am looking for the location of this cemetery before I make my trip to the area. Any help appreciated.

Re: West Derby Cemetery, Orleans County, VT

Posted: 9 Aug 2011 9:45AM GMT
Edited: 9 Nov 2012 12:07PM GMT
Hi Michael, hope this helps... most likely you've seen some of the links...

Here is a site provided by the VT GenWeb... excellant with GPS, Towns, & a big green map in the upper right hand corner so you can see the realtivity of the towns -west-east-.
http://www.nekg-vt.com/Cemeteries%20of%20VT/orleans.htm

If he mustered out as the entry here from Ancestry.com CW Soldier records state, "Mustered Out Company H, 15th Infantry Regiment Vermont on 5 Aug 1863 at Brattleboro, VT." he had a long trip home to Orleans county all the way to the Canadian boarder by the time he died on Sept 10, 1863.

Are other CHURCH family buried in any one cemetery? I did not find him on FindAGrave, but there are many other Church in Orleans county.

The Vermont Old Cemetery Assoc. may be able to help if no one here has an answer.
http://www.voca58.org/

Joshua Church is also found on this site, if you get a pic of his stone, you might consider supplying them with a copy! (search by soldier name)
http://vermontcivilwar.org/cem/cemetery.php

Posted: 7 Nov 2012 11:42PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 9 Nov 2012 12:08PM GMT
Did you locate this cemetery, because I am unable to lacate it.

Valerie

Posted: 8 Nov 2012 12:31AM GMT
Edited: 9 Nov 2012 12:08PM GMT
Haven't located West Derby Cemetery yet. The only reference I have is the U.S Government notation on the headstone invoice after the stone was produced at Vermont Marble. Thank you for your effort.

Posted: 9 Nov 2012 11:59AM GMT
Edited: 9 Nov 2012 12:09PM GMT
Seeing that you've not had a "local" response, perhaps a more appropriated board for you to querry would be Orleans County, VT.
http://boards.ancestry.com/localities.northam.usa.states.ver...

TIP: Word your Subject line to reflect a resident of Orleans County, -elsewise the board admin might transfer a Cemetery querry back here!!!
--just my 2cents worth... Sue

Posted: 10 Nov 2012 6:17AM GMT
It's possible that the cemetery has disappeared, but I think you are on the right track to be looking at one of the cemeteries in Newport. There are burials from the 1800's in this cemetery, but West Derby became part of Newport in 1917. I've been looking for a map that might help, and came up with this

http://www.livgenmi.com/1895/VT/County/orleans.htm

Someone familiar with the area today could probably make a comparison between this map and a current day map, and determine if the East Main Cemetery was originally in West Derby. It seems likely to me.

Hope this helps.

Lisa

Posted: 10 Nov 2012 2:39PM GMT
Hey Lisa, thanks for the reply! Yesterday (Fri the 9th) I spoke with the Newport Town Clerk. West Derby was the old name before being annexed to Newport (unofficial information).

Very graciously she did a look-up for me and called me back she said they have records back to 1857. Her search revealed there was no burial in East Street Cemetery.

She recommended that I call the Derby Town Clerk on Monday as they are closed on Friday.

I have the phone # and will do so and post any results here.

This man died 2 months, 10 days after returning from the Civil War and deserves research for his descendants.

Posted: 12 Nov 2012 5:15PM GMT
Good luck!

Let us know what you find out.

Lisa

Posted: 14 Nov 2012 12:24AM GMT
Michael:

The answer to your query about the location of the West Derby Cemetery. It is in fact what is now called the East Main Street cemetery in the city of Newport.

The City of Newport has a certified true copy of a vital record index card dated Dec 12, 1919 which shows East Main as the burial place for a Joshua Church.

In an aarlier post to one of your queries I gave you some research information, quite long. I probably should have wrote that all the cemeteries on the East side of the lake were, in there early days part of West Derby, Salem or Derby. The only one of the ten that I wrote about that was not in that area was the Holebrook cemetery often referred to as the Lake Road Cemetery, it is on the West side of the lake.

I also wrote that the list for those buried in East Main did not contain your Joshua for reasons stated. On Edit I think there was another individual who worked on that effort or is familiar enough with it to possible answer a question or two. That individaul is Ernestine Pepin, EMail erp@together.net or the contact may be made through the Memphremagog Historical Society.

Posted: 14 Nov 2012 2:09AM GMT
All help has been appreciated. I am closer to finding more about Joshua and his up line than ever before. If anyone obtains a visual on the gravestone and an image I can continue my research into my family line on the Church side. I plan to be in Vermont in the Spring.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic