Search for content in message boards

John McCartney - Jane Davidson

John McCartney - Jane Davidson

Posted: 5 Jan 2010 3:01AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McCartney, Davidson, Gaunt
I am seeking information on John McCartney. Based on the 1810 census, he was born between 1765 and 1784. He married Jane Davidson 10 Jan 1803 in Botetourt County. Their children are William, Mary, James, Charlotte, Martha, Andrew, Baker and John. John McCartney died ca 1815 and Jane later married a James Gaunt. I am especially interested in identifying John's parents and possible siblings.

Re: John McCartney - Jane Davidson

Posted: 26 Feb 2010 12:24AM GMT
Think I found your Jane Davidson. Theres a deed at the courthouse that mentions the 'deceased' William Davidson, Andrew Davidson, Jane Davidson, Jenny/Ginny (Jane?) McCartney, A B Davidson, Sally Davidson, Nash Pitzer (sp?), George L____man, John Pitzer (Pitzen?), Robert Davidson, and William Davidson (Jr?). Its dated 1815 (same year John died?).

The courthouse also has John and Jane's marriage bond (1/10/1803).

joniterp62@yahoo.com

Posted: 26 Feb 2010 1:59AM GMT
Yes, that's the right one. I believe William Sr. died ca 1812 and one of his daughters was married to John Pitzer. Do you happen to know if I can write the courthouse to obtain a copy?
Thanks.

Posted: 26 Feb 2010 9:14PM GMT
You may, I'm not sure how they opertate. If you wish, I could mail it to you if you email me an address to mail it to. Its gives names of husbands and wives, ect.

Posted: 10 May 2010 10:10PM GMT
The Ginny/Jane Davidson who married John McCartney was a daughter of William and Martha (Baker) Davidson. Another daughter named Charlotte Davidson married John Pitzer, Junior, and yet another daughter named Sarah "Sally" Davidson married a Robert Davidson who was from another/almost certainly unrelated (per a lot of research) Davidson family that lived in "next-door" Rockbridge Co., VA. There may have been one other living daughter when William Davidson wrote his will in Botetourt in 1812 (the wording is somewhat hard to interpret as to whether there were three or four living daughters at that time, but only Ginny was mentioned by name).

Note: The Thomas Davidson/Davison and his apparent son Thomas M. Davidson/Davison who were on the 1810, 1820 and/or 1830 Botetourt censuses were from yet another/unrelated Davidson/Davison family in Botetourt.

William and Martha (Baker) Davidson had sons named Baker Davidson (died around 1805; he married Elizabeth "Betsy" Womack), Reverend Andrew Baker Davidson (he married Susan Dorman), William Davidson, Junior (he married a Jinny Davidson who was a sister of the above-mentioned Robert Davidson from the other/unrelated family that lived over in Rockbridge Co., VA) and Joseph Davidson (died by 1814, and he apparently never married; Joseph was the only son who was mentioned by name in William Davidson's 1812 will).

Per some Botetourt tax lists in the 1780s, and per William Davidson's 1812 will, it appears that there was one other (and probably oldest) living son, and he may have been living in a different county by 1812. I have a lot of information on this Davidson family, if anyone is interested (but nothing on the McCartney family).

I was not aware of the referenced 1815 deed. I am not sure who the listed Andrew Davidson was, if he was truly a different man than A. B. (Andrew Baker) Davidson (but maybe he was the "missing oldest son" that I mentioned above). Ditto Jane Davidson, if she was truly a different woman than Jenny/Ginny (Davidson) McCartney. Does the deed refer to that Andrew Davidson and/or that Jane Davidson as being children of the deceased William Davidson? By the way, Mrs. Martha (Baker) Davidson died in 1829 in Botetourt, per a newspaper obit. Also, I suspect (albeit no "concrete proof") that the Captain William Davidson who also died in Botetourt in 1829 (a few months after Martha had died) was the above William Davidson, Junior who had married the apparently unrelated Jinny Davidson from Rockbridge Co., VA. Thanks!

Posted: 11 May 2010 1:46AM GMT
The document, dated 4 August 1815, names the heirs of William Davidson: Andrew B. Davidson and his wife Susanna; William Davidson and his wife Jane; Robin Davidson and his wife Sarah, all of Rockbridge County; John Pitzer, Jr. and his wife Charlotte; Jenny McCartney all of Botetourt County.
The property was sold to William Womack and was bounded by lands owned by John Shanklin and Joseph Gilliland.

From my research, it appears that John McCartney died ca 1815. Hence his name does not appear along with that of his wife in the deed. Also in 1815 William Davidson, Jr. was made guardian of the McCartney children.

Posted: 11 May 2010 3:47PM GMT
Thanks so much. This confirms the three known daughters of William and Martha (Baker) Davidson (Sarah "Sally," Charlotte and Ginny/Jane).

William and Martha's sons Baker Davidson and Joseph Davidson had both died before 1815, leaving Andrew Baker Davidson and William Davidson, Junior. If there was truly another fifth unknown "oldest" son, then that son was probably/apparently dead by 1815.

"Robin" (Robert) Davidson who married Sarah "Sally" Davidson was from that unrelated Davidson family that I mentioned in my earlier post (and William Davidson, Junior's wife Jinny/Jane Davidson was a sister of that Robert Davidson.....the parents of Robert Davidson and his sister Jane Davidson were John Davi(d)son (died in Rockbridge about 1802) and Mary Allison).

I did not know that William Davidson, Junior took-in the McCartney children. Based on that, PERHAPS the William Davidson shown below who was on the 1820 Rockbridge census at the age of 26-45 with a "bunch" of people in his home was him after all (I had thought that the William Davidson with all of those people was another/unrelated known man named William Davidson....but maybe that was not the case). The following shows that William Davidson's census information. Could several of these people have been members of the McCartney family? Note that there were 7 people in just the age range of 16-26 alone in the home in 1820!

William Davidson 112710 - 001100

Comments?

Posted: 11 May 2010 9:32PM GMT
I think it is possible that some of the McCartney males could have been part of the William Davidson, Jr. household. I did find a census record for Jane McCartney in Botetourt County in 1820 (201100-03010). All three daughters can be accounted for, but only 3 of her 5 sons. After the 1840 census I haven't been able to find a record of Jane.
Other than my husband's line (James), the McCartney male children have been especially difficult to trace. As far as I can tell, Mary McCartney never married, but according to the 1850 & 1860 censuses she lived with her sister Martha's family. Martha married Allen Biggs and remained in Virginia. Charlotte married James R. Tackitt and moved to Missouri.

Posted: 12 May 2010 12:24PM GMT
You may have some interest in the following.

Research shows that the William Davidson who married Martha Baker (the parents of Mrs. Jane (Davidson) McCartney and her siblings) was almost certainly from a branch of the Davidson family that is represented by DNA "Family 10" at www.davidsongenes.org (and I am also a member of DNA "Family 10"....but through a different branch of the family). I have traced this Davidson family back to the David and/or William Davidson who both died in James City Co., VA in 1687. That David Davidson left a "naturalization document" that was dated in 1686, and it showed that David was born in Holland. The "DNA signature" of this Davidson family shows that we have a "Viking heritage," so this Viking family probably settled into the area of Scotland and took the "Davidson" surname many centuries ago. Holland was the number one trading partner with Scotland in the 1600s, and many Scots lived in Holland as a result (and there is still an active Scottish Church in Holland today).

Note: I have no proof that the above David Davidson was definitely related to the William Davidson who also died in James City Co., VA 1687, but there is certainly a fairly good chance of that. David Davidson was married to a Sarah Unknown, and she MAY have been a Miss Hamblin or a Miss Hunt, based on the names of the two men who helped her with the estate after her husband David Davidson died in 1687.

It appears that the much later William Davidson who married Martha Baker (Martha lived in Prince Edward Co., VA before she married) was PROBABLY the William Davidson who was the apparent son of the David Davidson who died in Buckingham Co., VA around 1798. The 1764 Buckingham Co., VA tithe list showed that a male named William Davidson was living in the home of that David Davidson (and William was mentioned only because he was apparently old enough in 1764 to also owe a tithe of his own).

Mrs. Jane (Davidson) McCartney's brother William Davidson, Junior was the father of William Baker Davidson (who married Elizabeth Chapman Hunter). William Baker Davidson graduated from West Point, and he was a Captain who was killed by Indians on Christmas Day in Indian Key, Florida in 1840 during the Seminole Wars. Two of the sons of Captain William Baker Davidson were General John Wynn "Blackjack" Davidson (also a West Point graduate...John fought for the Union during the War Between the States) and Commander Hunter Davidson (a Naval Academy graduate...Hunter fought for the Confederacy). While still a Lt., Hunter Davidson was the onboard officer in charge of the armament on the ironclad "Merrimac" during its famous battle with the ironclad "Monitor" in 1862. You can "Goggle" Hunter Davidson and read about some of his exploits. Hunter was also a friend of James Whistler who painted "Whistler's Mother," and there is a letter (available online) from James Whistler to Hunter Davidson. Hunter Davidson moved to Paraguay after the war, and he started a second family down there. General John Wynn "Blackjack" Davidson was assigned to "control the Indians" in the western states after the war, and he died a few days after his horse slipped on ice and fell on him.

Thanks for the info that you posted, and I wish you the best of luck with your continuing research on the McCartney family.

Posted: 12 May 2010 1:44PM GMT
Thank you for sharing this information. I look forward to learning more about the William Davidson family.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions