Search for content in message boards

Emily Julia Pike of Carbonear

Emily Julia Pike of Carbonear

Frank (View posts)
Posted: 18 Jan 2004 5:37PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: King, Pike, White, Gullidge, Babstock, Lane
DOes anyone have any information or documentation on Emily Julia Pike born Jan 1st 1828 and died in Catalina in 1912? Her parents were most probably William and ELiza Ann Pike of Carbonear (Possible move to Muskitto). Is there anyone researching this family that may have some information to share?

Thank You
Frank

Re: Emily Julia Pike of Carbonear

Frank (View posts)
Posted: 18 Jan 2004 5:45PM GMT
I should have included this in the above, but she may have had the following siblings:

Hector WIlliam Bap 1820
Urban Thomas Bap 1820
Lewis George Bap 1820
Ardelina Bap 1824 Married James Gudger in Catalina
Richard George Bap 1828
Henrietta Born 1836
Lucretia Married James Stevens ( or William Stephenson) in 1844 in Catalina
Emily Julia Married Thomas King in 1849 in Little Catalina
There also may be a Dora and a Cephas that moved to the United States.

Thanks

Frank

Posted: 19 Jan 2004 4:29PM GMT
Edited: 25 May 2004 8:07PM GMT
Would someone know of an Eliza Pike who would have married Yves Lemoine circa late 1890's and who would have been deceased before 1911?

Eric Hillier (View posts)
Posted: 21 Jan 2004 3:40AM GMT
Here is a petiton that was filed in 1899 about the William
Pike family you refer to. The way I read it, Emily Pike
was the granddaughter of William, not his daughter:

William Pike Petition

To the Honorable the Supreme Court or to one of the Honorable the Judges thereof. The Petition of George Pike of Carbonear Laborer, Respectfully sheweth as follows: (1). William Pike Father of Petitioner died at Carbonear about forty years ago. (2). The said deceased left him surviving his Widow Eliza Ann since deceased and six children, namely Lucretia wife of William Stevenson both of whom have since died but left four children two of whom are now living at Catalina namely Robert and George the thereabouts of the other two are unknown to your Petitioner. Adeline married James Gudger now residing at Catalina, Jane wife of John Broderick both of whom have since died but left six children surviving them namely Lewis and Theodore now residing at Bay of Islands, and George, John, Joe and Bill now residing at Freshwater Carbonear, Henrietta now wife of Francis Taylor and residing on the south side of Carbonear, Lewis since deceased but left children surviving him namely Mark and Karnest(?) now residing at Carbonear, Cephas now in the United States of America, Dora wife of Robert Cave of St. John’s, Emily wife of Thomas King now residing at Catalina and your Petitioner. (3). The said deceased at the time of his death was possessed of property of the probable value of $200. (4) No probate of Will or Letter of Administration of the estate of said deceased have been previously applied for. Your Petitioner therefore prays that Letters of Administration of the estate of said deceased may be granted to him and as in duty bound will ever pray. DATED at St. John’s this 24th day of October A.D. 1899. his George X Pike mark WITNESS (The same having been first read over and explained) (signature too faint to read) Contributed by C. Haynes Dec. 2003

Frank (View posts)
Posted: 21 Jan 2004 8:36PM GMT
Thanks Eric for your reply.

Up until this petition appeared we have assumed that EMily was a daughter of Francis Pike, but it appears that she is the daughter of William based on these facts. William was born tentatively around 1783. We have baptism records for some of the children that closely matches what is written in the petition. We cannot find Baptism records for Lucretia, Emily Julia and a couple of others. We do know the exact date of Emily Julia's birth however. It is written on her Headstone January 1 1828. I was hoping that someone might be able to fill in those gaps. I do think the wording of the petition is confusing but after consideration I felt and still beleive that she is the daughter of William.

Regards,

Frank

Morley (View posts)
Posted: 21 Jan 2004 9:59PM GMT
I am related to this Pike and James Gudger/Goodyear from Catalina/ Carbonear/Harbour Grace area.

Posted: 9 Apr 2010 3:20PM GMT
Another one from me:
In your list of possible siblings for Julia none of the names match mine. I have a Benjamin James and a Francis Edward as her brothers. Also, parents are Mary Legg and Francis Pike. Have you discovered anything to confirm your info or mine?
Emily Julia Jane Emma was my gg grandmother.
Thanks!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic