Search for content in message boards

George Washington Spencer

George Washington Spencer

Posted: 25 May 2005 2:46AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Spencer & McDonald
I am looking for information on my Great Grandparents, George was born aprx. 1849 and died in Tyler, Hickory Co., Missouri.
His first wifes name was Nancy E. (McDonald) Spencer.
I have no information as to when she died.
You may contact me at godell16@hotmail.com

Gwen Spencer O'Dell

Re: George Washington Spencer

Posted: 25 May 2005 3:47AM GMT
Edited: 30 Jul 2005 3:47PM GMT
The updated Cemetery Directory of Hickory Co Mo lists in the Lehman Cemetery, located about one mile north of Elkton, a few hundred yards east of Hwy 83, George Washington Spencer b. 5 May 1850, d. 23 Feb 1934 and Della M. Spencer b. 8 July 1866, d. 8 August 1941. Also in same cemetery, Mary Spencer 1858-1942 and Ernest E. Spencer 1905-1981.

Gwen (Spencer) O'Dell (View posts)
Posted: 25 May 2005 2:33PM GMT
Surnames: Spencer / McDonald
Looking for information on Nancy Elizabeth McDonald Spencer. Married to George Washington Spencer. Born in 1850 in Missouri. Would like information on marriage date and date of death, cemetery location for Nancy.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted: 26 May 2005 6:50AM GMT
The existing marriage records start in 1872, most earlier records burned in court house fires. So their is no marriage record for Nancy Elizabeth McDonald and George Washington Spencer. The only two McDonald's listed in Hickory Co Cemetery Directory are Ann McDonald buried in Gregory Cemetery, no dates and L. Nip McDonald b. 19 Sept 1859, d. 9 Sept 1896 buried in Weaubleau Church Cemetery.

Posted: 26 May 2005 8:30AM GMT
Have you checked the cemetery records of Benton Co. Since George W. and Nancy E. are listed in the 1900 Benton Co-North Union Twp census, and George W. and Della M. are listed in the 1910 Benton Co-South Union Twp census, and Della has a child, Ernest E., age 4, you might think Nancy may have died about 1904-05.

jeff McDonald (View posts)
Posted: 27 May 2005 2:00AM GMT
Surnames: McDonald, Palmer, Ussery
Nancy E. (McDonald) Spencer died ca. 1904 and is buried in Mossy Cemetery in Benton Co. , I believe it is unmarked , don't know the exact date of death but based on George's remarriage to Della this would be approx. .
Nancy E. McDonald was b. in April 1850 , most likely in Bates Co., Mo. , as her family is enumerated there in 1850 census , father was John H. McDonald b. 1815 in IN. or NC. , died approx. 1862 Stone Co., Mo. (killed by Bushwackers) , Nancy's mother was Mary Palmer/Parmer b. 1827 Franklin Co., Oh. , died unkwn ( her parents were Richard Palmer b. (ca.) 1797 PA. , mother Nancy (unkwn) , b. (ca.) 1800 Va. .
Nancy E. McDonald had three brothers , Jonathan McDonald b. (ca.) 1847 MO. , Richard J. McDonald , b. (ca.) 1852 MO. , Thomas Benton McDonald b. Mar. 1860 MO. and one sister , Sarah E. McDonald b. (ca.) 1857 MO. (may have married a Wm. Cooper , but unproven) , no further info. on Jonathan and Richard McDonald , disappeared after 1860 Stone Co., MO. census and lost track of mother , Mary , sold the last parcel of her Homestead approx. 1890 ? , brother Thomas mar. Josephine Ussery 1887 in Marshall, Saline Co., MO. , died 1938 in Afton, Union Co., IA. .
This is about all I have to offer , have been researching this family for about 15 yrs. as Thomas Benton McDonald was my g.grandfather , hard family to find info. on and can't get Nancy's father , John H. McDonald back into NC , but am still trying , have some info. that may tie him to the Cumberland Co., NC area but no records as yet !
Hope this helps a little !
Jeff McDonald

Gwen (Spencer) O'Dell (View posts)
Posted: 27 May 2005 2:57AM GMT
Surnames: Spencer / McDonald
Thank you so much for your information. I have been working on this off and on for the last ten years.
My Grandfather was Anthony Lycurcus Spencer, son of George and Nancy.
I found the 1850 census with John, Mary, Johnathan and Nancy on it. Bates County, in Missouri.
Again thank you so much for your information.
Gwen

James Spencer (View posts)
Posted: 29 Nov 2005 7:33PM GMT
Surnames: Spencer
Gwen:

Have you been able to trace the family line back before George's father (James)?

I can't seem to get anywhere before him. And have little/no information on James. When/where he was born. When/where he died.

Strange thing is that different census information has George being born in different states.

Another interesting fact is that there is a census from the St. Louis area showing a man named James Spencer with a son named George -- both born in England, with George being born in 1849.

Posted: 30 Jun 2008 6:33PM GMT
I just photographed Lehman Cemetery on Sunday
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions