Search for content in message boards

Bedford of Beaver Island, MI

Bedford of Beaver Island, MI

Posted: 1 Apr 2001 3:36PM GMT
Edited: 24 Jun 2001 3:15AM GMT
I am looking for info regarding the family of Thomas Bedford of Beaver Island in MI.

Re: Bedford of Beaver Island, MI

Posted: 14 Aug 2001 4:37AM GMT
Edited: 5 Feb 2002 9:28PM GMT
Surnames: Bedford and Miller
HI, I have some limited information on the family of Thomas Bedford. Thomas Bedford was married to Ruth Miller who came to the Island with her father George Miller who was a respected elder with the Mormons. Ruth's brother, Harrison "Tip" Miller was the Lighthouse Keeper for a period of years. Of course, Thomas Bedford acheived fame by assassinating Strang. Thomas and Ruth had three children
1. Julia Bedford married Lance Campbell, they had one son, William. William married Una Cram. After Lance Campbell passed away, Julia married Mr. Cram - the father of her daughter-in-law. They lived in Charlevoix. Julia died in 1944
2. Harrison Bedford married Minnie Cooper in Charlevoix. They had two children, Mattie and Harold. Mattie married Dr. Barney from Charlevoix. Harold married a girl from Grand Rapids. Harold and his wife had two children, a girl and a boy. The boy was killed in an auto accident when he was about 18. Minnie died 1945 a few years after Harrison.
3. Edward Bedford had two children Ruth and Ollie. His home was in Frankfort. He took Tip Miller's place at the Pointe Betsie Life Saving Station. Hope this information is helpful. I am a descendent of Tip Miller - Ruth Bedford's brother. Is our lineage connected?

Posted: 14 Aug 2001 4:47PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Bedford, Garvin
Hi Theresa,
Thank you so much for all the info! Edward's daughter Ruth Bedford was married to John Francis Garvin of Mt Pleasant MI. Their son Edwin was my husband's grandfather. He died in an auto accident when his kids were little. I think there may be photos of some of these people that I have seen. If you would like to swap info, please e-mail me.

Posted: 3 May 2010 2:50AM GMT
Edited: 4 May 2010 6:02PM GMT
Surnames: bedford, miller, harkins
I see you are related to harrison tip miller.He was married to Bridget harkins born 1843 in Donegal Ireland Maried tip 1859 died 1930. Does this sound right? I'm related to Thomas Bedford and Ruth ann Miller.They also had a son James born 1861.Related Julia-Alanson Lansing Campbell-son-William and Una Cram-daughter Winifred and George House-son William A House and Jewell Seaman-daughter -myself Veronica Elzinga. I have left out alot more people and have alot of old pictures of Millers (ty) Highpockets Bert and June Fields six people in Frankfort.My parents had a velvet photo album and some other things from Thos Bedford11 sold them to Clarke HistoricalCollecton at Central Michigan Univerity Well write me back love to share thesephotos with you. Elzingaocala@aol.com

Posted: 28 Jul 2010 11:00PM GMT
Surnames: Campbell Bedford Campbell Beers Ingalls Cram
Hi. I am doing research on Lennie Beers Ingalls Campbell, who married Ben Campbell, brother of Alanson. Julia Bedford Campbell's son William married Una Cram, and their daughter, Winnifred, married Lennie & Ben's son Philo Beers Campbell.

I would love to have copies of any pictures you have of the families, or of anyone from the Undine settlement (Crams, for example).

Raechel Wright
Charlevoix County History Preservation Society

Posted: 28 Jul 2010 11:06PM GMT
BTW, Winnifred Campbell had 3 husbands. George House (Detroit), Philo Beers Campbell (Charlevoix), and then ? Schultz (Traverse City). We know about Mr. Schultz through her grandmother, Julia's, obit. The marriage to Philo Beers Campbell, her father's cousin, must have ended in divorce or annulment -- both he & she remarried a few years later.

Posted: 5 Apr 2011 1:22AM GMT
Hello Rachael,

My Chase family was one of the families that came to the Island from Wisconsin and New York with Jesse Strange and the "Strangites". I was curious if you have any pictures of the Strangite settlement of Beaver Island. Such an interesting story about all that happened on Beaver Island back in those days.

Jeri Cooper DeVries
Grand Rapids, MI

Posted: 5 Apr 2011 1:55AM GMT
Hi.

I think the best possibility for pictures of the Mormon colony on Beaver Island is Bill Cashman, president of the Beaver Island Historical Society. Google the organization for contact info.

Raechel

Posted: 5 Apr 2011 2:51AM GMT
Thank-you!!!

Posted: 17 Jul 2011 3:10AM GMT
I am Thomas Bedford of Higgins Lake and Frankfort Mi.-great-great grandson of Thomas of Beaver Island--just attended Dora Bedfords memorial in Frankfort--99yr.--Ollies daughter--my fathers sister. Are you a Garvin?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions