Search for content in message boards

William/Bill Tolson/Toalson of Virginia, Kentucky, and Missouri

William/Bill Tolson/Toalson of Virginia, Kentucky, and Missouri

Posted: 27 May 2003 12:59PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Stevens, Tolson, Crowley, Carothers, Armstrong, Floyd, Todd, Morris, Walker
I'm completely stuck on this one.

My ancestor is William Tolson, born in Stafford County, Virginia in 1781. His family moved to Kentucky when he was a child. He married Ellen Mary Brown (daughter of John Brown) in Madison County, Kentucky, and they moved to Columbia, Boone County, Missouri. His children from this marriage were John (b. 1816). Joseph (b. 1817), and Thomas (b. 1820). When Ellen died, William returned to Kentucky and married Ellen's sister Micha Brown. His children from this marriage were Margaret (b. 1826), Elijah (b. 1830), Joseph (b. 1836), and William Henry Harrison Tolson (b. 1838). William Tolson died in Boone County in 1841.

These facts are well documented, but I still have no idea who William's parents were. I've followed many dead ends, and I'm still stuck. We all have our great genealogical mysteries -- this is mine. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Connie Hilker
Fredericksburg, Virginia

Re: William/Bill Tolson/Toalson of Virginia, Kentucky, and Missouri

Posted: 14 Jun 2003 7:14AM GMT
William Toalson (Tolson) born 1781 was my 5th great grandfather. My information is a little different but still appears to be the same family. I have that he had 5 children with my 5th great grandmother, Mitcha. William's parents were Thomas Toalson (Tolson) born in 1766 and Sarah Marchment born in 1770 both in Stafford County Virginia. I have more info if you are interested! You can email me directly at darner234@aol.com

Alice's Daughter, Tammy Young

Posted: 16 Jun 2003 2:17PM GMT
I'm corresponding with Tammy, and I'm posting this here so anyone who reads this Board can have the benefit of our conversations.

I know that the William Tolson I am researching was born in 1781. If the dates of birth for Thomas and Sarah Tolson are correct, there is just no way that they are my William's parents. Thomas would have been 15 and Sarah would have been 11 when William was born. They may be the parents of 'a' William Tolson, just not the ones I'm looking for.

There are so many Tolsons, and there are so many names used over and over, that it is extremely difficult to zero in on whether or not the 'Thomas Tolson' I'm looking at is the correct one. It seems like every Tolson family had a Thomas (and a George, William, John, James, and Benjamin.) Combine this with the spotty records in Stafford County, Virginia, (thanks to the Union army, among other factors), and you have the makings of a really difficult genealogical challenge.

Does anyone have anything that can help?

Thanks,
Connie Hilker

Posted: 28 Dec 2003 9:09PM GMT
Surnames: lyons, tolson, wince
i've seen your message on tolson---Do you have in yourfile anything on a sarah tolson and a robert lyons of either fauquier, or prince william cty. va. circa 1790-1830. I'm also interested in a sarah lyons living with jesse wickersham in the 1850 census of ky.( she was 70 yrs old).
email at -- geewhizbob@surfbest.net
bob lyons

Posted: 12 Dec 2004 5:32PM GMT
connie i see your old request on the tolson family (william) and was hoping he may be related to amSarah Tolson that married my ggggrandfather Benjamin T. Lyons sometime in 1810's in virginia. May we discuss the possibilities?
Email at- bobdar@iowatelecom.net-
Bob lyons
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions