Search for content in message boards

Issac Dumont De Bostaquet's descendents in VA/ NC ?

Issac Dumont De Bostaquet's descendents in VA/ NC ?

Posted: 12 Sep 2011 1:43AM GMT
Classification: Query
He was a Huguenot was born near Rouen, France, in 1632, left and died in Portarlington, Ireland, in 1709. Family said his descendents were in VA under the name of Baskett. Then Ruth Baskett went to NC married a Teague and then John Marley Jones.

A grandfather told his daughter before he died about 1934/6 that there was a French connection. A book written and a newspaper article both stated that there was that same connection. Both written in the mid 1930's.

Am looking for more information about this connection.

Re: Issac Dumont De Bostaquet's descendents in VA/ NC ?

Posted: 29 Oct 2012 10:34PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Baskett and Bostaqet
Thomas Baskett was a Huguenot and one of the founders of Manakin, Virginia. He was a Bostaquet and I believe his mother or Grandmother was Anne. It could be possible a relative might have made it to the colonies prior to his arrival.

He made it to the colonies after Isaac had passed away in Ireland. I don't believe he ever lived in Ireland, even though there is a connection between some Hugonauts settling from there. Most of the family in France was under house arrest of sorts by the French King for their failed escape to England. He might have escaped into Holland from France or his freedom was "purchased" it is unclear. Two of his unnamed sons were missing at some point after Issac left France. Due to the family treatment by France and Loyalties to William of Orange they dropped the French surname and adopted its English version. It is possible those in England are related because they were both of Norman heritage.

My Grandmother, Dorothy Gilmore, had some research and books on the subject in her library that I stumbled upon years ago that I pulled this together from. I would love to find them again but fear they are lost. I wish I had something more concrete to give you at this time.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions