Search for content in message boards

Elizabeth Mary Cochrane Findley d/o John

Elizabeth Mary Cochrane Findley d/o John

Donella Spencer (View posts)
Posted: 19 Mar 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: COCHRAN, COCHRANE, BAIRD, FINDLEY
Looking for other researchers of this line. Eliz. (Mary) COCHRAN(E) was b. in Waynesboro, Franklin Co. PA. Her father was John COCHRAN, and I've been told but not confirmed that her mother's maiden name was BAIRD. She married the Hon. Wm. FINDLEY on 21 Mar 1769; she was his second wife and the mother of his children. She died in 1797, and is buried in Unity, Westmoreland Co, PA. Wm FINDLEY remarried. I'd like to contact other researchers, who might be able to point me towards hard data on this line, such as wills, land deeds, etc., (if they exist).

Thanks so much!

Donella Spencer (View posts)
Posted: 15 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: FINDLEY, COCHRAN, BAIRD
I am sharing this info w/ other researchers of this line!
Thanks again!

Cochran family of Franklin County

Posted: 15 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 26 Jun 2001 11:24PM GMT
Surnames: COCHRAN
The following is from a book called Frederick County Backgrounds. This contains the information on Baird to Cochran. I'm also seeking additional information on this family.

COCHRAN

William Cochran, 1699-1785, the emigrant ancestor of the Cochran family settled in what is Delaware County, Pennsylvania, but in 1732 bought a tract of land in the ‘Manor of Carrollsburgh’ (“Carroll’s Delight”_ from Daniel Carroll of Dudington. When the hundred-year border dispute between Pennsylvania and Maryland was finally settled by the Mason and Dixon Line, Cochran’s tract was in Liberty Twp., Adams County, Pennsylvania. He build a stone house in 1768 and in times of unrest and danger, particularly from the Indians, this Cochran home was used by the settlers in this locality as a place of refuge and served as a blockhouse as well.

William Cochran married Sarah Cochran, 1702-1785. They were both buried at Tom’s Creek Presbyterian Cemetery near Emmitsburg. The inscription from their tombstone reads: “Here Lyeth interred the bodies of William Cochran Who Departed this life December The 18th 1775, in the 78th year of His Age Also The body of Sarah Cochran The Wife of the above named Who departed this Life February 6th in the Year of our Lord 1785 In the 83rd year of her Age. Time was like me, the life possessed. And time shall be, when I shall rest.”

They were the parents of:
1. Andrew Cochran
2. 2. William Cochran, m. Rebecca Morrow (? May be the son of James}
3. 3. James Cochran, 1732-1810, m Jane Cochran, 1742-1815. This branch of the family remained at Carrollsburgh.
4. 4. John Cochran settled on the site of present day Waynesboro, Pennsylvania
5. – James Cochran, 1732-1810, s/o William and Sarah Cochran.

He lived on the family plantation in Liberty Twp., and was known as “James of Carrolsburgh’/ He married Jane Cochran, 1742, -1815. Children: -
1. William Cochran, b 1775, m 6/26/1805, Rebecca Morrow, 1779-1838, d/o John Morrow. They moved to Miami Co., Ohio.
2. 2. Malinda Cochran
3. 3. James Cochran

- John Cochran, s/o William and Sarah Cochran, m Eleanor Baird. Eleanor died 2/28/1791, aged 74 years, and was buried at the Cochran Family burial ground at Waynesboro, Pa.

Children:0
1. John Cochran
2. 2. Jean Cochran Clark, m James Clark.
3. 3. Eleanor Cochran Junkin, m Joseph Junkin
4. 4. Mary Cochran Findley, M William Findley

John Cochran was a devout Covenanter, the Straightest and strictest sect among the Presbyterians. Their home was a ‘regular stop’ for the Rev. John Cuthebertson on his missionary journeys. Rev. Cuthbertson’s diary mentions John Cochran and his family many times during the period from 1751 to 1790. John Cochran was a pious and outstanding man- a pillar of the church. There is a story told of ‘old John Cochran’ and his strict observance of the Sabbath. It is said that the entire family often walked over the South Mountain on Sunday mornings to Marsh Creek (probably the Hill Church) for worship. The trip covered at least ten miles and the service lasted several hours. Doubtless they had to start early in the morning and would not reach home again until late in the evening. So strict was John in the observance of the Sabbath that his children were not permitted to pick huckleberries from the laden bushes as they passed.

According to the family tradition it was the custom of ‘old John Cochran’ to sit under the shade of a large walnut tr5ee that stood beside the little family graveyard and read his bible. He was often heard to say that he wished to be interred beneath this tree. As he requested his body was buried beneath the tree’s spreading branches.

Baird/Cochran/Findley

Posted: 19 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 6 Sep 2003 3:45PM GMT
Surnames: BAIRD, COCHRAN, FINDLEY, PATTERSON, WELLS, LAYTON
Thanks for this information, Kim. I'm one of the Findley/Cochran descendants that Donella mentioned in her post. Could you please give a complete citation for the Franklin Co., PA book with this information, with date published, where, pub. company, page, etc. This is a very nice find! A couple months ago at the Hathorn Reunion in Warwick (Orange) NY, we noticed that one of the oldest structures standing was the Baird Tavern, built by Francis Baird in the 1760's. A book on the Baird family has been written, possibly available through the Orange Co. Historical Society. Do you think this may be our Baird line, too?

Children of William Cochran, d 1785

Posted: 16 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 24 Jul 2001 7:24PM GMT
Surnames: COCHRAN, MOORE
Just noticed this old posting when checking for some of my Vance lines. The story above is great but there are some discrepencies and it leaves out the ladies! In addition to the sons there were three daughters. Here is a full list of known descendents as compiled by several Cochran researchers:
1. Andrew (a1741-a 8-21-1781 Hanover Twp, York County, PA) married a1766 Margaret McKesson, daughter of Alexander McKesson and Mary ___. Margaret married (2) Patrick Reed. Andrew died without issue – his will names his nieces and nephews Mary, daughter of James; Mary daughter of John and Andrew son of John.
2. James (7-8-1732 – 12 –8-1810 Carrollsburg) married Jane Walker (11-14-1742 – 1-4- 1815). Their children: Sarah (1763-1786), Mary (1769-1826) married Robert Annan, Jr,William (1775-1828) married 1805 to Rebecca Morrow, and James (1780-1851) married (1)___ Black and (2) _____.
3. William Jr (a1741-p1793) married Margaret Scott, daughter of William. Their children: Sarah, William and Mary.
4. Sarah (c1734-1809 Brown County, OH) married Robert Moore Jr, son of Robert Moore and his second wife Jean___. Their children: William killed in Revolutionary War, Robert (1756-p1833), Andrew (1758-1845) married Elizabeth Shepherd, James (1760-1839) married Elizabeth Buchanan, Samuel who lived in Brown County, OH, Rachel married George Willet and lived in Brown County, Moses (d 1852) married Elizabeth Glendenning, John d 1821 (WV) married (1) ___ Marshall and (2) Jane Williamson; Jane who married George Baird, Susannah married John Findley, William (second of the name) married Keziah Baldwin, Margaret married Abraham Shepherd and Sarah who died young.
5. Margaret (d 10-13-1793 Philadelphia, PA) married Rev Robert Annan (1742 Scotland – 1819 York County, PA) Their children: Robert Landales (1765-1827 Emmitsburg, MD) married Mary Cochran (1769-1826) and William (1767-1797 Philadelphia) married Jennet Schuyler.
6. Jane/ Jennet (c1736-1740 – p 1794) married (1) James Moore (c1731-1777 Battle of Brandywine) . Their children from York County PA Orphan Court Records: Robert, William Cochran, John (1761-1856) married Rebecca Currin and moved to Juniata County, James (1768-c1855 Hamilton County, OH) married Jane ___, Sarah (c1765-c1845 Guernsey County, OH)married (1) William Vance Jr and (2) his brother Ezekial Vance, and Jennet who married John Morrison of Frederick County, MD. Jane born c1736 married (2) William Shakely – no issue.[Jane Cochran, wife of James Moore is my line.cks]
7. John (c1743-a1784 Hamiltonban Twp, York County, PA) married Sarah Miller. Childrer: William (c1768) married Margaret McClief and moved to KY, Andrew 92-2-1769-1814 Adams County, OH) married Jane Barker, James 1774, Mary married James Curry and moved to Adams County, OH, John b c 1779 married Ellen McArmot and died in Marietta OH, Oliver c 1782 lived in Marietta in 1815.
The tombstones of William and Sarah are still in good condition, but they have been moved from Adams County, PA to just over the line in Frederick County MD. The cemetery can be seen on the east side of US 15, northeast of Emmitsburg.

Re: Children of William Cochran, d 1785

Gayle Hathorne (View posts)
Posted: 12 Aug 2001 4:53PM GMT
Surnames: COCHRAN, BAIRD, FINDLEY, PATTERSON, WELLS, FRAZEE, LAYTON, HUSCHER
Carolyn, I'm missing the connection here of my John Cochran, son of William and Sarah. I did not see mention of his BAIRD marriage, nor their daughter Mary, who married Hon. William FINDLEY. Can you please help?

Charlene Smitson (View posts)
Posted: 18 Jan 2002 4:23PM GMT
Carolyn,
Do you have any info.on a Isaac Cochran, born abt. 1767-77 in I believe Pennsylvania ? He went to Bracken Co. Kentucky around 1797. He married Mary (Polly) McDaniel, daughter of Mack McDaniel, in Bracken Co. Ky on 24,Oct.1797. He then moved to Brown Co. Ohio around 1800. Isaac and Mary Cochran's children were John, Elizabeth,Lucinda,Priscilla,and Phebe. There is a Nathaniel Cochran that always seems to appear living close to Isaac Cochran in all of the Census for Brown Co. Ohio, and a Nathaniel Cochran was present at the marriage of one of Isaac Cochran's daughters, Phebe. I don't know how Nathaniel and Isaac are related, but I'm sure they are. Have been trying for years to find the line that Isaac came from and your's sounds the closest so far. Hope you can help me on this one, because I've gotten nowhere so far.
Thank You Charlene Smitson

Rene'e Pollock (View posts)
Posted: 9 Jan 2003 4:57AM GMT
I am the ggggg-grandaughter of Margaret Cochran and Rev. Robert Annan by way of William Annan D.D. and Jennet Schuyler, who had Margaret Annan soon after the father, William, died.

I have been looking for information on this tree for some time. Your info agrees with what I have. Would you be willing to share the whereabouts of the documentation for this family? I like to keep a hard cpoy for my files. If you are interested in this family, maybe we could share information.

Do you have anything further back than William Cochran and Sarah? What was her surname? Where were they from? Did you find listing of them in some printed source?

I look forward to exchanging information and await your reply. I can't tell how excited I am... but then I guess you really DO know! Thank you in advance.

Re: Baird/Cochran/Findley

Posted: 4 Apr 2008 1:51AM GMT
I am looking for the parents of several Baird brothers who left Franklin County about 1760-70 and came to Westmoreland County PA. James (b. 1742); Charles; William (1760); John; Samuel and Thomas. Cannot find them in any of the Baird "books". James founded Bairdstown, PA. He married Jane McKean and Jane Montgomery, also of Franklin County. Any connections with your Bairds or knowledge of these brothers?

Re: Baird/Cochran/Findley

Posted: 9 Mar 2011 5:32AM GMT
I know these Bairds very well. The founder of BAirdstown was the father of Samuel Baird who married Sussana Trimble and was the father of the man I most closely identify in the Baird lineages as he was the father of my GGGfather, John J. Baird who died from CW injuries. He had multiple siblings that I am trying to trace out. I just joined ancestory as I am now retired and again pursuing my lineage. I will be entering more stuff as I get time--right now I have almost nothing entered. John Baird
baird2222@netscape.net
per page

Find a board about a specific topic