Search for content in message boards

William I Hutchinson B. 1860 Auburn NY

William I Hutchinson B. 1860 Auburn NY

Posted: 11 May 2011 4:59PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hutchinson
Through a strange twist of fate I have four notebooks with family history on William I. Hutchinson - Son of John James Hutchinson and Helen Mariah Pitcher of Auburn NY.

These documents were found in the former residence of Lillian F. Hutchinson in Citrus Springs, FL. They were behind a large box. My wife's step-grandfather bought the house and held on to these hoping that someone would contact him looking for them.

I would really like to get this information to someone in the family.

Please reply to this message.
Attachments:

Re: William I Hutchinson B. 1860 Auburn NY

Posted: 12 May 2011 2:39PM GMT
Surnames: Hutchinson, Pitcher
A quick search of the 1870 & 1880 Census images for Auburn, NY show William, son of James & Ellen, born about 1861. I assume this is the same person. Both of William's parents came from Ireland.

They are not in my Hutchinson line (as far as I can tell), but wanted to pass this info on in case it may ring a bell with others.

Posted: 13 May 2011 9:28AM GMT
Hi David,

Thank you for doing that look-up. I was just about to do it myself (5 am MA). What I did, first, was to find out where Auburn, NY, was. I see it is very near the Great Lakes and the Erie Canal, so it is Western NY State.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auburn,_New_York

One reason I was going to look it up was to see if it was anywhere near NYC. My ancestor, Jacob Homer HUTCHINSON, of the large HUTCHINSON Farm in Winchester, MA, had 3 siblings move to Brooklyn, NY, ~1850's. I don't remember the details at this moment, so I can't remember whether they had children born in NY. They definitely had grandchildren born in NYC, but that would have been a little later.

Betty (near Lowell, MA)

(For others, Jacob was descended from the patriarch, George HUTCHINSON, arriving in MA Bay Colony in 1630.)

(I had to be away from genealogy for 6 mos. because of my husband's serious illness and recovery. I'm trying to get back into it now.)

Posted: 13 May 2011 9:33AM GMT
Hello,

I love reading stories about "great finds" and "strange twists of fate." I wish I had more of them.

And, I sincerely wish someone could find a box of old papers and especially old photos - which would have belonged to my ancestor's older brother, John HUTCHINSON. He and his 2 married sisters left MA and moved to Brooklyn, NY, ~1850. And, my hunch is that they took many of the paperwork and photos from the large farm in Winchester, MA, with them. I just can't find any descendant of theirs.

Betty (near Lowell, MA)

Posted: 13 May 2011 10:03AM GMT
Hi again,

Out of curiousity, I looked at the 1860 census and found 2 HUTCHINSON families in Auburn, NY. This is one of them:

HUTCHINSON, EDWIN (1860 U.S. Census)
NEW YORK , CAYUGA, 2-WD AUBURN
Series: M653 Roll: 727 Page: 427

He and his wife, Patricia, either have an extended-family with them or have a boarding house. There are several people with them with different surnames. The only 2 with their name are children, Garry and Ida. Please note Edwin was born in Rhode Island.

Here is another family:

HUTCHINSON, CHARLES B (1860 U.S. Census)
Series: M653 Roll: 727 Page: 409

He and his wife, Mary, had 4 children, and seem to have his mother living with them.

There is also this young couple with a baby:

HUTCHINSON, DANIEL J (1860 U.S. Census)
Series: M653 Roll: 727 Page: 381

There were ~340 people with the HUTCHINSON name in NY State in 1860. Some in almost every county, and 18 in Cayuga County.

I checked the 1870 census, and the page I'm looking at shows James HUTCHINSON as being born in NY:

HUTCHINSON, JAMES (1870 U.S. Census)
NEW YORK , CAYUGA, 4-WD AUBURN
Series: M593 Roll: 910 Page: 152

There seems to be 4 HUTCHINSON couples / families living beside each other in Venice, NY, possibly parents and married children, all being farmers:

HUTCHINSON, JOHN (1870 U.S. Census)
NEW YORK , CAYUGA, VENICE
Series: M593 Roll: 911 Page: 741

Back to 1860, there is this family. The handwriting is hard to read, but I think he has a baby son, William.

HUTCHINSON, WILLIAM (1860 U.S. Census)
NEW YORK , CAYUGA, VENICE
Series: M653 Roll: 729 Page: 902

That's all I can offer this morning.

Betty (near Lowell, MA)

P.S. Venice, NY, is just south of Auburn, NY:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venice,_New_York

Posted: 13 May 2011 8:13PM GMT
Surnames: Hutchinson, Noble, Rush, Bundy,Burns, Nation, Cook, Payne
My husband had a Lillian Hutchinson in his family. Are there any
> other names or places listed? The Hutchinson line I'm from (William
> Charles
> Hutchinson) came from Mo and migrated to Paso Robles, CA area and then
> to San Leandro, CA area. Thank You, Sandy
>
>

Posted: 13 May 2011 10:48PM GMT
Lillian Hutchinson was the owner of this research. There is an envelope in one of the books addressed to her, in Citrus Springs, FL. The letter is from the Metropolitan Museum of Art, NYC. Postmark is 27 June 1990. Enclosed is a letter:

Dear Miss Hutchinson:
We enclosed four xeroz illustrations of U.S. Army uniforms of the Spanish-Ameerican War Period. The were taken from (Source).

I guess I will need to go through this material a little better to pull out all the names and info that it has.

I will say that I just ran across a copy of the certificate where a PFC ROBERT HUTCHINSON, US Army was awarded the BRONZE STAR for service in WWII, it was awarded on 15 JUNE 1984.

Like I said, Hutchinson Family readers, give me a few days to go through all this stuff. There are pedigree charts which I can scan and post which will help everyone figure out if any of these guys are yours.

I will leave you with this from the first page:

"In 1891, Theresia Ludwina Wex, age 20, traveled from her home in Munic Germany by steamship to New York, United States of America. She was to spend her 21st year with her brother Franz Wex, at his home in Newark, New Jersey. Theresia had a one year Visitors Pasport. During that year she met WILLIAM I. HUTCHINSON."
"Theresia and William were married 5th September 1892. Marriage certificate signed by the Clerk of the Court, Newark, New Jersey."

This is page on of what is labeled as "Vol I SET I William I. Hutchinson Series".

I'll work as fast as I can, because I know that someone reading this right now is getting very excited.

John Huoni

By the way, in return for this information I sure would like to have some information on my family - Surcasti, CH prior to 1845. Doesn't hurt to try!

Posted: 17 May 2011 3:46AM GMT
I don't have any family history, but do have an ancestor John HUTCHINSON who lived in NYC area about that time.

Do you have any idea how old John Hutchinson would have been? My great-grandfather is John Hutchinson who served during the Civil War with first a NY infantry unit and later with a NY cavalry unit.

He returned to NYC area after the war and married a Quaker woman he met in Waterford, Virginia.

I've never been able to connect him to anyone prior to his Civil War service.

Neal

Posted: 17 May 2011 1:18PM GMT
Hi Neal,

I had to go back to my old postings to find the approx. birth year of my John B. HUTCHINSON. It would have been ~1815 near Boston, MA. He was the oldest of 6 siblings.

He and 2 married sisters left MA and moved to Brooklyn, NY, ~1860. John's 2 or 3 children would have been born in MA during 1840's, so they were older teens or young adults when arriving in NYC.

Now that you have mentioned the Civil War, you just jogged my memory. I don't remember if I have found out if these 3 brothers fought in the Civil War. I think my ancestor, Jacob, b~1818, did not, but not sure at all.

The family historian in the family was Thomas HUTCHINSON, son of the brother of John and Jacob, Thomas HUTCHINSON. I have some papers of his which are mostly about the history of their large farm. I don't remember that he mentioned the family members being soldiers in any war.

My John is in the 1870 and 1880 census pages for Brooklyn, NY.

FYI:

http://genforum.genealogy.com/cgi-bin/pageload.cgi?Wincheste...

Betty (near Lowell, MA)

Posted: 24 Apr 2012 1:42PM GMT
Hi

Just saw this from last year. Wm. I. Hutchinson was my greatgrandfather. He was born in Auburn, NY and James and Helen were his parents. I know this is late but would love to here (or see) what you have found. Hoping you're still monitoring this board. Thanks.

Joe McDonough
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions