Search for content in message boards

Any "New Coeln" (Milwaukee Co.) historians out there?

Any "New Coeln" (Milwaukee Co.) historians out there?

Posted: 13 Aug 2003 6:32PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 21 May 2011 12:11PM GMT
Is any reader aware of a local historian or collection of information with information on the unincorporated village of what was New Coeln? This was located in the business area that is at the south edge of Mitchell airport and Howell Ave. Remnants of the area include St. Stephens Catholic church, and a restaurant. The township was Town of Lake prior to annexation by the surrounding communities.

I have looked, but not found published materials in Milwaukee area collections (like MPL, Milw. Co. Hist. Soc., UWM A.R.C.), just references in a variety of records that are part of my family research.

Thanks for any leads on this research query.

Gary Rebholz

Re: Any "New Coeln" (Milwaukee Co.) historians out there?

Posted: 30 Aug 2003 2:41AM GMT
Edited: 25 Jan 2004 2:59AM GMT
There are a couple previous posts re new coeln (incl mine indicating the Ancestry 1870 census somehow put the Wauwatosa listings under New Coeln).
One of the other ones has an extensive list on surnames from research in that area....might be a start.
I just put coeln in the search box & poked Milw board & they came up.
Larry

Posted: 2 Dec 2003 2:20AM GMT
Surnames: scheiding, annen, joerres, loch, schneider
I have done a bit of research concerning the New Coeln area of Lake Township. My ancestors settled there in the 1840's and were founding members of St. Stephen's Church.

Let me know what information that you are seeking. I may have some info in my database.

John Scheiding

Posted: 2 Dec 2003 4:56AM GMT
Edited: 16 Nov 2005 2:20PM GMT
Surnames: Goelz Gassen Heyl Schumacher Esser Britz Wilke Burnquist
Thanks for your response to my query on New Colen research.

My genealogy research is focused on Town of Lake pioneer families (beginning in 1847), but in the northern half of the old township: section 16, on Clement Ave [homestead across from the former Nash plant] and west to Whitnal and Howell Avenues. Some of the interconnected families lived in the New Coeln village area as well.

I'll send you email with some of my specific interests about the history of that area.

Gary Rebholz
(former Milwaukeean) Chicago, Illinois

Posted: 16 Nov 2010 5:20AM GMT
Surnames: Loch, "Lock", Annen, Damm, Schneider, Boll, Kurth/Korth
Hello,
My research includes the surnames you have listed and would be interested in comparing notes.

Posted: 16 Nov 2010 4:58PM GMT
I don't see any common names in my 2003 posting to the names you've listed in your posting, but you're welcome to contact me through email if you have any questions. I don't use message boards in place of email. My family tree is already posted on the free Rootsweb site (without sources).

For some reason it occurs to me that you're familiar with the ongoing German newspaper indexing project I've created.

Gary Rebholz
Milwaukee, WI

Posted: 17 Nov 2010 12:44AM GMT
Indeed...via FB MGN page and you provided look ups for me as well. I thought I was replying to the post by jfscheiding but it's always good to touch base. I'm very impressed with the information you provide via your indexing project and look forward to the examples posted. . guess hoping too, that some noteworthy post on the Loch/Lock family will reveal itself from your efforts.
Thank you.

Posted: 12 Nov 2012 3:22PM GMT
My grandparents went to St. John's Lutheran Church as my mother and I did, which at one time was where the airport runway now crosses Howell ave. I have a 1950 St. John's 100th Anniversary booklet that is interesting reading. It would appear that a number of my relatives might have lived in the area that was called New Coeln.
my email is wggroth@gmail.com if interested. --W. Groth

Posted: 13 Nov 2012 3:24PM GMT
I have that church and cemetery listed in a New Coeln bibliography I've been working on (since 1999!) from references I found to the old location. I haven't seen the anniversary book, and it's not apparent from the MPL catalog whether they have a copy of it. I think the library has a photo that show the cemetery during removal ("cemeteries" photo file, and not a formal photo of the grounds).

Posted: 13 Nov 2012 4:41PM GMT
I've given the anniversary book, for temporary use, to a Ron Winkler who is working on a history of the Town of Lake for "Images of America". Are you interested in looking at it when he is done? Some of my relatives were founding members of St. John's and are buried in the cemetary that was moved by Milwaukee county to a special section at Forest Hill cemetary in Oak Creek.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions