Search for content in message boards

Goodmans of Newman's Ridge - Hawkins County TN

Goodmans of Newman's Ridge - Hawkins County TN

Posted: 10 Jun 2009 4:32AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi, my name is Linda Goodman Benson. Some of you I have communicated with and some I have not. I have been reviewing the information at Mary Lynn Evan's 7 armadillos family tree project, concerning the Goodmans prior to 1800. I am descended from William Goodman who married Martha (Patsy) Manis, through his son Alfred Goodman. I understand there is not a lot of information to go on during this time, so I have wondered what the documentation is that William is the son of Obediah Goodman. I have seen Obediah's will and William is not listed as one of his children. Obediah was born in 1770 and William was born in 1790, so the ages would work that they could be father and son, but is there written proof?

I have also been reviewing the message boards on Rootsweb.com. The surnames of Kirk, Gibson, Moore, Lawson, and Sizemore are discussed along with Goodman. Mary Lyn has one post questioning whether Obediah Goodman and Obediah Moore are the same person depending upon location and the female he was with. It is an interesting theory.

However, I am beginning to wonder if the Goodman name is the paternal line at all. My brother submitted DNA for me through AncestryDNA and I have compared his results with others on the Ancestry website. So far there are no Goodmans included other than my brother, but it surprised me that the DNAs match with the exception of only one marker with a Gibson, King and Manis, which show the possiblity of matching between 1-6 generations or 150 years. Lawson is the next name down which is 7 generations or 175 years. I have also joined the Goodman DNA project to compare my brother's DNA with others there. Granted there are no Goodmans from Hawkins County TN on the list - most being from Virginia and N. Carolina - but the highest number of matches is 19 out of 45. Have any Goodman males submitted DNA, from this area so we might compare?

If my suspicion is true, where did the change happen. If there are no records that Obediah is William's father, it could be that a female Goodman had an illegitimate child with a man from one of the names above and the son kept the mother's name. Or if descendants of both Obediah and Edmund have the same DNA results, then there is a father of another name before their births. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Linda Benson

Re: Goodmans of Newman's Ridge - Hawkins County TN

Posted: 3 Jan 2010 6:01PM GMT
Surnames: Blevins Colley Evans Goodman Riggs Falin
Hi Linda, you've done some great research.
I too had wondered if the kids could have taken their
mother's name seeing how the Indians were known for following their maternal lineage and the "Melugeons" often took the last name of their mother's family as well. You could be on to something here, especially seeing how the DNA came out. Please keep me updated if you learn anything else & if I learn anything I will let you know too.
Thank you
Karen

Posted: 9 Jan 2010 5:58AM GMT
Surnames: Goodman, Gibson, Richardson
Your brother's close Gibson DNA match may be the best indication of the truth. If Obediah took his surname from a Goodman, but is not actually of the Goodman blood line, that might explain it. According to one source: "In the marriage bond of Enoch Goodman, son of Obediah Goodman and Aletha Richardson, Obediah gives permission for Enoch to marry Susannah Hale. The bond states that Obediah had no lawful father." To me, the information from the marriage bond, along with the DNA results, tends to indicate that Obediah may have been the result of a liaison between the wife or daughter of a Goodman and one of the Gibson males in the neighborhood, and that he was given or took the Goodman surname, perhaps because they did not even know who the father was at the time. If Obediah was born ca 1770 as seems to be the consensus, the liaison may have actually occurred in VA or NC, since Newman's Ridge was pretty much a wild frontier at the time, and there is no record of any Goodman land grants or other long term presence in the area until the early 1780s.

Newman's Ridge was named for Walter Newman, a member of Elisha Wallen's "Long Hunters" hunting and exploration parties in 1761/62. (http://www.ancientfaces.com/research/story/383170). In NC Land Grants in TN, 1778-1791: recorded in Greene Co, 1786-1788, transcribed by Virginia L. "Ginny" Keefer: Grant #770, Joseph Goodman, 100 ac. on Sinking Creek, Washington Co., 1787. This grant may be one of the sources for the presumption that this Joseph Goodman was the father of Obediah, but without further proof, it is probably merely conjecture at this point. When TN was formed in 1790, a small part of Washington County remained in NC and was absorbed into Wilkes and Burke counties, and the rest became TN. Sinking Creek is just inside the TN border, and a good distance from Newman's Ridge. A Joseph Goodman is recorded on the Blount Co., TN tax list in 1800, along with some of my Goodman ancesters and relations, also a good distance from Newnan's Ridge.

I have also found strong Goodman/Gibson connections earlier in VA. In the last year, I finally identified who I believe to be the wife of Bartholomew/Bartelott/Bartlett Goodman (Bart.) (re: http://www.goodmanhistory.com/bartlett-bartholomew-goodman-v...), originally of Hanover/Louisa County, VA, then of Bedford/Campbell Co., VA, whose first name has long known to be Tabitha, as she is named in Bart. Goodman's will of 1799 in Iredell County, North Carolina.

Gilbert Gibson, ca 1686-1763, was a planter and resident of Louisa and Albemarle County when he died in 1763, with lands in both of those counties and also lands on the Pamunkey River in Hanover or New Kent County, where some of his Gibson ancestors and relations are recorded as "mulatto" on the tax lists. (re: http://www.freeafricanamericans.com/Gibson_Gowen.htm). Gilbert Gibson Will (dated 7 June 1760, Rcd. 15 October 1764: Louisa County Will Book 1, page 78): Will of Gilbert Gibson, Planter. Synopsis: He gave all his estate to his wife Sarah during her lifetime and then divided the estate as follows: to (her son) John Lemay 200 acres on Ballanger's Creek in Albemarle County, to his sons Gideon and Jordan Gibson land on Pamunkey River (He was granted two patents for land in what was then New Kent County on 11 July 1719: one for 224 acres adjoining Stephen Sunter's patent and Captain Dangerfield's line and another for 125 acres adjoining John Macon and Matthew and Thomas Anderson.), to his son William Gibson land on South Anna River (he received a patent for 400 acres on both sides of the South Anna River on 28 September 1728 in Hanover County, 400 acres in Hanover County adjoining John Woodey on 28 January 1733, and 200 acres on both sides of Ballenger's Creek in Albemarle County on 20 August 1747 [Land Office Patents 10:437; 14:3; 15:146; 23:138].), to his sons Gilbert and David one shilling each, to daughters Tabitha, Mary, and Jane Gibson household items and farm animals, and lent to his son George Gibson and daughter Frances Gibson the land where they were then living during their lifetimes provided they paid ten shillings. Feeba Bunch was a witness to the will [WB 1:78]."

The Pamunkey River spans Hanover and New Kent Counties, and flows SE into York County, where it joins with the York River. The South Anna River is a major tributary of the Pamunkey that spans the western part of Hanover and SE part of Louisa Counties, as does the North Anna and its tributary, the Little River, where my Goodman ancestors settled in the early and middle 1700s. The locations of these lands documents this family's migration up the Pamunkey and its tributaries from New Kent through Hanover and Louisa to Albemarle, basically the same migration path as the Goodmans of New Kent, Hanover and Louisa Counties.

Some of these Virginia Goodmans, notably Benjamin Lewis Goodman, ca 1732-1781, seem to have followed similar migration routes as some of the Gibson and Goins families. Benjamin sold his Louisa County lands on the Little River in 1754 when he removed with wife Maria Williams and her parents, Daniel Williams and his wife Ursula Henderson, and other of their kin to Lunenburg Co., and then, with many of the same families, to Granville Co., NC about 1767, and then to Laurens, SC about 1788/89. These were the same Henderson and Williams families who were among the partners in "The Transylvania Company" that sponsored Daniel Boone's trek into Kentucky to found Boonesborough, and Daniel Goodman, presumed to be a son of Benjamin Goodman and Maria Williams, went with them. While these movements may seem to correspond to those of some of the Gibson/Goins and other families previously of the Pamunkey region, this could have been a coincidence, as many unrelated families of the time were also on the move as new territories were opened to colonial settlement.

But back to the Goodman/Gibson connections:

Bart. Goodman was one of the purchasers of goods at Gilbert Gibson's estate sale (Albemarle County, VA, Will Book 2, p. 35, Account of Sales of estate of Gilbert Gibson, 13 July 1763). Tabitha, daughter of Gilbert Gibson, was apparently still single when he wrote her into his will in 1760. Although it is not recorded anywhere I can find, Tabitha Gibson probably married Bart. Goodman sometime between 1762 and 1766, after her father's 1760 will was written and possibly even before his 1763 estate sale. They lived for a time in the old Fontaine-Michie House (from 'Old Home Places of Louisa County, re: http://www.goodmanhistory.com/images/genealogy/FontaineMichi...) located at the SW corner of Rt 22 and US 15 in Louisa County, just east of the Albemarle County line. This house was later owned by the same John Lemay, son of Gilbert Gibson's 2nd wife, Sarah Turner, by her 1st marriage to Pierre/Peter Lemay, who is named in Gilbert Gibson's will above. If Gilbert Gibson was in fact "mulatto" or of mixed blood, as earlier county tax records seem to indicate, then his descendants, including those of Bart. and Tabitha Goodman, would also be, though to a lesser degree. Gilbert Gibson's son Jordan Gibson sold a 25 ac Louisa County plantation "known as Goodman's Hill" on Peter's Creek to Robert Anderson in 1776 (Louisa DB E p. 94). The Jordan given name, occurring as it does in both the Newman's Ridge Goodman and Gibson lineages, could indicate some relationship, although some of the Gibsons of NC and SC in the latter 1700s also had Jordan given names.

Based on later marriages and deeds of Bart. Goodman's family recorded in Campbell County VA (re: http://www.goodmanhistory.com/virginia-goodman/va-campbell-c...) and Bedford Co VA (http://www.goodmanhistory.com/virginia-goodman/va-bedford-co...), and by extrapolating probable ages and birth dates from those records, Bart. and Tabitha Goodman had son John b. ca 1766, son Gibson (Gibby) b. ca 1768, and other children. Gibson Goodman's name is a strong tip-off to this connection. Some of their children's later marriages in Bedford and Campbell Co., VA, are "with permission of Bartlett Goodman, father of the bride" and some are named in Bart's will, but he had no brother named Joseph and no son Obediah as far as can be determined from any of those records.

As far as I can determine, none of the Goodman's of Hanover/Louisa VA, and none of Bart. Goodman's known sons, ever went to Newman's Ridge TN. But other Goodmans of that same Hanover/Louisa line, including my own ancestor John James Goodman, did go to E. TN, to Greene County (http://www.goodmanhistory.com/tennessee-goodman/tn-eastern-g...) just south of there, between 1784 and 1788, where his family was closely associated with the John Richardson family. This John Richardson had a son Obediah, named in his 1793 will in Greene County, TN, who married Sarah Jane Goodman in 1796. But by their recorded marriage date, it seems clear that they could not have been the parents of Obediah Goodmans wife/consort, Aletha Richardson, who was supposedly born ca 1790 or before (per 1870 census: #155, Precinct 3, Floyd Co., KY-Allie Goodman, age 80) when Sarah Jane Goodman, later wife of Obediah Richardson, was only 12 years old. Obediah Richardson was much older than Sarah Goodman when they married, so he could be the father of Aletha/Ally Richardson by a previous wife, but not by Sarah Goodman.

Interestingly, the John James Goodman of Green Co., TN had son Amos, who by his 2nd marriage to Mourning Jones, had son Amos Moore Goodman of Barren/Hart Co., KY, and I have so far been unable to find how the Moore name came into this Goodman family.

Posted: 10 Jan 2010 10:25PM GMT
Surnames: Blevins, Colley, Evans, Falin, Goodman, Richardson
Ron you are simply amazing. All the research you have done and your thoughts so organized as seen in everything you write. I am so happy to see you still pursuing the Goodman family who ended up on Newman's Ridge. Thank you for all your hard work which could help many of us finally find our families and come to know a little more about them.

I want to share some of my thoughts about this subject. But no way can I put my thoughts into words as good as Ron does, but will do my best. I have so many questions and different considerations that come to mind.

And Ron, glad you brought up the citation that says "Obediah Goodman" did not have a lawful father, and your thoughts about it and how that fits Linda's thoughts and findings. It sounds very possible that the Goodman name is a maternal one, especially seeing how Linda's brother's DNA results came out, or at least one scenario.

So if these Goodman children were born out of wedlock, it is quite possible the children would be given their mother's name then, rather than their father's. Other possibilities; the family chose the Goodman name because they liked it and felt it suited them as a people = "GOOD" "MAN". Or maybe this family chose the Goodman name (actually being of Gibson blood themselves) naming themselves after a white family who they met and liked when traveling west together. Or could it be that this particular Goodman family were living on the ridge previous to the group arrival from the east, and perhaps they chose to take the same Goodman name as some of the traveling "friendly Indians" had received from a white man when the moved onto the ridge? Never know, I guess.

I saw where a "Sherod Goodman" petitioned to create a new county, Hancock, from Hawkins TN in 1799. He had to have been born, before 1779, say?

I found the following tree which is a little different than most I've seen; here having a son Sherod Goodman a named along with Obediah and other siblings.

Generation 1 
(Supposed parent names as given by many researchers)
1.  JOSEPH1 GOODMAN was born Before 1760 (had to be much earlier that that to have a son born in 1768 – like before 1750...if he were in fact the father.)
He married CHEROKEE/SHAWNEE WOMAN.   

Children of supposed parents: JOSEPH GOODMAN and CHEROKEE/SHAWNEE WOMAN:
1. JOHN GOODMAN.
2. SHEROD GOODMAN b. Before 1768. 

Notes for SHEROD GOODMAN:
Listed ub Gawjubs Co. Tenneseee tax list - Census 1799
Politics:  January 23, 1799, signed petition to form new county from Hawkins Co. TN, name shown as Shered Goodman.
Residence 1799, living on northwest side of Clinch Mountain in Hawkins Co. TN according to a 1799 Hawkins Co. petition. 

3. OBEDIAH GOODMAN, b. Abt. 1770, Newman's Ridge, TN;
d. Abt. 1836, Hawkins Co., TN.
4. MARTHA GOODMAN, b. Abt. 1772.
5. EDMUND S. GOODMAN b. 1775, Newman's Ridge, Hawkins Co. Tennessee;
d. Aft. April 10, 1846.
6. JURDAN GOODMAN, b. Abt. 1794. 
Notes for JURDAN GOODMAN:
Census: 1810, Early East Tennessee Taxpayers list him owning no land, no mark for white or black poll, while others are marked.
No first name, Capt Looney's Co. 
7. SAMUEL GOODMAN, b. Abt. 1797, North Carolina;
d. Aft. 1850.
8. LOUIS LOPOLIAN GOODMAN, b. Bet. 1800 - 1810. 
(not sure about this name?)

I couldn't find the Goodman name "Sherod", "Shered", nor "Sherrod" later on documented anywhere after he signed the petition of January 23, 1799. I have see the name Shered and /or Sherod "GIBSON" named by family researchers and have wondered if Sherod Goodman and Sherod Gibson are one and the same? I believe it is highly possible and probable that most of the Indian/ Melungeon families who lived on Newman's Ridge together were all inter-related one way or another, even before reaching Tennessee.

If this Goodman family were in fact, born on the ridge (in the 1760's to 1800)during the time when the Indians still had the run of this land, surely there would not have been any white preachers there nor would the Indians have been concerned about abiding by the "white man's" law and tradition, having their own beliefs and practices that were they considered moral and right in the eyes of their Creator, even if not by the white man.

For a woman (who gave birth to these children)to have trekked all the way up that ridge and to have lived as primitive as they must have in those early years, seems to me, she would most likely have been "Indian" or at least in part. The father of these children did not have to be full "Indian" or even part Indian to have survived, as some of our early pioneer men were extremely rugged and able to survive like the natives of the land, some having learned the Indians ways from the Indians who would have accepted into their tribe if the white man proved himself worthy of their trust.

And if this people "Indians" or "Melungeon" were living on the ridge previous to the move of the greater body of "friendly Indians", in 1761, when Daniel Boone and the other hunters came through, it probably means that they were either hiding good or the Boone party did not search every square foot of Newman Ridge when they were there.

And if there were,in fact, Indians living on Newman Ridge at the time of Boone, the Indians at the top of the ridge would have been quite aware of Boone and his comrades presence while they were yet in the valley below. The Indians would have made themselves near invisible to the Long Hunters eyes, as the Indians have always been so skilled and able to; being quieter than a mouse, nibble footed, and able to hide in plain sight if they wanted to.

Could there have been Cherokee or Yuchi Indians(who has been documented to have lived on the ridge before the white man come)have been living and hiding on the ridge from the white man? Could this earlier ridge people have been related to the "friendly Indians" who were to soon come, having attained land grants, choosing this particular land (if they in fact had a choice?)that they might join their family on the ridge with hope of assurance of, then, not being bothered by the white man? And since the Indians got around a lot quicker and easier than mere white men, knowing the terrain of the land well and knowing how to survive the wilderness, it would have been nothing for them to have traveled east to see their family and back again, after telling them to come live on the ridge with them.

Of course this is all just speculation on my part and whether any of it be true or not, chances are of eve proving it one way or another is probably near impossible.

Posted: 11 Jan 2010 8:17PM GMT
Surnames: Goodman, Gibson, Richardson, Kirk
I was told that Edmond Goodman was born 1775 on the ridge. However, when I contacted the man who gave me that info for a copy of the Bible record, he would not respond. Will Kirk, Ed's son, made an affadavit that his father was 1/2 Cherokee. I am descended through Will Kirk.
Louis Lopolian is a story that was told to a descendant and I believe it was just that, another cover story by somone who didn't want the Melungeon connetion to be known.

Posted: 11 Jan 2010 10:28PM GMT
Surnames: Blevins, Colley, Evans, Falin, Goodman, Patton, Richardson
That's sad that this person would not contact you again about the Bible record. Maybe he lost his internet connection; moved or something. Would be nice to know positive sure one way or another. I saw that Will Kirk did say that. At least you know this much to be true. I think I saw the mention of a Louis Lopolian twice ... once he was named as a son here, and in another place, he was named as the father of Edmund, Obediah, and Jurdan. Very well may be true, that a person would still want to hide their Melungeon connection. Personally I am proud to know (or am almost convinced) that I am a descendant of such a strong and "good" people who were survivors.

Posted: 14 Jan 2010 7:37AM GMT
Surnames: Goodman, Gibson, Richardson, Kirk
Checked my source for William Robert Goodman being a son of Obediah and I have it listed as a Kevin Goodman of California who is a descendant that I have lost touch with, he didn't have email. I recorded this long ago before I understood the importance of sources and accuracy, however so don't know how accurate it is. In my program I can record accuracy ratings for sources, etc., that don't come across when posted online. I do remember it said that Wiliam Robert used either his middle name or his given name as he saw fit. I have it posted on the site that all info should be regarded as unverified unless otherwise noted.
Sally Goodman married John Moore if I remember correctly as recorded in Revolutionary Pension records and that could be where the Moore name came in. She is later living with Obediah Goodman.

[Re: Goodmans of Newman's Ridge - Hawkins County TN] and MOORE

Posted: 14 Jan 2010 4:24PM GMT
The following is from Jack Goens website and has a lot more information there. Jack has a lot of good information. You probably saw it but I imagine there are many who have not yet so this may help someone.
-------------------------
From Jack Goens:
My earliest known Moore ancestors are William, Charles and John. My best guess is that Charles is the son of William and John, whose Revolutionary War pension application is re-printed below See link below to app at Jack Goens page), is the son of Charles. John Moore was born May 1758 in Orange County, North Carolina and died July 1836 in Floyd County, Kentucky.

From Andrew Moore sold his 213 acres is Surry County, NC (later the NE corner of Stokes County) in May of 1787. Andrew was living in Wilkes County, NC, in 1790 with the Gibson and Collins families as they started migrating west to Tennessee. Andrew was probably the brother of John and James and son of Charles.

James Moore, probably a son of Charles and brother of Andrew and John, moved to Hawkins Co., TN, from Stokes Co., NC, and lived on Newman’s Ridge next to the Gibsons. James Moore and his son James were listed as M on the TN census. Vardy Collins was a witness on James' pension application which was filed in Hawkins County (see below).

John Moore, probably a son of Charles and brother to James and Andrew, was born in Orange Co., NC, in 1758, and married Sally Goodman in Surry Co., NC, in 1784. One of his sons, Joel, moved to Scott Co., VA. Three other sons, Andrew, Obadiah and Edmund moved to Floyd Co., KY, 1815 - 1818 and they and many of their descendants were listed as M on the KY census between 1820 and 1870. Charles Moore and his descendants or relatives were listed as M or fpc in NC on the 1800, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860 census.

James Moore applied for a Rev. War Pension from Hawkins Co., TN, and John Moore applied from Floyd Co., KY. The two applications are almost mirror images of the other. Both men entered the war at the same time from Surry Co., NC, they served in the same unit, marched to the same places, were discharged at the same time and both returned to their homes in Surry Co.

As stated above, John Moore was born May 1758 in Orange Co., NC. John married Sally Goodman in 1784 in Surry Co., NC (later the NE corner of Stokes Co.). In my research the only Goodman family living in the area close to the time of the marriage was a Joel Goodman. John Moore and Sally Goodman named their first born Joel so Joel Goodman may have been Sally's father. About 1833 John and Sally moved to Floyd Co., KY, with son John Jr. (my direct line), to join three of their sons who had moved to KY about 15 years earlier with some of the Gibson and Collins families. John Moore died in Floyd Co., in 1836. Elizabeth Goodman, Sally's sister, was in Floyd Co., in 1839 because she gave testimony that year in support of Sally's claim for Rev. Pension benefits. William Mosely also gave testimony that he lived in the same neighborhood as the Moores in Rockingham Co., NC, and knew the Moores well and knew of the marriage. Elizabeth Goodman probably went to Floyd Co., from Hawkins Co., TN.

It appears from the information contained in John and Sally Moore's pension applications, the Hawkins Co., deeds and the Surry Co., NC, tax lists that some of the Hawkins Co., Goodman and Mosely families migrated to Hawkins Co., TN, then to Floyd Co., KY, from the Goinstown area of NC where the Moores also lived.

As shown above it is documented that the Moore family lived in Orange County, NC, in the 1750’s. But, where did they live before that? Some researchers suggest they came from Louisa County, VA, because of their close relationship to the Flatt River Gibson families. I have been unable to find evidence to prove that theory. The Moores may have migrated west to Orange County from Bertie County...Thus, a William Moore lived in Bertie County on the Meherrin, possibly as early as 1721, and knew the Patterson family there. However, I have no proof that this William Moore is my William Moore.

As stated above there appears to be a long standing close relationship between the Moore and Gibson families that goes back to at least the 1750’s if not earlier. There are numerous marriages and migrations not mentioned in this writing. My grandfather, Alexander Moore, is buried in the small Moore family cemetery located up Ball Branch, in Mousie, Knott County, Kentucky. Below is a photo taken about 1962 showing my grandmother visiting my grandfather’s grave. The grave marker in the foreground is quite interesting. (See link below to Jack Goens page for pictures.)
http://www.jgoins.com/Y_genealogy.htm

Posted: 14 Jan 2010 5:53PM GMT
You are probably right about that being how the MOORE name came in with the GOODMAN name.

In looking at the information Jack Goens reported, it seems
very likely this is how that happened:

"John MOORE, probably a son of Charles and brother to James and Andrew, was born in Orange Co., NC, in 1758, and married Sally GOODMAN in Surry Co., NC, in 1784.

One of his sons, Joel, moved to Scott Co., VA.
Three other sons,
1 Andrew,
2 Obadiah and
3 Edmund
all moved to Floyd Co., KY, 1815 - 1818 and they and many of their descendants were listed as M on the KY census between 1820 and 1870. Charles Moore and his descendants or relatives were listed as M or fpc in NC on the 1800, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860 census."
http://www.jgoins.com/kit__26975.htm

Because of the same first names given for the John Moore and Sally GOODMAN children as the GOODMANS who lived on Newman Ridge TN, and because some of them moved to Floyd Kentucky, and also because John MOORE's wife was a GOODMAN...maybe someone thought this family was one in the same and documented that?

Posted: 28 Sep 2010 11:50PM GMT
Surnames: Goodman, Richardson, Patton, Sizemore, Colley, Riggs, Bevins or Blevins
GIBSON:

I have a John Goodman born about 1836, my g-g-grandfather) who is supposed to be the son of Pleasant Goodman, Obediah and Aletha Richardson Goodman's son. Aletha also had children by George Golden Hawk Sizemore.

I saw where Frank Goodman posted a family tree that says John Goodman was "married" 1st to Jemima Gibson before my g-g-grandmother Ellen (Eleanor) Riggs.

http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/g/o/o/Frank-H-Goo...

Then I find the following information in a 1880 Kentucky Census:

Title: 1880 Federal Population Census: Kentucky: Carter County Author: National Archives & Records Administration
Note: Western Reserve Historical Society, Media: Microfilm
Text: ED42, sh17, line 8, Hunnewell

Goodman, John, 41 head ore miner KY KY KY
" Elleanor 40 wife keeping house VA VA NC
" Nancy E 12 dau at home KY KY VA
" William 10 son at home KY KY VA
" Elleanor 4 dau at home KY KY VA
Gibson, Nancy 16 adopted dau at home KY VA VA ("illegitimate" written in margin).

Nancy Gibson may have been, then, John Goodman's daughter then, by a woman named Gibson...possibly "Jemima Gibson", that Frank Goodman posted in his family tree.

--------------------------------------------------

Census Sources for my family data:

Sources: 1870, 1880, 1900, 1920 (have others but not at hand at the moment.)

Title: 1870 Federal Population Census: Kentucky: Floyd County; Author: National Archives & Records Administration; Repository: Note: Western Reserve Historical Society; Call Number: Media: Microfilm Text: p. 536, Prect 3, Prestonburg PO

Goodman, John, 35, farmer, KY
" Ellen, 29, keeping house, VA
" William,1/12 (born April) KY
Sexton, Mary, 6, KY
" Rigg, Electa, 3, KY

Title: 1880 Federal Population Census: Kentucky: Carter County
Author: National Archives & Records Administration
Note: Western Reserve Historical Society, Media: Microfilm
Text: ED42, sh17, line 8, Hunnewell

Goodman, John, 41 head ore miner, KY KY KY
" Elleanor 40 wife keeping house VA VA NC
" Nancy E 12 dau. at home, KY KY VA
" William 10 son at home, KY KY VA
" Elleanor 4 dau. at home, KY KY VA
Gibson, Nancy 16 adopted dau.at home, KY VA VA ("illegitimate" written in margin).

Title: 1900 Federal Population Census: Kentucky: Boyd County
Author: National Archives & Records Administration
Repository: Note: Western Reserve Historical Society
Call Number: Media: Microfilm Text: ED11, sh15b, Cannonsburg

Goodman Elenor head Jul abt 1841 58 Wd 3-3,VA VA NC none
[was married to John Goodman...he has died.]
" William son May 1873, 25, KY KY VA coal miner
" Elenor, daughter, Ju 1878, 21, KY KY VA

Colley John head abt 1855 M9 OH ? ?, cut-off saw- saw mill
" Electra wife Feb 1871 29 M9 5-4, KY KY VA
" William, son, Feb 1887, 13, KY OH KY
" John, son, Apr 1892, 8, KY OH KY
" Effa, daughter, Apr 1894, 6, KY OH KY
" Virginia, daughter, Feb 1896, 4, KY OH KY.

Title: 1920 Federal Population Census: West Virginia: Kanawha County; Author: National Archives & Records Administration; Note: Western Reserve Historical Society Call Number: T625, #1957;Media: Microfilm Text: ED73, sh17a, Cabin Creek

Colley John, head, M75, OH KY IN, none
" Electa, wife, F52, KY US VA, none
" Ellen, daughter, F16, KY OH KY, none.

Anyone have any ideas or any information?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions