Search for content in message boards

John Murphy of Virginia and Kentucky Lt.Revolutionary War North Carolina

John Murphy of Virginia and Kentucky Lt.Revolutionary War North Carolina

Jeannie Perrin (View posts)
Posted: 6 Mar 2001 10:08AM GMT
I am looking for information concerning John Murphy born June 12, 1752 in Virginia and died August 13, 1818 in Kentucky.Father was William Murphy and Mother Martha Hodge. I would like confirming information from someone else. He was married to Rachel Cook Feb 8,1774.Rachel Cook was born May 17, 1753 They had 10 children.William,Isaac,Joseph,John,Hosia,Seth,Cooke,Margaret,Rachel,Hannah

I have Rachel's mother listed as Margaret Green and Father as William Cook married in 1750. William Cook was married again to Ann Nelson in 1778. William cook was a Sgt. in Revolutionary war Culpepper, Co Virginia.

John Murphy

Posted: 8 Mar 2001 4:56AM GMT
Edited: 25 Jun 2001 12:55AM GMT
Hello--saw your posting and found it interesting. I have a Gabriel Murphey Sr., born est. 1752,54 in the Culpeper area. Served in the Rev. War, ended up in Caswell NC area in late 1770's. I suspect he had a brother John and wondered if your John could be that person. Gabriel Sr. has a son named Gabriel Jr. also suspect sons John, William, James.

Gabriel Jr. is born 1768, married Clarey Herndon and moved to Russell Co. VA around 1805. He died in 1818 as well. I am descended from their son Edmond.

Family history has it that John Murphey migrated from Caswell with the others, but settled in KY while Gabriel Jr. settled in VA. Wonder is this is the same John Murphey...(there are only thousands by this name!)

Does your info fit this scenario? Just wondered...

John Murphy

Jeannie Perrin (View posts)
Posted: 8 Mar 2001 9:39AM GMT
These people could possibly be related. The information I have on John Murphy is as follows:

Grandfather William Murphy came from Ireland before 1732 and settled in Spottyslvania Co. Virginia. We have no dates of his birth or dearh nor is the name of his wife known. He had a least three children, William, Joseph and Richard. William and Joseph were Babtist preachers and were well known throughout southwestern Virginia and the Carolinas and were referred to as "The Murphy boys". Joseph remained in North Carolina but William moved to Tennessee in 1782 in what is now Knox Co. Tennessee.

Father William Murphy was born in 1732 in Spottysvania Co. Virginia and died around 1800 in Tennessee. He married two times
1. Martha Hodge and had six children and was the mother of John Murphy born Jun2 12, 1752. I do not have the other names.
2. Sarah Barton and had six children by her.

One of the other 11 children could have been related to the person you speak of .

John Murphy married Rachel Cook Feb 8, 1774 and they had 10 children. John Murphy found in DAR book
Vol 1 page 148 as a Lieutenant in the
Revolutionary war.

They had 9 children
1. William married Nancy Ferguson
2. Hannah married Thomas Ferguson
3. Seth( if there was one he must have preceeded his dad in death because he was not mentioned in the will which listed 8 children.
4. John married Nancy Lamb and Mrs. Rosanna Moore Shirley
5. Margaret married Elijah
6. Rachel married Peter Butler
7. Isaac married Nancy Haley
8. Hosea married Sarah Haley
9. Joseph married Julia Haley

With the exception of Hannah Murphy Fergerson and Hosea Murphy who died at age 25 in Kentucky the others with their families went to Illinos. John, Isaac and Joseph were Babtist preachers in Kentucky. They went to Warren Co. Ill.

I hope this has been some help.

John Murphey

Crystal Murphy (View posts)
Posted: 11 May 2001 12:10PM GMT
My G-G-Grandfather, John Murphey, was born in NC and settled in Kentucky. Perhaps we have a connection here. I've been searching this line for awhile. My files are stored away, but I will see what I have on him. I'd appreciate hearing a reply from you. MstryWolfe@aol.com
Crystal Murphy

John Murphey

Crystal Murphy (View posts)
Posted: 11 May 2001 12:16PM GMT
I'm feeling we may have a connection. My John Murphey, was a Baptist Minister, born in NC. I will post the info I have on him as soon as I return home. I've been searching for these people for a long time. I've not been able to locate their origin prior to NC. You have been helpful. I have children's names, as well as wives. I will be in touch.
Many thanks,
Crystal Murphy

John Murphey

JP (View posts)
Posted: 14 May 2001 11:14AM GMT
This is great. You can reach me at desertjp47@yahoo.com ..JP

Re: John Murphey

Posted: 26 Jul 2001 2:51AM GMT
Edited: 7 Apr 2002 8:18PM GMT
Surnames: MURPHY, YARBER (YARBROUGH, YARBOROUGH)
Crystal,
Just a hunch:

My John MURPHY, b. ABT 1755 in North Carolina m. 14 July 1796 in Lincoln County KY to Mary (Polly) YARBER (asa YARBROUGH, YARBOROUGH) b. ABT 1782 (daughter of Robert YARBROUGH and Mary BAILEY) d. 1866 in Garrard County KY. John left North Carolina ABT 1770 and joined Daniel Boone. The family settled in Garrard County KY. John and Mary had 12 children.William b. ABT 1796, Peggy, James b. 25 Dec 1799, Elizabeth, Sarah, John, Brazilla, Hardin, Lucy, Jane b. 9 May 1814, Joseph d. 1853, and Calvin, who died as a youth.

Any clues?

Jack

Re: John Murphy of Virginia and Kentucky Lt.Revolutionary War North Carolina

Posted: 9 Nov 2001 9:56PM GMT
Classification: Query
This is my family line. My mother has quite a bit of information on the Murphys and I'm sure we're the same family. We are from Rachel Cooke and have the complete lineage. Let me know what you'd like!

JP (View posts)
Posted: 13 Nov 2001 5:49PM GMT
You can write to me at desertjp37@yahoo.com. I would like to compare information about the Murhpy's. Thanks..JP

Posted: 29 Jun 2006 4:53PM GMT
I am replying to a message dated Nov 9 2001

I am still looking for information as to John Murphy married to rachel Cooke. The message says that you are from Rachel Cooke and have the complete lineage. Please contact me. Thank you Jeannie
per page

Find a board about a specific topic