Search for content in message boards

Joshua C. Porter

Joshua C. Porter

Posted: 13 Jul 2001 12:05AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 30 Dec 2001 3:00AM GMT
Surnames: Porter, Artist, Massie
I am looking for info on the ancestors of Joshua c. Porter, b.3 Nov. 1806, d. 29 Oct. 1891 m. Mallisse Massie, b. 13 June 1809, d. 22 March 1848 m. 1 Jan. 1827. They were born and married in PA. Mallisse died on the way from PA to OH. Married Phoebe, last name unknown. Phoebe was b.25 Oct.1819, d. 6 July 1888. His son Samuel was b. 24 May 1829, d.in 1917. Samuel married Laura Jane Artist, b. about 1837, d. 13 Oct. 1914. They were married about 1862, in Monroe County, OH. They moved to Wayne County, IL. I am particularly interested in info about Laura Jane Artist and Phoebe, but also Joshua Porter and who his parents were and where they were from. Laura Jane was said to be full blood Native American. Thank you. Mary (me2613@hotmail.com)

Re: Joshua C. Porter

Posted: 15 Jul 2001 3:21AM GMT
Edited: 10 Aug 2002 12:59AM GMT
I know you are looking for ancestors of Joshua Porter, however do you know if Joshua had any siblings? In particular a sister by the name of Sycha? Sycha Porter was born in 1804 in Vermont and married a Samuel Fales. If they were siblings then I have the name of their parents and some other information on the Porter Family line that has some clues on additional ancestors.

Posted: 16 Jul 2001 9:15PM GMT
Classification: Will
Edited: 30 Dec 2001 3:00AM GMT
Surnames: Porter, Artist, Milburn
Hi, Sorry, I don't know if they were siblings or not. I know he went from PA to OH then his son, Samuel, went from OH to IL. I will check what I have at home and see if it has any other info and let you know. Mary

Posted: 12 Apr 2005 4:34AM GMT
Surnames: porter
I am a decendant of Joshua Porter. Unfortunately, I do not have any info of his ancestors.

Can you tell me, is Samuel the son of Phoebe or Mallisse. Samuel was born in OH, but that would make Phoebe 10 years old when he was born. In your posting you said Mallisse died on the to OH from PA. Since I am a decendent of Samuel, I want to make sure I have the right mother.

Thank you!
Sheri

Mary Emmerling (View posts)
Posted: 13 Apr 2005 3:56PM GMT
Sheri, I have to check my Porter stuff. I don't have a computer at home, so I'll check it and email you what I find, or if you email me your snail mail address, I'll copy what I have and mail it to you. I don't have much on Laura Jane Artist, but quite a bit on the Porter family. Where do you fit in?

Posted: 13 Apr 2005 4:49PM GMT
Surnames: Porter, Artist, Moore, Malone, Boren, Warren
Joshua C. Porter is my 4th great grandfather. The line for me is as follows:
Joshua and Phoebe
Samuel Porter and Laura Jane Artist
Martha "Mattie" Alice Porter and Francis Malone
Charles Cecil Malone and Eunice Warren
Edna Malone and George Moore
Then my father Moore and mother Boren still living.

Where do you fit in? I have an old picture of Mattie Porter that my grandmother was in. What line did you come down?

If you wish to email me directly my address is: shericreynolds@hotmail.com

Thanks

Posted: 11 Dec 2007 2:03PM GMT
Surnames: Porter, Wasson, Hallet,
I have a Joshua Porter that I am researching, that is my great great grandfather, who I am named after (born 1870, died 1965). His wife was Hattie Hallet (m.1890). He came over with his parents John & Sarah Wasson Porter. John and Sarah also came over with his brother Joshua and his wife Anne and their families. They came from Kells, Ireland to Castle Garden, in New York City in 1882 on the steamship "Helvetia". I think that my great-great grandfather's Joshua's uncle Joshua might be the one your looking for (it's seems that 1806-1891 would be about when he lived). The information I have says Joshua and Anne came over with their children, but I don't have any of the names.

Posted: 9 Mar 2010 6:43PM GMT
Your great grandfather was my great uncle. I remember him well. Josh was the son of Sara and John. John's brother Joshua settled in the Syracuse area.

Posted: 9 Mar 2010 8:08PM GMT
That's great to hear. I went to visit his grand daughter (my grandmother Ruth) yesterday. I'd love to hear more about him. My personal email address is jpohiostate@yahoo.com.

Posted: 3 Apr 2010 7:03PM GMT
MyJoshua was inPA and Ohio then IL in the 1830s and on.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions