Search for content in message boards

Any Schneiders from Alsace-Lorraine

Any Schneiders from Alsace-Lorraine

Posted: 19 Feb 2010 3:07AM GMT
Classification: Immigration
Surnames: Schneider
I am looking for any Schneiders that may have come from Alsace-Lorraine. My Great-Grandfather was born there and he had several brothers and sisters, ( I think total was 15 or something like that) If anyone has anyinformation please contact me. Thank You,

Bob Schneider

Re: Any Schneiders from Alsace-Lorraine

Posted: 19 Feb 2010 1:29PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi
I'm a decent of the Schneiders from Oberseebach in Alsace. My great grandfather was Adam Schneider b. 1870. His parents were Joseph Schneider and Caroline Lutz. Do you have any information on your Schneider Line?

Posted: 19 Feb 2010 4:00PM GMT
Hi,
Thank you for replying back to me so quickly. I apologize, my information is limited. I only know that he was born in 1887 and died in 1982, and lived in Schenectady, NY. I apreciate any help,thanks.
Bob

Posted: 19 Feb 2010 4:36PM GMT
Hi Bob:

What is the name of the person you are looking for? Was he married and if so what was if wife's name if you know it. I can look through my family tree after I have the name and see if there is any connection.

Thanks, Collene

Posted: 19 Feb 2010 6:45PM GMT
My Great Grandfather's name was Edward Schneider and his wife ( my great grandmother) was Nettie. I am sorry that my information is so vague. I am the oldest son and when my father died in 2006, all the information died with hime, you see he never wrote anything down it was all in his head.
Thank you for all of your assistance. I did find out that one or two of my great grandfathers brothers changed their last name from Schneider to Snyder for safety reasons.

Posted: 20 Feb 2010 12:33AM GMT
Hi Ed...
I checked the 1910 census and it says that Edward had his naturalization papers pending and that he immigrated in 1901. This is actually good news. If you call Schenectady, they may be able to tell you where he would have applied for citizenship, more than likely in Schnectady. If that is the case, you can request a copy of his naturalization papers as well as the "intent" papers. The intent papers usually give you the actual name of the town that he was born in. If you have that YOU ARE GOLDEN, and can trace the family as far back as it goes.

In the 1920 census it says he was naturalized in 1911, so that's even better because it narrows down the time frame. It also says in the 1910 that he was married three years which means sometime around 1907. If he was married in New York, you can write and get a copy of the marriage record. That usually also has very usful information.

You mentioned that he had other siblings. Did the come to the states? If they did, look up the immigration information for each one and see if the paperwork has the actual town listed. Try some of those and see if you can't find the info.

Posted: 20 Feb 2010 1:12AM GMT
Hi Collene,

I want to thank you for all the information you have given me. It will definately help in my search. I do appreciate it.
Thanks again,
Bob

Posted: 20 Feb 2010 1:47PM GMT
Surnames: schneider,snyder,boylan,bissler,turkalj, herrick
i have schneiders in my ancestry from ohio my grandmothe lived in massillon and her mom and dad leo a schneider and his wife mary bissler boylan, the bisslers came from alsace , not sure on the schneiders. i have a document that list leos dad as peter schneider with wife name mary witt. says peter schneider buried in st marys cemetery massillon ohio. i dont have much info on this line and for the most part has remained a mystery.
thanks
beth

Posted: 29 Mar 2010 5:19PM GMT
Beth, if you find out any information , please let me know. I am still working on researching my families history. I do know that the came from Alsace-Lorraine, but not much more then that as of yet.
Thanks,
Bob

Posted: 9 Sep 2011 12:29PM GMT
My father told me that our family came from alsace-lorraine area.I grew up in Pittsburgh,Pa.I have an old german bible from 1734,so I think my family came here in the 1700's.I have an old church jubilee book that tells the history of the first church in pittsburgh.Quit a few Schneider's are listed.I am trying to work my way backword from 1855 when my great-great grandfather was born.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions