Search for content in message boards

Help with a few names...

Help with a few names...

Posted: 5 May 2007 12:38PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi, we are cleaning up Padstow Cemetery, there is 5 visible stones, and through research in archives we have found another 5 burials.
Anyone with any information on either Padstow church and cemetery or the following people...please contact me.
Hamilton Mackie
Beola Elizabeth Dawson (Geln Dawson informant)
Emily Townsend (Fred Townsend informant)
Herman Miller (Anna Miller informant)
John Kuhl
Andor Olber
Caroline L Payne
Willoughby Arthur Payne (His stone reads willoughby h payne, this is wrong)
Henry Turvey
Arthur Robert Arnold

http://savinggraves.ca/projects_ab.htm

Jamie ericjami@persona.ca

Re: PADSTOW CEMETERY Help with a few names...

Posted: 5 May 2007 7:44PM GMT
Surnames: MACKIE,DAWSON,TOWNSEND,MILLER,KUHL,OBER,PAYNE,TURVEY,ARNOLD
Hi Jamie,
Just a Thought: Perhaps also posting to the General Message Board for Alberta:Readers from across Alberta - and elsewhere - Perhaps some can help with information about the Church or Cemetery - or the people you name.

Looking at the site - and reading the text breaks my heart.
Obviously-families no longer live in the area. Or - once buried - are forgotten - a very sad thought.

Reminds me of Cemeteries we visited in Eastern Europe - one section - so well cared for - though the graves are old - the other side - demolished - stones used for city streets etc. - Some Cemeteries in other parts of the world are now parking lots etc.

Thank you for taking on this Project - My very Best Wishes go to you and all of the Volunteers.
Sincerely, Stella

Posted: 5 May 2007 9:56PM GMT
Good idea Stella, I'll try the surname boards too.

It is such a sad feeling looking at the graves with no stones...never mind before we cut the brush and you had to squeeze through jungle to get to the burials.
-sigh-

In case someone does a search and gets to these postings I'll add another name we just found. Thomas Allin father of Richard Winfied? Allin of Church of England Missionary Society of Toronto Ontario. He was the first burial in the chuch cemetery in 1913.

ericjami@persona.ca
http://savinggraves.ca/projects_ab.htm

Posted: 5 May 2007 10:52PM GMT
Hi-Many of the older Cemeteries - only had wooden markers - which overtime deteriorate - perhaps some at this cemetery as well.
We had been searching for the graves of my grandparents 3 daughters -we have now determined that they passed away between 1904 when the youngest at the time was born -and prior to the 1906 Census.
Death Registrations have not been found - the surname CHMELYK is often misspelled.
When we had our Family reunion in 1999 101 years after our grandparents arrival. We did visit a Ukrainian Catholic church cemetery in the area - with 0 success.
There were stone monuments - as well - some wooden crosses still survived.many areas with no markers - but - this cemetery was very well kept.
Again, Wishing you much success with your project.
Cheers, Stella

Re: Help with a few names...

Posted: 28 Nov 2012 4:35PM GMT
Surnames: Allin
Hi,
I just came across your post from 2007!
Thomas Allin was my gggrandfather. He was in Alberta working for the government. While he was there he was killed by a falling tree during a storm. His son Richard Winfred (Fred) apparently went there and brought him back and buried him in the cemetery in Sunderland Ontario. Did they really bring him back or are his remains still in Padstow Cemetery? There is family stone in the Sunderland cemetery with his name on it but maybe they just included him on it.
Do you have any pictures or other information?
Thank you,Lesa

Posted: 3 Apr 2013 7:47PM GMT
Hi,
My name is Lesa (Allin) Avarino. Thomas Allin was my Great Great Grandfather. His son Richard Winfred Allin went by train to Padstow and brought his body back to Ontario. He is now buried in Sunderland Cemetery in Ontario. Would you happen to have a photo or any other info on the grave at the cemetery?
My tree is the Allin and Brown Family Tree and there is info about Thomas on there.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions