Search for content in message boards

COLLINS... of RI & CT

COLLINS... of RI & CT

Thomas Collins (View posts)
Posted: 9 Apr 2002 5:50PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: COLLINS, MOREY, PALMER, LEWIS, etal
Need Help...
Thomas M. COLLINS b- 9 Feb 1800, Hopkinton, RI (son of John COLLINS & Elizabeth MOREY).
married, 11 May 1823, No. Stonington, CT,
Charlotte PALMER b- 10 Dec 1800, No. Stonington, CT (dau of Oliver PALMER & Nancy Crandall UTTER).
Issue:
Henry E. COLLINS b- ca 1823, prob. Stonington or No. Stonington, CT.
Thomas H. COLLINS b- ca 1824, prob. Stonington or No. Stonington, CT.
(some children unknown).
Charles W. COLLINS b- ca 1833, Stonington, CT.
Phineas W. COLLINS b- ca 1836, Stonington, CT.
Andrew T. COLLINS b- ca 1839, Plainfield, CT.
John R. COLLINS b- ca 1841, Norwich?, CT.
Susan E. COLLINS b- ca 1843, Griswold, CT.
NOTES:
1850 census- Thomas M. COLLINS (well digger), Charlotte, & last five children resided at Killingly, Windham, CT.
1850 census- Henry E. COLLINS (blacksmith), and Elizabeth YOUNG (wife) resided at New London, CT.
1850 census- Thomas (H) COLLINS resided at Stonington, CT.
Thomas H. COLLINS married, ca 1851, Elizabeth B. LEWIS b- ca 1830, White Rock, Westerly, RI (dau of Pardon LEWIS & Susan PECKHAM of Westerly, RI).
1860 census- Thomas H. COLLINS & family resided at Westerly, RI.
Thomas H. COLLINS & Elizabeth B. LEWIS had the following issue:
Ransford COLLINS b- 11 Dec 1852, Westerly, RI.
Harriet E. COLLINS b- 5 May 1857, Westerly, RI.
Henry E. COLLINS b- 10 May 1862, Westerly, RI.
1870 census- Thomas H. COLLINS & family resided at Richmond, RI.
1871 Richmond, RI- Ransford COLLINS married Ella J. LARKIN.
1872 Richmond, RI Tax Rolls- Thomas H. COLLINS was listed.
1874 Richmond, RI- Harriet E. COLLINS died.
1880 census (CT)- Thomas H. COLLINS & family resided at Ledyard, New London, CT.
1880 census (RI)- Elizabeth B. COLLINS & her son Henry E. COLLINS resided with her parents (Pardon & Susan LEWIS, at Westerly, RI). (The RI census was taken 3 or 4 months after the CT census).
I suspect that Thomas H. COLLINS died between Apr - Aug 1880 (cemetery unknown).
1880 census- Henry E. COLLINS (brother of Thomas H. COLLINS) resided at Plainfield, Windham, CT.
Henry E. COLLINS (son of Thomas H. COLLINS) married, 25 Apr 1888, Ledyard, CT, to Jennie Haley NORMAN of Mystic, CT.
The last known residence for Elizabeth B. COLLINS, was Peace Dale, RI (prob. with son, Ransford COLLINS). She died, prob. between 1909-11 (cemetery unknown).
There is a lady at the Hopkinton, RI Library, who has researched the COLLINS families of Hopkinton... but I don't know her name.
I urgently need more primary & secondary records, or where they may be found.
TIA for any assistance, as my gg-grandfather has been one tough ancestor to track.

Re: COLLINS... of RI & CT

Posted: 15 Apr 2002 2:09AM GMT
Edited: 14 May 2002 10:53PM GMT
Surnames: COLLINS, HEFLIN, PALMER, MOWREY, AVERY
I am descended from Thomas M. & Charlotte (Palmer) COLLINS. According to records sent to me by the state of RI, Thomas was the son of John and Elizabeth (Mowrey). You have his birthdate right but he maried Charlotte 11 May 1823 in Stonington, New London, CT. He d. 24 May 1867 in Canterbury, Windham, CT. Charlotte d. 7 Feb 1855 also in Canterbury. This is according to the town records. Their children were: Thomas b. 27 Jan 1824; Hannah b. 12 Apr 1826; Roxanna b. 14 Mar 1828; Oliver b. 10 Sep 1830; Phineas b. 20 Jan 1836; Andrew b. 8 Jun 1838. In the 1860 Census Thomas and his second wife,Caroline, were recorded in No. Stonington, New London,CT. They were living with my g-g-grandparents, Jared F. and Hannah (Collins) HEFLIN, along with 5 HEFLIN grandchildren. Thomas and Caroline are buried in Packerville Cem., Canterbury.
In the vital records of Hopkinton, Washington, RI you will find a listing of the children of John & Elizabeth COLLINS. They are: Elizabeth b. 29 Sep 1796; Sarah b. 22 Feb 1798; Thomas b. 9 Feb 1800; Benjamin b. 13 Oct 1802; Anna b. 18 Mar 1804; William b. 1 Mar 1806; Amos b. 5 Mar 1808.
The parents of John COLLINS were John and Mary (Avery) and, according to RI state archives, their children were: Mary b. 30 Nov 1769; John b. 19 Apr 1771; Mehetable b. 17 Nov 1773; Stephen b. 18 Jun 1776; Samuel b. 8 Aug 1780; Daniel b. 13 Dec 1781.

Ian Civco (View posts)
Posted: 31 Aug 2002 12:18AM GMT
Surnames: COLLINS PALMER
I descend from Thomas Collins and Charlotte Palmer as well. The family history is all written down in a book on the Collins family, by George Knapp Collins, available at the DAR in Washington. The following is off the top of my head, but is basically correct. You will find that Thomas Collins' father is indeed John Collins, b. 1745 and d. 1843, at exactly 98 1/2 years old to the day! He was a Rev. War veteran. His parents were not John and Mary (Avery), but rather John Collins, a Quaker preacher (1716-1778), whose wife is listed in George Knapp Collin's book, but slips my mind at present. There are Avery's in the ancestry of the Collins' and/or Palmer's, but not that recently.

Ian Civco (View posts)
Posted: 31 Aug 2002 12:24AM GMT
More on last post--I believe the John Collins of 1716-1778, who, incidentally, was an abolitionist, had a wife named Elizabeth Smith. I was unable to find out more, because there are so many Elizabeth Smiths from those days--such a common name. Any ideas?

Ian Civco (View posts)
Posted: 31 Aug 2002 12:33AM GMT
Surnames: COLLINS BOWEN PALMER
Regarding last two messages--I looked up some information, and I think there is an Elizabeth Smith in there somewhere, but John Collins, 1745-1843, was married to Elizabeth Morey, sometimes spelled Mowry. I think her mother may have been Elizabeth Smith. In any event, John Collins' father was John Collins, 1716-1778, and his mother was Mehitable Bowen, b. 1725. They were married in 1744. I hope thissolves some of the problems you have encountered and feel free to contact me for lots more information about Collins', Bowens, etc.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic