Search for content in message boards

Dalby Family - England

Dalby Family - England

Posted: 3 Nov 2009 3:52PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi everyone im new to all of this and trying to trace my roots, i dont know much about my family My name is Benita Dalby born Australia..My father is Christopher Dalby b.1960 Newton A, Cornwall, England..His parents are Doric H W Dalby and Patricia Hyde (Dalby) both born in england. As far as i have found Doric's mothers Maiden name is Prescott. If anyone has any information or hints please let me know.
Thankyou
Benita Dalby

Re: Dalby Family - England

Posted: 3 Nov 2009 6:27PM GMT
Surnames: Dalby
Hello, Benita - Newton Abbot is a town in south Devon (not Cornwall). I have traced Dalby relatives in that area - descendants of Augustus Dalby born 1779 in Howden, east Yorkshire. He served as a Master in the Royal Navy during the Napoleonic Wars, and retired to Cornwall. His two younger sons William and Nicholas lived in England (his eldest son Henry emigrated to New Zealand in 1841). William Bennett Dalby (born Saltash, Cornwall, 1824) was a Royal Navy surgeon and lived all his lie in Cornwall and devon, dying in Newton Abbot in 1884. He had ten children including 5 sons. I haven't been able to trace all their descendants, but I suspect that you will find a connection. If and when you do, please contact me off-board and I can send you a great deal of information about the Dalby family. Augustus was an elder brother of my ancestor Octavius Dalby - one of whose sons George Octavious emigrated to Adelaide in the 1850s.

I have checked Free BMD and Doric H W Dalby was born in Epping in 1931. This is in Essex, and is now an outer suburb of London: a long way from Newton Abbot! It may be that you are descendant of Nicholas Bennett Dalby, born 1826. He was a Major in the Royal Marines, and retired to Bishops Stortford, Hertfordshire (in the 1881 census), not very far from Epping. Apart from one daughter Nelly Lyttelton Bennett Dalby born in Hove, Sussex in 1862, I have no information about any other of Nicholas's children. However, I would suggest that if you find any Dalby ancestors with middle name 'Lyttelton' or 'Bennett' there's a good chance that they are the same family!
Best of luck - Stephen Henley

Posted: 3 Nov 2009 6:59PM GMT
Hello again, benita. I have done a little searching on FreeBMD and it seems the family didn't come from Devon - well at least not around the turn of the century. here is what I found:

Births Jun 1897
Dalby Harold Victor W. Ham 4a 355
(West Ham is in the east end of London - and is where I grew up. If he's from there, it could be that he's related to 'my' branch of the family descended from Octavius Dalby, who was a customs officer in the London Docks).

1901 census Harold V Dalbey Essex - age 4

1911 census HOUSEHOLD DALBY HAROLD VICTOR M 1897 age 14 Epping Essex

Marriages Dec 1918 (spouse surname in brackets)
Dalby Harold V (Prescott) Reading 2c 1084
Prescott Dorothy B (Dalby) Reading 2c 1084
(Reading is in Berkshire, to the west of London)

Births Sep 1921 (mother's maiden name in brackets)
Dalby Kenneth H V (Prescott) Edmonton 3a 1063
(Edmonton is in north London)

Births Sep 1931
Dalby Doric H W (Prescott) Epping 4a 616

Hope this helps - it takes you back one more generation at least. If you check the 1901 and 1911 census entries you should find the names of other family members, especially the parents.

Posted: 4 Nov 2009 3:47AM GMT
Thankyou so much, this really helps me! what you have found is excellent and a great for me to do more research! I will let you know if i find anything else and if we are related

Benita Dalby

Posted: 4 Nov 2009 9:02AM GMT
Hi, Benita - I hope it does help. What I should have added (in case you didn't already know) was that the numbers at the end of the birth and marriage references from FreeBMD were the volume and page numbers which you will need if you want to order copies of certificates from the UK General Register Office (you can order online from http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/ at a price of GBP 7.00 per certificate though you'll probably have to pay a bit extra for delivery to Australia).
If you want to check for possible links with my tree, you can find it on rootsweb - http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=siliconda...

Best of luck - Stephen

Posted: 4 Nov 2009 10:02AM GMT
Surnames: Dalby, Bright, Rogers
I am still lokking for connections to Dalby line. My grandmother was Ethel Augusta Dalby b 1897 in Darjeeling, India (British Colonial service)
In as much as family names get passed down, her middle name of Augusta rings true with Augustus & Octavious, so likely connection. I wonder if anyone knows of a Dalby with a military history who might have served in India?

Posted: 4 Nov 2009 10:18AM GMT
Hi Stephan you have been more than helpful! I have found a few more things i wonder if you recognise any of it:

Harold V Dalby's Father was William Bailey Dalby
His mother was Georgina but i cant seem to find her maiden name. Im totally new to this so after a few days using i may learn how to get more in depth info.

Then i started to look for Williams Bailey Dalby's father and mother and i found Martha Bement who i think is he mother and from the census records it looks as if she is in her 2nd marriage with 3 older children surnmaed Dalby and 3 younger children surnamed Bement.

Thanks for the info on how to order certificates, do you also know any good websites as to where i can find out more in depth about the lives of these people or is it pretty much what is recorded on here.

Posted: 4 Nov 2009 11:21AM GMT
Roger -
Nicholas Bennett Dalby (b.1826) was the youngest son of Augustus Dalby. He was a major in the Royal Marines. In 1861 he was a captain, stationed at the Royal Marine Barracks, Plymouth Division. He married Helen Lyttleton Bennett in Hove, Sussex, the same year, and they had a daughter Nelly in 1862. I have no information on other children. I also haven't found the family in the 1871 census so he could well have been serving overseas - and with a 20-years gap to 1881 could have had children who stayed in India. Nicholas and Helen were in Bishops Stortford, Herts, in 1881, and Nelly was an assistant teacher at St Margarets Naval School, Isleworth, Middlesex. Of course Ethel Augusta would have been a granddaughter if she was related to Nicholas.

His elder brother William Bennett Dalby was a naval surgeon. He died in 1884 but had at least four sons. I haven't researched Francis Higgs Dalby born 1853 in Penzance, but he seems to have settled in Lincolnshire, from the census entries. The second son, Augustus William, became a GP (born 1859), practising in Frome, Somerset in 1891 and 1901 (though conceivable that he went to India and returned in between). William Edward was born in Devon in 1865, was living there in 1881, and in 1901 was in Leamington, Warwickshire. I haven't found him in the 1891 census. However, he had 4 children in Leamington during the 1990s so I think can be eliminated. Herbert Ernest, born 1868, was with his brother Augustus in Frome in 1891 (living on 'own means'). He married in Christchurch, Hampshire, in 1896, but I lose track of him after that. As it is a military family, he is a possible candidate.

Posted: 4 Nov 2009 11:46AM GMT
Surnames: Bright, Rogers, Dalby, Hardie
Thank you very much. This looks very promising. I strongly believe a miltary connection is there as Ethel married into the Bright/Rogers/Hardie lines & I do have a miltary connection & also the Indian Civil service.
It gives me something to research anyway.

Posted: 4 Nov 2009 11:47AM GMT
Hello, Benita -
I haven't come across the name William Bailey Dalby, or a Georgina, or the surname Bement, so it could well be a different family.

I have found William Bailey Dalby's marriage on FreeBMD:
Marriages Dec 1892
Holman Georgina Kensington 1a 187

and a possible birth of William Bailey:
Births Dec 1869
Dalby William Bailey Cambridge 3b 490

and just possibly his father's marriage
Marriages Mar 1855
DALBY William Bailey Cambridge 3b 585

though of course you would need to check these with the census records as well. Origins in Cambridge would suggest that it isn't the same Dalby family, as I have traced no Cambridge connections among any of my Dalby relatives.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions