Search for content in message boards

Most media goes missing PC -> Mac

Most media goes missing PC -> Mac

Posted: 15 Jan 2013 8:59PM GMT
Classification: Query
This is a technical problem/question.

I've got a (actually 3, but focus on one first) .FTW file (and the FBK backup) from an old version of FTM. It was a really old version by Broderbund, and looking at the list of versions, must have been version 4. I want to move these to Mac.

There is a knowledge base article on how to update and move the file over, but it's not working perfectly for me. They say to use the trial of FTM 2005 SE on the PC and basically open and close the FBK and/or export it, and then open that file on the Mac (I have the latest version).

What happens when I do all that is most of the media files go missing. The thing is, the media files must be packed into the old .FTW, because it has already been moved from one PC to another and I can view all the media files with the PC's FTW 2005 SE app, so it can't be an issue of file links (i.e. media files in another directory referenced by the .FTW). The media must be packed inside the .FTW. It must be that the import feature on the Mac is buggy.

I'm a tech savvy guy, and I've followed the official instructions just fine. There's a bug.

Is there another way to go from "ye olde formats" to FTM For Mac 2 by some other method (other than PC FTM2005 -> For Mac 2)? Maybe some intermediate version will have more luck? Maybe I can do a web sync with the media and everything?

Worst case scenario: Is there a way to export just the media files out of a .FTM (on PC)?

Thanks for reading. My mom passed recently and I gotta save this family tree...

Re: Most media goes missing PC -> Mac

Posted: 15 Jan 2013 10:43PM GMT
Maybe one solution once you have run the FTM 2005 starter edition and converted your FTM version 4 file and checked that the media is there is to open the file in FTM 2012 for Windows and convert it to .ftm format then use the File Migration Utility that ships with your FTM2 CD to convert it again for FTMM2

Bit of a scenic route but should work OK

I haven't heard of the problem of FTMM2 not converting a .FTW from the SE correctly

John D

Posted: 15 Jan 2013 10:57PM GMT
Thank you for the suggestion. Too bad that version doesn't have a free trial. But I'll attempt that if any other method I come up with fails.

I think I'll look into other FTM for PC versions with free trials between 2005 SE and 2012. Maybe one of those will help.

Posted: 15 Jan 2013 11:05PM GMT
nhramits,

When you looked at the file in FTM2005, were ALL of the Media files there?

FTM2006, Version 16 and earlier, as you suggested, have ALL of the media files within the FTW file.

It's not clear to me, IF you used the FTW file, from FTM2005 to open it (the FTW file) with FTMM-2.

How many media files are NOT in the Media Workspace in FTMM-2?

Russ

Posted: 15 Jan 2013 11:59PM GMT
@Russ - Yes, on this PC with the old .FTW file I opened it with FTM 2005 SE. If I go to my mother's entry (for example), she has 95 media files in there and I am able to view them all while using FTM 2005 SE. But then when I go to export that FTW, bring it over to the latest Mac version, and import it (turning it into a .ftmm2 file with side media folder), and I go view my mom's page, it shows thumbnails for all 95 media files, but I can't open and view most of them. I get that "file not found" sort of popup. If I go and look at the media folder with Finder, there aren't nearly enough media items in there (they're all images by the way, nothing fancy).

Quick summary: I made an updated .FTW file with 2005 SE, brought that over to the Mac, and then opened that file (it crunches it and turns it into the newer .ftmm2 format). And then most media files missing (just thumbnails).

I can't answer exactly how many are missing. I'm not sure how to count all media files with the PC 2005 SE version. I guesstimate probably 7% of the media files are making it through.

Honestly, I'm thinking of acquiring a PC version of FTM 2012, stepping forward to that with the .FTW I have, and then trying to jump it over to Mac.

Thanks again.

Posted: 16 Jan 2013 12:17AM GMT
ZeyaV,

If you go to the Media Workspace, you will see how many Media files are there. With finder, in the Media folder, associated with your file, you should see the same number of media files.

The path to the Media folder is in the Media Workspace, with any media item selected in the lower right corner.

Johndd - another missing feature in FTMM-2 - find missing media files.

Russ

Posted: 16 Jan 2013 1:00AM GMT
@Russ - I don't see "Media Workspace" anywhere in the PC FTM 2005 SE application. Could you steer me toward that?

Or do you mean in the Mac FTM app? There's a tab for "Media" there. That must be what you mean. There are 663 media items. Yeah, in the lower-right it has "Filename and location" for the highlighted media item. The vast majority are red and have a name like "2097.jpg" or whatever. But a few are actually in that media folder.

Meanwhile, the media folder has 39 items. :(

So the migration from PC 2005 SE -> For Mac 2 lost 94% of the media files.

And your final comment about "find missing media files", there is that. If I go to open one of the thumbnails for a media item, it pops up with a window to either manually or automatically find that media file. (Of course they aren't on this Mac in my case.)

Posted: 16 Jan 2013 3:03AM GMT
ZeyaV,

No, the Media Workspace is in FTMM-2

Russ

Posted: 16 Jan 2013 3:18AM GMT
Agreed Russ and I saw you note to Provo

John D

Posted: 16 Jan 2013 8:37PM GMT
Edited: 16 Jan 2013 8:38PM GMT
Just for anyone interested in the future, it looks like this other person has the same problem (can't get media files over to Mac). See this thread:
http://boards.ancestry.com/thread.aspx?o=0&m=9287.1.2.2&...

Can somebody tell me though, is there a FTM for PC version I can step my .FTW forward to, such that I can get at the media files themselves? (And then I can bring the media files over to Mac and link them manually one by one. Someone implied that capability isn't there, but it is.) Or is there any other method I can extract media files from a .FTW?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions