Search for content in message boards

Samuel Sanders/Indiana/Cherokee

Samuel Sanders/Indiana/Cherokee

Posted: 3 Feb 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 1 Jul 2001 8:55PM GMT
Looking for info on Samuel Sanders born in NC about 1830. He married a woman named Sela. They lived in Dubois County,Indiana. They had at least 3 daughters:Sarah,Margaret and Nancy. Nancy was born about 1855 and married William Tabor in 1873 and married Matthew Gardner in 1876.Samuel was Cherokee.

Re: Samuel Sanders/Indiana/Cherokee

Posted: 14 Dec 2003 5:11AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 10 Jul 2004 6:51AM GMT
Surnames: Sanders
I am also tracing the family tree of Samuel Sanders. May I ask how you know that he was Cherokee? My grandfather has often told us that we had Indian blood in us, but he didn't know from where. Samuel's daughter Nancy married Matthew Gardner and that is from whom I descend. I have also see where some have said that Matthew also had Indian blood. This greatly interests me.

Posted: 14 Dec 2003 7:55AM GMT
Edited: 11 Mar 2006 8:36AM GMT
Surnames: Sanders, Saunders
Do you happen to know who Samuel's father is?

We have been told that our Sanders line has Native American and that we are Cherokee. This comes from the my husband's aunts the daughters of Cora Sanders.

Thank you.
Joy Durrett
December 13, 2003

Posted: 6 Feb 2004 5:13AM GMT
Samuel's parents were Benjamin Sanders born about 1792 in NC and Sarah born about 1809 in KY.

Posted: 6 Feb 2004 5:27AM GMT
Melissa- No proof on Indian blood just have been told by gr aunt (sister of my grandmother Esther Patton) that we did. I do have a picture of Margaret Gardner Patton (daughter of Matthew and Nancy). She looks very Indian. My line is Margaret Gardner, Esther Patton, Ray Wakeland. What is your line? Would love to swap info.

Posted: 6 Feb 2004 5:39AM GMT
Surnames: Patton
I doubt I have anything that you don't already have. :) I noticed that you've conversed with my uncle Mark Prow. He's where I've gotten most of my information and he's sited you as a reference on some of his information. Mark married my father's only sister so he's married into the family. I'm blood related to Margaret Gardner Patton. Her daughter, Pearl, is my great-grandfather. Her son, Thomas Jr., was my grandfather. I haven't recently worked on my dad's family tree so I'm a bit rusty. :) My grandfather passed away two days before Christmas this past year so I haven't really had the heart to work much on it lately. He always claimed that we had Indian blood, but didn't offer any info as to where it comes from. He didn't like to talk much about his family. It was only at his funeral that I met some of his family. I have met his brother and a few of his sisters though, but they're not close to the family. I'd be glad to swap any info I have with you. Is there anything in particular that you're interested in?

Posted: 6 Feb 2004 5:52AM GMT
My gr aunt Bertha told me that Margaret Gardner was full blooded Indian. Half Cherokee and half Shawnee ( I forgot the other but a cousin said it was Shawnee.) I have talked to Harold and Claude Patton(her brothers) They don't know how much or what kind.My Aunt who is daughter of Esther and my Dad don't know how much either. According to info we have been finding, Matthew Gardner was German so Margaret could not have been full blooded. If you are related to Mark Prow then I'm sure we have the same info.

Posted: 6 Feb 2004 6:12AM GMT
Surnames: Sanders, Patton
I don't think he has very much information on the Indian blood research. He and I share our notes as we come across them, but he's not given me any notes on that. I know he had a computer crash about a year or so ago and so it is possible that he's lost that. I would be interested in any information or sources regarding that. Something else the Patton family has passed on to my family is the tendency towards twins. Margaret had a set though they died they day they were born. I don't know if any of her other children had twins. Her daughter Pearl didn't, but two of her daughters each had a set. I know one set was premature and didn't make it and I believe the other set died young as well. My grandfather's (Pearl's son) eldest son had a set. And his daughter (not a twin) had a set. The rest of us are quaking in our boots. :)

Posted: 6 Feb 2004 7:01AM GMT
Edited: 11 Mar 2006 8:36AM GMT
Do you know who Benjamin's chidren were? My Abner was born in 1810 not sure where.

You can email me at jmdurrett@charter.net

Thank you.
Joy

re: Samuel Sanders/Indiana/Cherokee

Posted: 7 Feb 2004 12:05AM GMT
The children that I am aware of are:William abt 1818, Henry abt 1819, Elizabeth abt 1827, Samuel abt 1828, Melinda abt 1833, Sarah abt 1835, Marion abt 1837 and Martha J. abt 1840. There were some Sanders in Martin Co and Orange Co if you haven't looked there yet. Sorry I can't be of more help.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic