Search for content in message boards

Caroline County reference for lookup

Caroline County reference for lookup

ElaineRussell29 (View posts)
Posted: 21 Oct 2005 8:45PM GMT
Classification: Query
I have a copy of the History of Caroline County Va by Wingfield 1727-1924 which I will gladly accept lookup from.
If I have your surname I will gladly copy and send to you via snail mail.
I also have a copy of Early Settlers in Va by Thelma Bastow available for lookups. Most of this material can be emailed

Re: Caroline County reference for lookup

Derrell Oakley Teat (View posts)
Posted: 21 Oct 2005 10:15PM GMT
Please look for anyone with these names:
SPEARMAN & MARTIN

Thanks for your kindness,
Derrell Oakley Teat
margaret.teat2@verizon.net

Posted: 21 Oct 2005 10:26PM GMT
Edited: 9 Jan 2006 9:54PM GMT
Surnames: LONG,COGSWELL, FITZWATER, BEAN, GOAD, COX, BURGESS
I would be most interested in any LONGs & COGSWELLs in Caroline County (or Culpeper County if that is mentioned in the Early Settlers in Va).
Thank you so kindly for your time.
Chris

Cindy Vutetakis (View posts)
Posted: 23 Oct 2005 9:06PM GMT
Surnames: LONG LONGE
Chris, I saw an earlier posting you had on the Long's of Caroline / Rappahanock County. I descend from John and Ann Long. Not sure of when John was born but he died 1756. His children were Ambrose, Francis, Ann and John JR. I believe that John Long was possibly brother to Richard Long found also in the early part of the 1700's in Caroline County. They were the children of Jeremiah and Frances Longe. I would love to trade information with you on the early Long's of Caroline County. My line is Ambrose. He left Caroline County after protesting his fathers will. He joined the war and then settled in Caswell/Person County of NC. I look forward to working with you. Thank You CINDY VUTETAKIS

Posted: 24 Oct 2005 12:58AM GMT
Edited: 9 Jan 2006 9:54PM GMT
Surnames: LONG, COGSWELL, FISHER, FITZWATER, BURGESS, CHEW, HARPER
Cindy,
I can't prove that my Longs were descended from Frances and Jeremiah Long, but I certainly believe they were. I also think they are somehow descended from Gabriel Long who married Margaret Harrison. Remember that "sometime before 1718 Gabriel Long married Margaret, daughter of Andrew Harrison at Essex County". My Laurence Long, said to have been born 10 May 1747/50 in Culpeper County, had a brother named John. Now it is documented that they were brothers. They both served in the Revolutionary War. John was born 25 December 1755 at Port Royal, Caroline County. John had a grandson named "Harrison"! I just haven't been able to find proof of the connection. Laurence named his children:Reuben, Nancy, Sarah, Elizabeth, Gabriel, John, William, James and Nicholas. James is my direct line. James named his sons: Nicholas, Thomas, James A. , John W. and Gabriel.
My Laurence Long had a partnership with wealthy land owner Edward Carter of the Shirley Plantation. Laurence purchased land for him in Kentucky. I have not figured out how this connection came to pass.
Laurence bound himself as an apprentice to John Davis, joiner and carpenter, to learn the business, until the age of 21 years in St. Mark's Parish, Culpeper County-October 18, 1765 which shows that he had to be at least 14 years of age to do that.
Laurence and his brother John migrated from Virginia to Kentucky and then on to the Louisiana Territory in 1797.
Are you familiar with the My Family.com WARE LONG Ancestry Page? This is primarily about the LONGS of early Virginia. There is a lot of wonderful information on this web site.
There is so much information and yet so little!! I would love to trade any information and help you any way I can.
Chris

Elaine Russell29 (View posts)
Posted: 24 Oct 2005 6:57PM GMT
Sorry I couldn't have been of more help to you
ELaine

Posted: 24 Oct 2005 7:36PM GMT
Chris,
From the History of Caroline County by Wingfield
I have a Richard Long buying 1165 acres on 8-9-1734 Book 15 page 286.
Another Richard buying 340 ares in St. Margarets Parish on 6-13-1729.
An Albert Long graduated from Edmund Pendleton H.S. 1923.

From Early Va Settlers by Bastow
For Longe surname I have:
Nicholas living in 1623 in Archers Hoop
Richard living in Bassie Choice with wife and child Unnamed
William living in Elizabeth Citte in 1623
John Long Died between 4-1622 and 2-1623 at Hog Hand
Ellias Long living in 1623 att West & Sherlow hundred
Hope this in some way aids in your search
Elaine

Posted: 24 Oct 2005 8:16PM GMT
Surnames: LONG, COGSWELL, FISHER, FITZWATER, HARPER, BURGESS, CHEW, BEAN, WEST, CHENEY
Elaine,
Thank you so much. I guess no mention of the surname Cogswell or possibly Coggshall?
I appreciate your time so much!!
Chris

Posted: 25 Oct 2005 4:27PM GMT
Sorry, the Cogswell name or any of its variants are not present.
Elaine

Joanne (View posts)
Posted: 26 Oct 2005 12:33PM GMT
Surnames: Fields, Sixberry, Heiser, Allen, Shannon, McNulty
I would appreciate a lookup on "Fields" and "Sixberry". John and Meredith lived in Caroline County and raised about 11 children there. Thank you for your time and any help.
Joanne
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions