Search for content in message boards

HENDERSON/ALLEN FAMILIES

HENDERSON/ALLEN FAMILIES

DOROTHY L. GUNDLING (View posts)
Posted: 3 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: HENDERSON, ALLEN
BENJAMIN TEMPLE HENDERSON WAS BORN NOVEMBER 11, 1869 IN BERTHAVILLE, KING GEORGE COUNTY, VIRGINIA. I AM TRYING TO FIND OUT WHAT HIS PARENTS NAMES WERE.
NETTIE MOORE HENDERSON WAS BORN OCTOBER 10, 1870 IN PASSAPATANSY, KING GEORGE COUNTY, VIRGINIA. HER MOTHER'S MAIDEN NAME WAS SARAH ALLEN. I AM TRYING TO FIND OUT WHAT HER FATHER'S NAME WAS. BENJAMIN AND NETTIE WERE MARRIED AT THE MOUNTAIN GROVE BAPTIST CHURCH IN KING GEORGE COUNTY ON JUNE 15, 1892.

Henderson Family

Dorothy Gundling (View posts)
Posted: 6 Dec 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Allen, Owens, Henderson
I have received the 1880 Census of King George County and have located both of my Henderson grandparents and their parents and siblings. I'm still not sure about my grandmother Henderson (this was her maiden name and her married name). Her name was Nettie Moore Henderson, born in Pasapatansy, King George County, Virginia in 1870, died in Washington, D.C. in 1943 and is buried in Congressional Cemetery in Washington, D.C. However her name is listed as Annette instead of Nettie which makes us unsure of her real name. My grandfather's name was Benjamin Temple Henderson, born in King George County in 1869 and died in Arlington,Virginia and is buried in the Congressional Cemetery in Washington, D.C. Grandmother's father was Gustavas Henderson and her mother's name was Sarah Ann Allen (according to my father's notes found as I went through his belongings following his death). However the genealogy I received from William Fleet (a distant cousin) Sarah Ann's last name was Owens. So I have some question here about this. My grandfather Benjamin Temple Henderson's father was named James L. Henderson and his mother's name was Julia Allen. I understand the Allen's came to the USA in the late 1600's on the Aris and the Dove, landing in St. Mary's County, Maryland and settled on both sides of the Potomac River. I also found out that there are many, many Hendersons in King George County and also there are many, many Allens in King George County. So I am trying to clear up some of this mystery. I would appreciate any help you can give on this. We had always been told that my grandfather's father had been a very strict (and that is coining a positive description) overseer and his family had been German originally but had anglicized their name to Henderson. But that was an old story handed down. Thank you for contacting me. I appreciate it very, very much. Dorothy Gundling, 111 Coburn Drive West, Bluffton, SC 29910
843-683-8390. Sincerely, Dorothy

Benjamin Henderson

Bob Henderson (View posts)
Posted: 6 Dec 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Henderson
Have you checked the 1870 census for King George County for an infant or 1 year old named Benjamin? You can probably find his parents in that Census. There were 10 different Henderson families living in King George County near each other in 1850. Can you identify any of them?

Bob Henderson
Greer, SC

Gustavus Henderson

Posted: 8 Dec 1999 12:00PM GMT
Boy, quick response. Our Gustavus was born to the best of our knowledge in 1830. His father was Cary Henderson and his mother Catherine Truslow. That is all I know about him. I do know he is listed in the 1880 Census as being 50 years old. Cary's father was Thomas Henderson (b. 1765) Cary's mother ws Nancy King. Thomas Henderson's father was William Henderson - birthday unknown. William's wife's name was Jemima (no birthdate or last name is known). Grandfather Benjamin Temple Henderson's father was James L. Henderson (b. 1833. James L. Henderson's father was Robert Henderson (b. 1795). His mother was Elizabeth. Robert Henderson's father was Thomas Henderson (yes the same Thomas as above) and as said before Thomas Henderson's father was William. So it appears that my Grandmother and Grandfather were distant relatives although they both denied any knowledge of any relationship. They were rather uneducated farm people and I wonder if that genealogy had been lost by each family. I guess we'll never know. But I really would like to have a clear picture of all of this. This information was provided by the Mormon Genealogical Society as I said before. William M. Fleet (related to my grandfather Henderson - He was William M. Fleet's great uncle. My grandmother said many times she and grandpa were not related. However this study proves her wrong - if this accurate. Thanks for your interest and work. I really appreciate it. I don't know about you but I find this very, very interesting. Thanks again. Sincerely, Dorothy

King George Hendersons

I see Augustus F Henderson b 1830 in the 1850 Giles, VA census. Could this be your Gustavus Henderrson of King George? The next time I go to the LIbrary, I will try to find your Hendersons in the 1870 VA census.

Bob Henderson

Hendersons in King George Co. VA.

Dear Bob: Thanks for your message. The records we have from King George County, Virginia indicate the following: My grandparents, Benjamin Temple Henderson was born on November 19, 1869. He married my grandmother, Nettie Moore Henderson, born on October 10, 1870, on June 15, 1892 at Mountain View Church in Pasapatansy, King George County, Virginia. Her father's name was Gustavus Henderson. Her brothers' names (at least two of them) were Addison and Gusty A. This is all I can give you at this time. I do appreciate your help. Sincerely, Dorothy

Hendersons of King George

Dorothy, thanks for your informaion. Have you checked the 1870 King George Census for James L Henderson? I have the 1850 King George Hendersons. There is a Julia but her husband is John Henderson. There is a James but his wife is Elizabeth. If you could find a 1 year old named Benjamin Henderson in the 1870 census, you would have the right tie in.

I have a lot of Benjamins in my file, and may have yours, we just need to get a little more data.

My wife and I spend a wonderful vacation in Blufton about 35 years ago.

Bob Henderson
119 Pinewood Dr
Greer, SC 29651-1441

Clan Henderson

Posted: 9 Dec 1999 12:00PM GMT
Thanks so very much. I have your mailing all ready for tomorrow's post. I wish I could figure out how to e-mail this to you but also noted I would still have to mail you the copies of the 1880 census. Perhaps you can forward some of this mailing to Dr. Loftin. Also perhaps the present Henderson family growth (From King George County, Virginia to Washington, D.C. to Massachusetts to California to South Carolina to Missouri, etc.) will be added to the long list of Henderson families in this USA. Thanks again. Dorothy

Dr Loftin's Address

Dr Horace Loftin, President & Genealogist
Clan Henderson of North America
218 Greenwood Dr
Panama City, FL 32407

Henderson

Me again. Could you send me the address of Dr. Horace Loftin? I would like to search more records if possible in King George County, Virginia. Still working on my records. Will send you them as soon as they are printed. I don't know if you want to correspond with William M. Fleet (his mother was Henderson) but his address is 122 E. Middle Street, Gettysburg, PA 17325. I'll try to send these records in the morning. Thanks for your interest and patience. By the way, I don't think you would recognize Bluffton these days. Yet it is still so beautiful here. Sincerely, Dorothy
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions