Search for content in message boards

Cowell's from NY to WI to KS to MT

Cowell's from NY to WI to KS to MT

Posted: 25 Aug 2000 10:14PM GMT
Edited: 1 Feb 2005 6:33AM GMT
Here's some info on my Cowell history. Anyone who has "pieces" for me, please let me know.

My grandmother was Vern Edith Cowell. Born 1989 in Stevensville, Montana.

Her father was Seldon Dennis Cowell. Born 1860 in Darien, Wisconsin. He married Carrie Carmen (Carman?) in 1886 in Cherryvale, Kansas before migrating to Stevensville, Mt in 1894.

Seldon's father was Firman A. Cowell. Born in Spencer, NY in 1829. Firman moved to Wisconsin sometime in 1840's to Grant County (Lima township) with siblings before moving to Darien sometime around 1859. Firman then migrated with two sons to Cherry Township, Kansas. He must have remarried around 1870 to Margaret and had three more children; William H. Cowell, Laura Cowell and Grace Cowell. Firman's first wife was Sarah J. Carson, born in Wisconsin. No record of death. Also have no death record for Firman.

Firman's father was Henry Cowell, also of Spencer, NY. Henry's father was Joshua Cowell, born in Connecticut?

Firman Cowell

Posted: 30 Aug 2000 7:19AM GMT
Edited: 3 Jul 2001 1:07AM GMT
Looking for my own roots I remembered your message and want to share information I found that might be a link to your family. In the Wisconsin marraige index I found a "Farman" Cowell listed who married on Nov. 25, 1852 in Grant County, Wi. It is recorded in Vol 2, page 008 Vol A. Time didn't allow me to seach any farther. As I didn't see the actual license I could not get any other names.
Doris Schiller

Firman COWELL

Posted: 22 Sep 2000 10:59PM GMT
Edited: 25 Sep 2001 2:58AM GMT
Firman is my GGGgrandfather. I have the line back to Edward COWELL of Boston. His two wives were sisters so all descendants of the marriage are of the same lines. The 'matricide' includes the 'witch' Susannah ROOT/E/S of Salem. The family just had a reunion in CA. I have a copy of a photo of Henry and all his sons, including Forman, taken in CA in the 1860's.
Posted: 23 Sep 2000 1:25PM GMT
Edited: 1 Feb 2005 6:33AM GMT
Connie, thanks for the reply. I know have been contacted by many folks in the Cowell line and received a scanned copy of the picture you referred to.

I recently spoke with Ron Lawrence who sent me a wealth of information/research on Henry and his family. I believe he mentioned your name to me as well.

Firman is my GG Grandfather. I have sent my GEDCOM files to Ron and Jeanne. I'd be glad to send you it as well.

My line with Firman is: Firman had Seldon Dennis Cowell. "Denny" had my grandmother, Vern Edith Cowell (b. 1898, d. 1982). Vern had my mother, Virginia Elain Orvis (b. 1929).

My mom married George Roger Llewelyn in 1950. They had me (Michael Todd), Joanne Carrie (Carrie being the name of Seldon's wife, Carrie Carman) and Lisa Kay.

I got a lot of pictures last week from my mom of Seldon, probably taken in the early 1930's when he was living in Stevensville, Montana) I will be scanning those and can send if you like.

I'd appreciate any information you have on your line following Firman to fill in the gaps.

Ron told me about the reunion. I probably will take my mom to Manteca next spring. She had very little info on the Cowell's other than anecdotal info so now she's overwhelmed with the recent info. She never saw a picture of Firman until last week!

If you'd like to send info or have any sent, send me your email. Mine is mikeandaudrey1@home.com.

Mike Llewelyn

joshua cowell killed sept..1756/lake george,ny

Posted: 27 Oct 2000 7:33PM GMT
Edited: 29 Jun 2001 11:41AM GMT
FENCH AND INDIAN WAR JOSHUA COWELL AND HIS SON JOHN WENT FROM WOODBURY, CONN. JOHN LIVES AND WHEN THE FRENCH AND INDIAN WAR ARE OVER AND THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION -JOHN AND HIS SONS SHOW UP IN NY CENSUS 1790 AROUND ALBANY. . JOHN COWELL IN 1806 MOVES WHITH 4 YOUNGER SONS TO SPENCER, NY. JOHN'S ELDEST SON JOHN STAYS IN WESTERLOO, NY-JUST SOUTH OF ALBANY. THIS COWELL LINE IS VER INTERESTING. IT STARTS WITH BOSTON 1640 -EDWARD COWELL .HE IS BURRIED ON THE FREEDOM TRAILK GRANURY BURIAL GROUND NEXT TO PAUL REEVER, MOTHER GOOSE AND JOHN HANCOCK. OUR LINE GOES EDWARD SON OF EDWARD GOES TO TRURO,MASS . HIS WIFE IS A MAYFLOWER -OFF OF THOMAS ROGER 1620. DO YOU HAVE ALL THIS INFO?
KATHERINE COWELL COLLINS

Cowell/Root

Posted: 18 Nov 2000 5:07AM GMT
Edited: 24 Jun 2001 11:39AM GMT
Connie:
I was searching for the parents of my Anna Cowell when I came across your message that mentioned Susanna Root. Since she is from my line I'm in hopes you can help me. Anna m. Adonijah Root. I am directly decended from their son, William Root who m. Martha Lyons. I have most of the information on my Root line but any assistance on the Cowell line would be greatly appreciated. My e-mail address is sbelden@accn.org

Thanks,
Sherlene Schmitt-Belden
Allegan, MI

ROOT's Roots

Posted: 18 Nov 2000 7:44PM GMT
I am connected to the ROOTs via Abiah, who is Adonijah's sister. Their spouses were not, however, siblings. Joshua COWELL was the son of John and Rebecca HINES COWELL. I do not know, off the top of my head, which Anna COWELL married Adonijah... it was not an uncommaon family name. I will look it up and get back. In any case it is likely your COWELL line goes back to Edward of Boston via either the Boston or Wrentham lines. If you have access to a FHL you can request films of the two Roger BARNES pamphlets (COWELLs of Wrentham and Some Descendants of Edward COWELL 1616-1691... I'll check on the nos for you) for details and clues about this family. There has been much discussion of these COWELLs in that section of this site.

Root/Cowell

Posted: 19 Nov 2000 4:19AM GMT
Connie:
This is really exciting. I have not been able to connect my Anna to any Cowell family. I do know that Anna and Adonijah were from Greenville, Greene Co, NY because that's where their son, William, was born. William and his wife,Martha Lyons, although it hasn't been proven yet, were probably married in Coxsackie or Barton, NY. They ended up in Liberty Twp, Tioga Co, PA where Martha died. William then moved to Kalamazoo, MI to live with their son, Justus Lyons Root. Would appreciate any info you have on Anna's ancestors. I have been doing all of the Root lines and would love to have your information if you are willing to share it.
Sherlene Schmitt-Belden
Allegan, MI
sbelden@accn.org

Root/Cowell

Posted: 25 Nov 2000 4:07AM GMT
Connie:
I pulled my James Pierce Root book out and found your Abiah Joshua. Looks like you must be decended from their only son, Chauncey? Have you ever had connections with any other of Abiah's sibling's descendants? I'd love to fill in some of the blanks in James' book.

I have been trying to complete Adonijah's and Anna's children's families. So far I have had contact with 4 of William's siblings but still have 3 more to find.

Sherlene Belden
sbelden@accn.org

abiah and joshua

Posted: 25 Nov 2000 10:12AM GMT
injured rt hand... bad grammar acceptable? james knew of only chauncey at the time he wrote... there were others, including my henry b16dec1807 tioga spencer ny m 25may1828 ellida mc master... also, probably, rebecca b13aug1797, enos c. b2mar1799 and asa b ca 1809... possibly others. james also placed chauncey in new jersey, but i show him 1850 us census in spencer tioga ny. goes to prove you still must go to primary sources. as i am working more than one of my family lines trying to get as much data for my dad, who started me on this quest so long ago, i have not had time to follow ancillary lines, tho at times they beckon... so i know no more about 'abby's' sibs than you.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic